Why become a member? ×

Best cheap amp setup?

Bassmidget209

Hello,

Bit of a weird one here. In my current (and previous band actually) I haven't had an amp. Up until very recently I have been getting on just fine with my sansamp into the PA and either using house amps for monitoring or the PA monitors. However I've had two gigs now where I've had issues. One in a place in Workington were there was a PA but absolutely nothing on stage so I had to rely on my sound bounicng off the back wall, which just about worked and everyone was too drunk to care anyway. Second was more recent at a charity gig in a function hall where the PA turned out to be minimalist to say the least. So I have decided to not get caught short again and just get an amp setup.

The only issue is I have no money. So my question to the great bass wizards is this: what is the cheapest but passable amps out there. I'm aiming for second hand and 200 watts or more I would say. I've managed to score an ashdown 1X15 for 31 quid that's the level I'm dealing with! Im a fan of ashdown in general bit I'm not holding out for much there. I've heard good things from Peavey's but what other brands should I be on the lookout for? Currently also looking at trace Elliots bit none are showing up on eBay in my location this far. All suggestions welcome and yes I'm well aware I'm taking the fosters with the budget restraints but getting the cab has given me some faith In my miserly endeavours!

Thanks guys!

I was going to say a used Behringer BX4500H, but their prices are now a lot higher than they used to be - so people seem to have cottoned on to them. Still, you should be able to get hold of one for between £70 and £100 if you're patient. They sound as good as most bass amps on the market. It's a tribute/clone/ripoff of the Ashdown 300W head - so that might appeal to you.

The BX4500 has a reasonable reputation for reliability but their fan is a bit loud for home use. Otherwise, I'd be happy to gig with one, and indeed have.

A while ago my amp died on me and to get me by I used an old Traynor power amp I had lying around and a Behringer graphic eq pedal to drive it with.  I was surprised at how good it sounded and you could buy something similar for peanuts.

I have an old power amp that you could have FOC but I've just noticed that you're about as far away from me as you can get without crossing a sea.

Edited by bertbass

You can pick up a Trace Elliot, from the days dinosaurs walked the earth, for next to nothing these days.

They're great amps, that were hewn out of a solid block of iron. 

They're a bargain - If you're man enough to be able to actually pick one up.

• Like 1

You've got two components already - the Sansamp and the cab - you could always just look for a power amp?

Failing that, you can always find bargains on Gumtree (more so than ebay I find). Older Fender Rumbles sell for peanuts for example.  If you don't mind heavy stuff, and travelling a bit to collect, you can always score a bargain.  Otherwise, you're probably looking at trying to save up maybe £150-200.  For example £150 could get you this currently for sale in the For Sale section.

Thanks guys, power amps were another thing o wanted to ask about. I don't really know where to start. If you search on eBay for power amps all sorts show up. So stupid question number one, would any power amp (ie a PA amp) work out, apart from looking a bit mad? Are there good brands to keep an eye out for. 

Thanks for all your replies so far this is exactly what I'm looking for, I'm basically playing the long to medium term game on eBay and keeping an eye on different brands so just wanted mark sure I hadn't missed out on some options. I'm really hoping for a trace elliot to show up that's not the other end of the country but it's early days!