Why become a member? ×

Why is picking a band name so bloody hard?

Newfoundfreedom

21 hours ago, Twigman said:

"Mundane Mouse"

"Boring Caterpillar"

"Doubtful Wasp"

Still not working

Melancholy Platypus 

Nonchalant Koala

Overactive Sloth

Satisfied Meerkat 

Exhausted Gerbil

I think @Barking Spiders definitely on to something!!!

(I’m calling dibs on Melancholy Platypus!)

Edited by Jimothey

Lackadaisical Strange-tailed Tyrant. 

Or just google some bizarrely named animals, eg (all from one of those top ten sites) 

Lumpsucker

Screaming Hairy Armadillo

Satanic Leaf-tailed Gecko

Hellbender (salamander)

Raspberry Crazy Ant

Wunderpus Photogenicus

I'm sure that last one was an Ian Dury song, but would make a great Riot Grrrrl band name. 

On 28/11/2019 at 07:48, visog said:

I like 'Elbow' but their name is ridiculous...

That's the thing - no one cares once they've seen you play - the Elbow wikipedia page says that they chose the name because it was described as a "lovely word". So to straddle that tricky line between pretentious and wacky, I reckon it's best to pick a random word that you like the sound of, but otherwise has no special meaning.

On 28/11/2019 at 12:11, Rich said:

I agree with TTL3... 'Newfoundfreedom' is ideal.

My favourite local band names are Goldfish Don't Bounce and Gandhi's Flipflop. God only knows how much alcohol/substances was involved in coming up with those.

One local band from a few decades ago was "Emma Gibbs loves badges", which was the headline to an item in the local paper.

One band I was in was looking for a name, and the keyboard player came up with "Naked Touch". The rest of us tried our best to think of an alternative, but we didn't manage to come up with anything.

Another local band that a fellow BCer was the bassist for called themselves "Good Question", which I thought was inspired.

On 28/11/2019 at 14:06, Barking Spiders said:

S' easy . Two words,  second word, name of a small to medium mammal or insect (just small, unless you've seen a medium or large one).  First word, pretty much any adjective of your choice.  Job done.

Ancient Beetles.

Hmm, has a certain ring to it.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

And...

I'm playing this one close to my chest for now. It really is (at least i think) a great band name, with absolutely no online presence. That's as rare as unicorn eggs.

I will tell all once I've finished nailing down the name officially, and registered all the social media sites etc. 😉

28 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm playing this one close to my chest for now. It really is (at least i think) a great band name, with absolutely no online presence. That's as rare as unicorn eggs.

I will tell all once I've finished nailing down the name officially, and registered all the social media sites etc. 😉

Quite right, I've got a couple of ideas rattling around the echoing space normal folks keep their brains but no way I'm putting them out there.

• Like 1