Why become a member? ×

Bass hardware alternatives

kingforaday

I was just contemplating the old ‘hipshot, Schaller or gotoh’ conundrum on a bass I’m fixing up... and then thought “I wonder if there’s a cheaper (or even a similarly priced but not so well known) alternative I’m overlooking? 

what are the best quality bridges/machineheads that either fall in the ‘great cheap stuff’ or ‘expensive but worth it’ type categories?

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Wilkinson stuff is pretty good value for money.

+1

I don't know if it's up to the standard of the big pricey names, but I use Wilkinson stuff all the time and have never had any problems with it.

Also, when I was on the lookout for tuners, someone on here pointed me in the direction of AxesRUs, who do Hipshot "Licensed" Ultralites, for about £50 a set.

16 hours ago, itu said:

Is Wilkinson owned by Gotoh? At least they have had products with "licenced" texts.

Wilkinson is good value but there is usually a Gotoh alternative the is better at similar prices. Sadly there are fake Wilkinson copies on Evilbay and Ali Express so be careful. Wilkinson make a good copy of the Hipshot Ultralites but they are not imported into the UK by JHS, the ±UK distributor.

I have fitted Wilkinson WJB650CR machine heads on one bass and Gotoh GB707 on another. The GB707 are  better but the Wilkinsons are a real step up from most that are fitted to cheap far east basses.

Wilkinson products have  been made under licence by Gotoh in Japan and Sung Il in Korea http://www.sung-il.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=b031_01

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1