Why become a member? ×

Why is picking a band name so bloody hard?

Newfoundfreedom

You just think you've got one. Do a quick Google search and it's already been done. 

There's nothing new under the sun. (Yes I checked, under the sun had been taken)

It's so difficult to find something original that reflects the type of music you're doing, and the kind of message you want to present, without being trite or cheesy. 

Suggestions welcome. 

• Like 2

Recently went through this angst with my new bandmate chums.  We discovered that the more serious and pretentious wer tried to be with the name, the more likely there was already a band with the same name.  The more stupid and irreverent we were the less likely the name was already in use.

Our keyboardist is a martial arts chap, and we were taking the pith, asking him if he'd entered the dragon lately when the idea for the name popped into our guitarists head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every band I have been in over the years has had a rubbish name... In a way I’m thankful nothing ever came of them and I became know as a member of band with a really naff name...

I tend to join other people’s bands / projects these days (kinda works being a bass player), so I don’t have any involvement with band names. This is a good thing as when we were younger (and I did have a say), I was able to contribute to the discussion seriously for approximately 1 minute before suggesting things like “Woolly and the Mammoths” .... 😐

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Band names courtesy of Peep Show...

The Hair Blair Bunch

Coming Up For Blair

Various Artists

SpunkBubble

Mama's Cumquat

Curse These Metal Hands

Man Feelings

Danny Dyer's Chocolate Homonculus

Free The Paedos

.... I'd avoid using that last one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

You just think you've got one. Do a quick Google search and it's already been done. 

There's nothing new under the sun. (Yes I checked, under the sun had been taken)

Depends where the other band with the same name is. We share our name with (at least) two bar bands in the US, and one in Australia. Our paths will never cross, so no problem. 

A couple of years ago a band formed in our hometown with a name almost identical to ours. They knew of us too, but refused to change it. 

• Sad 1

Why not look at the type of music you play and choose something from the title or lyrics of your favourite songs.

If you play Motown stuff how about "Grapevine" (as in "I heard It Through".....).  Fond of the Carpenters catalogue, then how about "White Lace And Promises" - great for a wedding function band!

I always thought that "Wave" would be a great name for a Latin American combo - after the Jobim tune.  The world is your lobster!

• Like 2

We played all music styles for all types of people. With a Swiss Army knife doing all types of jobs, we decided that instead of calling ourselves Swiss Army, we would plump for Swiss Navy. We wished sometime later we hadnt!!!!!!

Just google it!!!! Haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LeftyP said:

Why not look at the type of music you play and choose something from the title or lyrics of your favourite songs.

If you play Motown stuff how about "Grapevine" (as in "I heard It Through".....).  Fond of the Carpenters catalogue, then how about "White Lace And Promises" - great for a wedding function band!

I always thought that "Wave" would be a great name for a Latin American combo - after the Jobim tune.  The world is your lobster!

We're recently an all originals band, having separated from a couple of former member who were only interested in doing covers. So everything I think up that comes from our lyrics just sounds pretentious. Maybe it's just a psychological thing. Even then, almost anything I've tried has been taken. 

11 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It’s probably the least important thing, but the thing that causes the most angst. I feel your pain.

I’ve always been a fan of Post Burrito Depression (courtesy of Tony Levin http://papabear.com/miscpages/bandname.htm ).

I used to have this debate with my ex guitarist all the time. He said the band name wasn't important at all. I personally think it's massively important. Especially in this day and age of social media, trying to get an original Facebook page, Instagram, web page, email, etc. OK, granted, the music is first and foremost. But if you pick a crap name, once you get our and about, you're pretty much stuck with it. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I missed a practice with the first band I was in, and they picked a name while I was away, which I absolutely hated,  but they'd already painted the bass drum skin and everything. I used to cringe every time anyone asked me what our band was called. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I used to have this debate with my ex guitarist all the time. He said the band name wasn't important at all. I personally think it's massively important.

I agree, the name is important and you have to have a graphic that's simple and instantly recognisable from a distance for the posters. 

• Like 1

I'm in the same sitch at the mo, trying to find a name that's kinda mundane and everyday. I used to go for 'adjective + noun' but I'm veering towards phrases at the moment. I try and keep everything around two words and three or four syllables.

A lot of the bands I've been in have had terrible names. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

We played all music styles for all types of people. With a Swiss Army knife doing all types of jobs, we decided that instead of calling ourselves Swiss Army, we would plump for Swiss Navy. We wished sometime later we hadnt!!!!!!

Just google it!!!! Haha.

I just did it 🤔, google it I mean.

Edited by MGB

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

My last cover band's name was so crap that I spent 8 years referring to it as Steve's band.

And no, I'm not telling.

I’ve been there too... When going through the pre-meeting smalltalk ritual at work—in which we all pretend to be interested in each other’s lives—I’ve stopped telling people I play in bands. The follow up question is inevitably “So what are you called”... 😕

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I used to have this debate with my ex guitarist all the time. He said the band name wasn't important at all.

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

you have to have a graphic that's simple and instantly recognisable from a distance for the posters. 

Don't think a name is important - it's just a label you grow into. Agree with the second above too. Good example, 'Yes' which in itself is not particularly important in itself, compared with the pomp of 'Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark' say, but took on meaning as the band developed and Roger Dean designed the logo... Consistent presentation is important - however 'Rush' - good name managed with different logos each time. I like 'Elbow' but their name is ridiculous...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

We're recently an all originals band, having separated from a couple of former member who were only interested in doing covers.

I think you got your band name right there!!  

Some might say it's a tad long and possibly lacking the letter “s" at the end of “member" (unless I am mistaken and you were referring to something else) but I can assure you that no other band in the world is currently calling themselves that!.. 

Plus it gets the point across.  

Thank me later...:i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
because he has sausage fingers
  • Like 1

'cos all the decent ones are taken, and most that are left are a bit 'restrictive' in terms of music style. Right now I like Crazy 88 but it's a bit full-on for our band. (Kill Bill ref you may recall). For years I liked DV8 but that got taken quite some time ago. Basically, needs an 8 in it 👍