Why become a member? ×

Why is picking a band name so bloody hard?

Newfoundfreedom

21 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

We played all music styles for all types of people. With a Swiss Army knife doing all types of jobs, we decided that instead of calling ourselves Swiss Army, we would plump for Swiss Navy. We wished sometime later we hadnt!!!!!!

Just google it!!!! Haha.

Incase you are too hesitant to search!!!

swiss.jpg

5 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

I had a brilliant band name revelation a couple days ago and just googled it...

dammit...

I was once in a Christian band called Revelation.  We wanted something Biblical but found someone else had beaten us to the name Genesis!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/11/2019 at 22:31, LeftyP said:

Why not look at the type of music you play and choose something from the title or lyrics of your favourite songs.

Superb idea. I've been looking through the lyrics of our eighties set and come up with a few possibles:

Laughing Caroline (although it does sound a bit like a real ale)

Silversplit

Pigeons from Hell

Flailing Fantasy

The Kid's New Gear

Hm... aye, the OP is right. This is harder than it looks.

Edited by lozkerr

18 hours ago, stewblack said:

Take a book of the shelf (randomly) open it. I just did it first thing that caught my eye ... Heyday. great band name. It actually doesn't matter because a crap name in the end becomes associated with the band never the other way around. Look at Oasis. Before they chose that name only dreadful cheesy low rent Crème brûlée types would call themselves Oasis, but pretty soon the name was associated with the coolest band in the country.

Yes, they were, for a while.

image.thumb.png.b23e1c84b989f1bb8d44a9e1d49c21a3.png

I've got a Crème Brulee t-shirt from the "Voodoo Lady" tour. Heady days indeed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeftyP said:

I was once in a Christian band called Revelation.  We wanted something Biblical but found someone else had beaten us to the name Genesis!

Hm. If I were in a predicament like that, I'd simply call my band "From Genesis to Revelation".
Another job well done.

On 27/11/2019 at 21:11, Newfoundfreedom said:

You just think you've got one. Do a quick Google search and it's already been done. 

There's nothing new under the sun. (Yes I checked, under the sun had been taken)

It's so difficult to find something original that reflects the type of music you're doing, and the kind of message you want to present, without being trite or cheesy. 

Suggestions welcome. 

The more members in a band the more difficult it is to please everyone. Factor in the name really needs to be in some way relevant to the style of music and the situation takes on the intricacies of a NATO summit. Our solution?  We all came up with three names each that we liked, If everyone could not agree on one of those names they all went into a hat, and the first one drawn out was it. Sorted. 

• Like 2