Why become a member? ×

Bass-related dreams

Pea Turgh

Posted more for amusement than anything, but I’ve been having these frustrating dreams where the neck of what ever bass I’m playing folds at each fret (like it’s hinged) under the tension of the strings, so the neck curls toward the bridge as I’m playing. I have to bend it back out then to continue playing. What’s that all about?!

Not having any background in psychology, nor having read enough Freud that I feel compelled to ascribe all thoughts, dreams, and other subconscious brain activity to an inherent desire to have it off with one's own mother, I'm afraid I can't offer an explanation for your dreams.

I can, however, reassure you that you are not alone. I have had similar dreams in which my instruments bends, folds, or shrinks to the size of a ukulele. In one case, I was on stage trying to play a borrowed bass on which the strings resembled those coiled, springy, rubber keychains that were briefly popular in the mid-to-late nineties. In another, I left other band members to pack the gear while I went ahead to set up the venue, had to berate them for forgetting to pack my amp, and found myself trying to amplify my bass using the "paper cup telephone" method and running a taut string from the body of the bass to a floor tom.

I'm sure there are others; in some respects I'm quite grateful that I forget the majority of my dreams...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I once had a dream in which I went into a guitar shop and asked to have a go on the Aria Black and Gold they had on the ceiling (?).

The shop kindly obliged but when it was handed to me it turned out to be a Hohner Steinberger copy. Not wanting to appear rude I played it, only to realise it was the GREATEST TONE EVER. So great that a crowd soon formed in awe at the sound.

The dream was years ago, before I'd ever played an Aria SB, but I still want to try one of those Hohners.

• Haha 2

I have had a few where sizing becomes somewhat questionable, I have gone on stage and thought "where is my bass....ahh it's ok it's in my pocket!" gets said bass out which is now full sized, plays songs them puts bass back in pocket...it makes me smile

My favourite one was I was being chased by the old bill in this huge old American car, I couldn't shake the fuzz off so I drove behind a bush, got out the car, put the car in my pocket and waited until the fuzz had passed before putting the car back on the road and driving off....I am sure brain had been smoking something funny without telling or sharing it with me!

• Haha 1

The only musical dreams I seem to get involve being roped into an impromptu gig with unfamiliar material and being told not to worry because I should be OK simply playing by ear. I am then given an instrument I cannot play, such as the piano or saxophone, and have to randomly hit keys in the hope that something musical happens (spoiler: It never does). I blame this.

Something such as that mentioned above, with weird folding instruments, would be a lot more interesting.

6 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Posted more for amusement than anything, but I’ve been having these frustrating dreams where the neck of what ever bass I’m playing folds at each fret (like it’s hinged) under the tension of the strings, so the neck curls toward the bridge as I’m playing. I have to bend it back out then to continue playing. What’s that all about?!

I used to have that dream all the time, where the entire bass folds up. I could never fix it either. I just lump it in with all my other anxiety-related dreams, which is most of them. 😂

When my instrument’s neck isn’t failing catastrophically, I also dream that I’ve written the best song ever.  Or the best bass line ever.

In last night’s episode (before the neck coiled like a snake) I was going to play and sing “Lets Dance” for my work colleagues.  I did a really good Bowie impersonation.

11 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Posted more for amusement than anything, but I’ve been having these frustrating dreams where the neck of what ever bass I’m playing folds at each fret (like it’s hinged) under the tension of the strings, so the neck curls toward the bridge as I’m playing. I have to bend it back out then to continue playing. 

So in other words, the long straight pole thing, which should ideally remain rigid, flexes when it shouldn't, hindering your "performance". As you say, "frustrating".

11 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

What’s that all about?!

I simply couldn't begin to guess....😉

• Haha 1