Why become a member? ×

How did you meet/join your band?

Twigman

Soul Destroyers
I answered an ad in a Swindon music shop. Three of us turned up for the audition rehearsal; another bassist and I, plus our dear friend and brother OldGit who was after the baritone sax chair. Thankfully, my bass rival was woefully underprepared and had obviously not listened to the songs. I knew I was in with a good chance when I watched him crash his way through Signed Sealed Delivered. I got the gig and so did Simon. That was the tail end of 1993 and I'm still there. How I wish he was too. :(

Train to Skaville
Gil the Destroyers keys man is also the Skaville ivory tinkler; he knew I love ska and that I was itching for a chance to play it. When their old bassist started becoming miserable and unreliable, Gil gave me the heads up that they'd be looking for a new one soon. I made sure I was well-prepared, and that helped me get it.

• Like 1

I think for me its been about 50/50 ads (either oldschool poster on music shop wall or online in more recent years) vs personal recommendation/headhunted by people who knew me. I think the oddest one was a band who took me on with no personal interaction or audition and who had never seen me play or knew anyone else who had. First time I met them was the first gig (and even that had a dep guitarist in).

Edited by KevB

16 minutes ago, KevB said:

I think for me its been about 50/50 ads (either oldschool poster on music shop wall or online in more recent years) vs personal recommendation/headhunted by people who knew me. I think the oddest one was a band who took me on with no personal interaction or audition and who had never seen me play or knew anyone else who had. First time I met them was the first gig (and even that had a dep guitarist in).

Let me guess ...was this band named after the singer guitarist? 😉

A drummer friend of mine and myself were getting together to jam, and we realised we both liked the RHCP. So we started learning some of their songs and that led to "let's start a RHCP tribute!".

We needed a guitarist and a singer.

We got a so-so singer, and a guitarist, to show up once. The guitarist cancelled his next session due to illness, he said, and after that he said that his band was taking more his attention now and was not sure he'd have time for the new band too. We still needed a singer too, and he suggested the drummer in his main band, who could sing a bit.

We found a great guitarist soon enough, and we tried that drummer singer. Not good enough. Tried others, and eventually we found the one and we went on to play a lot of gigs over the next few years.

However, that's THAT band. My main band is that initial's guitarist main band, actually.

A few months after starting the RHCP I wanted to get busier and was looking at local ads and I saw the name of his band. There were a few audio clips. I liked what I heard. They were looking for a bass player. I wrote to them.

Three weeks passed. Nothing.

Then I see the ad again.

I thought... drummer probably hates me because we didn't take him on as a singer, and guitarist probably didn't like me that much either. But I decided to write again just in case.

It turned out they were just disorganised and they had all read the email but they all thought somebody else was taking care of it. Which, knowing them, makes perfect sense :D

Anyway, I got an audition and left having been offered the slot, as they had tried a string of very unsuitable bass players and at least I seemed normal on first contact.

That was 9 years and 3 months ago, when I joined Sea Bass Kid.

edit: oh, and the RHCP band? drummer quit. So we auditioned for new drummers. The two we selected for a first try came in... both were great. We picked one, Neil. While the other, Tristan, ended up SBK's drummer when ours moved away a year later. Then he moved to Canada... and Neil came on board. It's the RHCP's fault.

Edited by mcnach

49 minutes ago, mcnach said:

A drummer friend of mine and myself were getting together to jam, and we realised we both liked the RHCP. So we started learning some of their songs and that led to "let's start a RHCP tribute!".

We needed a guitarist and a singer.

We got a so-so singer, and a guitarist, to show up once.

Singer sounds spot on for a RHCP tribute band - why did you keep looking? 🤣

Similarly guitarists who come and go...

• Haha 1

Current band: 

Was trying to do a new band with some guys who were not so reliable and it fell apart so I decided to join an established band. I connected with some guys in a covers band who'd lost their bassist and fired their rhythm guitarist. They had a new rhythm guitarist who'd done one gig with them. I went to audition. There was a lad before me who was by all accounts a good player but had a cold, wet handshake and needed a lift off his dad, he also expected better money and more gigs. I'd researched the band on their soundcloud and Facebook and turned up well prepared. I'd already got the job on the strength of having a proper handshake but I knew loads more of their set than they had originally asked for mainly due to experience in previous bands and we just jammed through loads of their list. Luckily the songs I thought were bobbins so hadn't learned they didn't like anyway because they were the unpopular choices of the departed members. 

