Why become a member? ×

Name This Rock Instrumental From The 90's?

mep

OK, I need the BC collective to help me with a long standing dilemma that has bugged me for some time. The name and artist of a rock instrumental song from around the 90's.

This started in the early 90's when a guitarist friend of mine, who l'm no longer in contact with, kept hearing this song on the Spanish radio. Eventually he got to record it to cassette tape. There was no mention of the song or artist name by the DJ after playing it. Eventually we learnt it and introduced it to our set in a band at the time. 

I have since asked 2 guitarists and they haven't been able to help. It sounds like Satriani but isn't apparently. I have tried SoundHound too but no result.

I have uploaded to SoundCloud a recording of the song played by another band we formed for a one off show. It was recorded using a minidisc recorder with a fairly budget mic at the back of the venue.

Hopefully someone knows of this song.

I have had to use my current bands account for this but it's not us.

Edit - Song no longer on SoundCloud

Edited by mep

I'm fairly certain it isn't Steve Morse - both because of style and because I played all his records to death. 

I remember that at the time of Satriani's "Surfing With the Alien", an album was released by a lesser guitar god in roughly the same vein as the footage in the OP, so if there's a list somewhere, and one checks albums from 1986 to 1988, then maybe this can be narrowed down considerably.
Can't be of more help, sorry.

12 hours ago, BassTractor said:

I'm fairly certain it isn't Steve Morse - both because of style and because I played all his records to death. 

I remember that at the time of Satriani's "Surfing With the Alien", an album was released by a lesser guitar god in roughly the same vein as the footage in the OP, so if there's a list somewhere, and one checks albums from 1986 to 1988, then maybe this can be narrowed down considerably.
Can't be of more help, sorry.

Guy Mann-Dude, maybe ?

After several relistening to old guitar heroes CD's, I can tell that it's definitely not :

Joe Satriani,

Steve Vai,

Blues Saraceno,

Guy Mann-Dude,

Eric Johnson,

Jeff Beck,

Steve Lylliwhite,

Steve Lukather,

Steve Morse.

I'm still searching as it sounds familiar to me. Maybe some Alex Skolnick, Dweezil Zappa, Ron Thal, Mattias IA Eklundh (not active in the early 90's, that said), Christophe Godin, Steve Stevens, Paul Gilbert and the likes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ectoplasm said:

It's "Speed of Light" by Joe Satriani.

It's from "Time Machine".

Thanks. Excellent work. At last I now know after all these years. It's great to hear the original again. It always sounded like Satriani but nobody could put a name to it. Now with the power of the internet and help of BC we know.

• Like 2

I've been a fan of Joe's since first hearing Big Bad Moon '89, so I know this tune well.

I got to see him play at Poole Arts Centre in '96, and I can still picture Stu Hamm starting his bass solo wearing a big fake rubber thumb.

Edited by Ectoplasm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

After several relistening to old guitar heroes CD's, I can tell that it's definitely not :

Joe Satriani,

Steve Vai,

Blues Saraceno,

Guy Mann-Dude,

Eric Johnson,

Jeff Beck,

Steve Lylliwhite,

Steve Lukather,

Steve Morse.

I'm still searching as it sounds familiar to me. Maybe some Alex Skolnick, Dweezil Zappa, Ron Thal, Mattias IA Eklundh (not active in the early 90's, that said), Christophe Godin, Steve Stevens, Paul Gilbert and the likes.

Whoops, need to brush up on your Joe stuff 👍😀