Why become a member? ×

Why is picking a band name so bloody hard?

Newfoundfreedom

On 27/11/2019 at 22:33, Thunderpaws said:

Off the top of my head while o brush my teeth:

The Broken Arrows

Loose Cannons

Lose Cannons

Mint

And to prove the point... I was recently in a cover band called ‘Loose Cannon’.

There’s at least one more with the same name... I had to handle a complaint via our Facebook page from a gentleman in the US regarding our namesakes disturbing his elderly father with noisy rehearsals and late night load-ins!

• Haha 2

This has got me thinking about my own bands over the years, and I think only one would have been unique - “Gimme Server”. A Stones tribute made up of guys working for the same computer firm!

My last two originals band both had their music mixed up on Spotify. We managed to sort out one - Scarlets is fine, but Underwood’s second album appears to be sung entirely in Russian.

I think it’s less important for cover bands to have a unique name, given they’ll generally cover a limited area. For example, I was in a wedding focused band called ‘Something Borrowed’ (get it?), and we discovered one in London with the same name. I don’t think either of us would have travelled 400 miles for a gig.

One tip for uniqueness would be to follow the example of Chvrches and deliberately misspell a common word, making it easier to find you on search engines.

Enough rambling from me....

46 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

Cat Cannons?

Or Baroque, D Cat Cannons

I love baroque names! "Go Fugue Yourself", to name a terrible, terrible oldie once again
...which reminds me of those tacky album titles on cheapo labels in the 60s and 70s - in which both fugues and saxophones ("Please Have Sax With Me" and "Saxy Sax - No Headache") often made their appearance.

• Haha 1

A local bunch of older musicians got together recently having been in other bands over the years and called themselves 'Metal Fatigue', which I thought was a good name for an aging metal covers band. The only problem was they were seriously middle of the road rock. 

• Like 1