I've been in the band three and a half years now. It's my second longest "permanent job". The lads are all good mates and while we had a slow year last year I can't see it folding, though I am itching to do a side project for something different and get more gigs in. 

My new blues/rock trio - simply answered an ad in 'Join My Band' in December last year.  Went to an audition in early January to play 3 songs, ended up playing the whole set and jamming for 2 hrs :) 

Bon Jovi tribute band - something like 5 years ago I had an idle conversation with @hiram.k.hackenbacker when he mentioned that a drummer he had played with for many years, and who I had known for possibly even longer but not musically, was looking to start a rock band but Warren (=Hiram) didn't think he had time.  I saw the drummer (Alan) a few weeks later and mentioned this, we decided to give it a go.  I brought in a guitarist I had played with in a heavy rock covers band, Alan brought in both a singer and keys player that he knew.  After a few gigs it was decided that a tribute band was the way forward, we did the Bon Jovi stuff in the set well so headed off on that path and morphed into a Bon Jovi Tribute.  Which is, I must say, an absolute blast.  :) 

Bands before that are ancient history :) 

• Like 1

Met the original bass player on the day he was born in 1973. He's my little brother.

Met the guitarist in 1974, when we were both four years old on our first day at school. 

Met the singer ten years later at school.

The original drummer was a housemate of the guitarist and singer. One day his computer went in to be fixed and some photos were found. He got a place on the sex offenders register. Our singer is now a teacher, so funnily enough...

I became the bass player when my brother left as I was the least competent guitarist. 

I met the new drummer last Sunday. He's our guitarist's hairdresser. 

Sorted.

• Haha 1

One band I dep for I first approached in response to a Join My Band advert. They promised an audition but ended up giving the job to their dep. Made sense for them. Problem was he wasn't available New Years Eve, nor was anyone else. 

Sheepishly they emailed me, hey you know you never heard back from us, never got the audition we promised... don't suppose you can bail us out on New year's eve? Oh the money is sh/TE by the way.. 

The singer is now my best mate, we're in a different band together and I'm her go to guy for any dep work, and the job is mine if the regular guy ever leaves. 

Moral? Pride doesn't get you the gig. Being helpful and selfless goes a very very long way. 

• Like 1

An occasional band (gigs every couple of months, never rehearses) I'm in grew out of people I met at an open mic night. We jam stuff out on Sunday afternoons in any pub that will have us, encouraging the locals to bring an instrument and join in if they so wish. 

Great skin of the teeth stuff, often play songs I've never heard of. 

Soul band I'm in comprises me and three members of a previous band. I walked after BL's idiosyncratic behaviour became unbearable and keys, voice and drums followed me. There was a wedding in the diary, which the keys guy had organised so we decided to do it with the 'new' band. 

Went down a storm so we had a chat and decided to keep it going. No guitarist is just wonderful, really refreshing change. 

Old friend from way back formed a band three years ago with a bunch of guys, some I'd played with some I hadn't. I was asked but I'd had issues in the past with some of the line up so I declined. 

This time last year he was stuck. They'd sacked the bassist and could I dep for them. Line up substantially different now, I stood in for one gig, they stopped looking for a bassist! 

Doesn't earn, 7 piece playing original material , but it's a damn good band, I love the BL and his songs are absolutely top class. 

The atmosphere in the group is excellent and gigs are a hoot. 

My main gig I got when I answered a Join My Band advert. No response, I didn't do Facebook but my singer did so she tracked down the BL and said hey  this guy is awesome and wants to join but you haven't got back to him.

They already had a bassist but I helped BL out with an open mic  No money 1 1/2 hour drive but I did it. Her bassist couldn't do a bunch of dates, she let the guy go and hired me. 

Moral? Put yourself out for people, help them and accept help from others. 

