Why become a member? ×

ibanez sr 2405w preamp upgrade

ebenezer

Well, i have now got the bass playing well!...after a re-cut nut, fret dress and truss-rod adjustment but i have to say, i am not keen on the tone of the pre.

with the bass having aguilar super doubles, the obvious route would be the OBP 3 but i would be up for other suggestions....keeping in mind, 5 pots and 2

mini switches.

17 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

How about an East Uni-Pre. They do a five knob version, with mini active/passive switch. You could add their battery monitor and put the LED in the other hole. Job done!

This, but instead of the very 80's Hohner battery LED you could fit a Lee Sklar approved DFA switch! 

I owned the SR2405W for a while , it was what turned me onto the SuperDoubles. Agree the Ibanez pre is nasty, just doesn’t work on that bass - only sounds nice passive. 

I’ve since had a Roscoe built with SuperDoubles and opted for OBP3. I play a lot of jazz and thought I might miss the passive option but the OBP3 is warm / nuanced enough that I haven’t yet. Sounds great just with dials centred, and tweak depending on venue. Doesn’t need much help. 

Can’t go wrong with East of course, sure that would sound good too. 

11 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

What's one of those? I know what a Lee Sklar is!

Lee has a switch installed that he calls his "producer switch", or "does f4ck all" switch. If his tone isn't working for the producer he flicks the switch (making sure he's seen doing it) and just changes his playing position on the bass to change up the tone. Apparently it never fails to please... There's a video on YouTube of him describing it - I think it's on the Warwick page where he's talking about his signature star bass.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 23:48, Bigwan said:

Lee has a switch installed that he calls his "producer switch", or "does f4ck all" switch. If his tone isn't working for the producer he flicks the switch (making sure he's seen doing it) and just changes his playing position on the bass to change up the tone. Apparently it never fails to please... There's a video on YouTube of him describing it - I think it's on the Warwick page where he's talking about his signature star bass.

Ha ha! That's awesome!