On 27/11/2019 at 11:53, Rich said:

Soul Destroyers
I answered an ad in a Swindon music shop. Three of us turned up for the audition rehearsal; another bassist and I, plus our dear friend and brother OldGit who was after the baritone sax chair. Thankfully, my bass rival was woefully underprepared and had obviously not listened to the songs. I knew I was in with a good chance when I watched him crash his way through Signed Sealed Delivered. I got the gig and so did Simon. That was the tail end of 1993 and I'm still there. How I wish he was too. :(

Train to Skaville
Gil the Destroyers keys man is also the Skaville ivory tinkler; he knew I love ska and that I was itching for a chance to play it. When their old bassist started becoming miserable and unreliable, Gil gave me the heads up that they'd be looking for a new one soon. I made sure I was well-prepared, and that helped me get it.

You are in two bands I would love to play with. Only met Simon once, but what a lovely guy 😞

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

You are in two bands I would love to play with. Only met Simon once, but what a lovely guy 😞

Yes, I'm a very very very very lucky man. I'm with two sets of great musicians playing splendid songs and not a single ego in sight.
And yes, Si was a prince. I still miss the silly sod terribly.

• Like 1

I hope this isn’t too off topic with the OP but it’s kinda related but how did you know you were ready to join a band?? I really want to join a band but fear my playing ability wouldn’t be up to scratch and if I audition I’ll just get laughed at and told to jog on!! I don’t know if it’s a confidence thing or I’m just not good enough??..........

I'm thinking of getting my first band back together. I will need a ouija board and a parole application...

Last band I didn't form myself I found through an advert in the back of Guitarist magazine. "Wanted bass player. No nutters. No stalkers. No political activists." I lied and got in. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I hope this isn’t too off topic with the OP but it’s kinda related but how did you know you were ready to join a band?? I really want to join a band but fear my playing ability wouldn’t be up to scratch and if I audition I’ll just get laughed at and told to jog on!! I don’t know if it’s a confidence thing or I’m just not good enough??..........

I'm not sure I can be of much direct help here as I've never auditioned for a band in my life, it's always been an organic thing, starting with school mates and then through being asked by musicians I've played with before

However,  @flaxholmelis is spot on - use every opportunity you have to get out and play with other musicians without it being an audition, and jam nights fit the bill, even if it's not the music you really want to play

The other thing I'd suggest is to see whether any of your guitar/keyboard/etc playing friends (assuming you have some) are free to get together to run through a few songs.  It does somewhat depend on how good a guitarist/keyboard/etc player they are, but when I was starting out a guitarist mate of mine suggested it and it improved my playing no end, just getting used to playing with another musician

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

My first band was founded by me, thus it didn't matter if I couldn't play, which I couldn't to be frank.

When I joined the band I'm in now (as per the opening post) I felt I was nowhere near good enough to join a signed band.....the audition probably confirmed that but it was who I was that mattered to the others, the fact that we clicked and got on instantly. The playing could be improved later, much much later in my case.

Edited by Twigman
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, flaxholmelis said:

If anyone ever laughs at you, they deserve to be strung up by the proverbials!

Do you have any local jam nights that you can go along to and even just sit, watch and applaud for a while...    get to know people...     have a go.... 

When I was back down in Essex there was open mic nights every night of the week somewhere but now I live in rural north wales they seem to be few and far between 

22 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I'm not sure I can be of much direct help here as I've never auditioned for a band in my life, it's always been an organic thing, starting with school mates and then through being asked by musicians I've played with before

However,  @flaxholmelis is spot on - use every opportunity you have to get out and play with other musicians without it being an audition, and jam nights fit the bill, even if it's not the music you really want to play

The other thing I'd suggest is to see whether any of your guitar/keyboard/etc playing friends (assuming you have some) are free to get together to run through a few songs.  It does somewhat depend on how good a guitarist/keyboard/etc player they are, but when I was starting out a guitarist mate of mine suggested it and it improved my playing no end, just getting used to playing with another musician

Two of my mates both play in bands but with kids, work, gigs etc it’s hard trying to get time have a jam and the other thing is not that I think my one of my mates would ever say your not good enough or anything but he is an awesome guitarist and I feel a bit intimidated to jam with him!