Left leaderboard
Richard R

Idiot-proof synth pads

Does anyone know of a really,  really, idiot proof program for windows which would let me play a series of synth pad chords by pushing one button per chord, holding it then pressing the next one as required? Ideally with a performance UI comprising just four buttons with the chords on 😁

We played a song last Sunday which was crying out for synth pads to define the chords. In the absence of that I just played repeated root notes on the bass, which actually worked quite well but isn't the same. 

ableton live intro (free)

create the chords in session view as clips

use ANY controller to launch the clips. ou could even rig up an x-box controller with a small amount of effort.

Edited by GisserD

Wow, a whole new land of confusion! Looks like more than I expect to ever use but if it can be made idiot proof on stage that's key.

It seems it isn't free, but users of any Focusrite gear can apparently get a zero cost license so I will investigate that.

Thanks @GisserD

Hi GisserD,

Sorry for not replying sooner. Sent you 

If you do have a spare license that would be very much appreciated. My Scarlett is too old to qualify under Focusrite's terms. 

Rich

im sorry but you are to late, i already gave it to somone else.

I have an old scarlett 8i6 and i recently (june) emailed focustite that i lost my intro lisence and they just sent me a new one.

ill pm you what i sent them.

No to worry, thanks for the PM. I will try that and see what happens.

I have a fist full of carols to learn in the next couple of weeks, so that will keep me occupied. Synth pads will have to wait until I have time after Christmas. 

how do you intend to trigger the synths? By hand (tricky when playin gbass as well) or by foot? I use a digitec stereo jam looper to scroll between multiple loop patches (including synths and organs) whilst playing (think shine on you crazy diamond for instance)

Edited by skidder652003

Foot pedal was the plan. Ideally set up the sounds in order, to sustain until the next one is triggered, then tap foot at appropriate chord change.

I already have a home-built foot pedal for turning music pages, so there is a high possibility for error in either direction 😁

Edited by Richard R

5 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

how do you intend to trigger the synths? By hand (tricky when playin gbass as well) or by foot? I use a digitec stereo jam looper to scroll between multiple loop patches (including synths and organs) whilst playing (think shine on you crazy diamond for instance)

Yep I do exactly this too. You can use tap tempo to quantise the loops too.  We are experimenting with complete backing tracks too using this method,  but struggling to get a good enough click to the drummer and for him to play to it! 

Only problem with this solution is that it would be quite tricky to play a synth chord, then swap to another and swap back again in the same way that perhaps a midi keyboard would work. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 13:16, Muppet said:

Yep I do exactly this too. You can use tap tempo to quantise the loops too.  We are experimenting with complete backing tracks too using this method,  but struggling to get a good enough click to the drummer and for him to play to it! 

Only problem with this solution is that it would be quite tricky to play a synth chord, then swap to another and swap back again in the same way that perhaps a midi keyboard would work. 

The Yamaha Clickstation (although discontinued) can be MIDI clock slaved and mounted on a hi-hat stand. It puts out a great click sound and allows your drummer to integrate with MIDI.

My drummer had 3 of them (2 backups) when I was playing a lot of Live DnB

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 13:16, Muppet said:

yeah I have to swap between Gm and C for the floyd stuff, its a real PIA to scroll up and down then activate whilst playing but I've got used to it. Other patches include a E drone for the Xanadu/Rush opening and air raid sirens for War Pigs, those are easy just press and go, sound awesome though!

There seems to be quite a group of bass players doing other things with their feet at the same time. Reassures me it isn't such a daft idea.

I can't help with your quest but I can tell you what not to do, that would be use your phone for any type of sound reproduction. In a previous band we used to start the second set with Blockbuster, we had one red and one blue police light on top of the PA speakers and I had a five minute loop of the intro siren on my phone which was plugged into my Line6 X3. We'd turn the band lights off and just have the two police lights going while my phone blared the siren through the PA, it really was a great start to a set. We'd all kick in with the riff and I'd fade the sire out with the rocker pedal on the X3, it would keep looping and I'd fade it back in in the middle and end. The problem was when someone phoned me in the middle of Blockbuster once and as I faded it in for the middle build up, instead of a wailing police siren we had an old fashion phone ring, it completely threw us off. 😂

• Haha 2

I have been caught out like that. I did service at church a while back during which we prepared and cooked two sponge cakes on the platform as part of the service. Used my phone as the countdown timer, plugged into the PA so everyone would hear the cakes were ready and I would stop preaching.  Of course just before the end I had a phone call. From my mother who thought it was Saturday morning!

Flight mode is your friend!

Edited by Richard R
Typo, whas else?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Earbrass
      For sale my mint condition Nord Lead A1 synth, complete with Nord soft case, manual and power lead.
      EDIT - PRICE £695
      Collection only from SE London, or possible meet-up if not too far.
      https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-lead-a1 
      https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-lead-a1/accessories
      https://www.thomann.de/gb/clavia_nord_lead_a1.htm 
      https://www.thomann.de/gb/clavia_nord_soft_case_nord_lead_a1.htm

• By Marky Screen
      Just the FI left now, £245
      up for partial trades as well, small format analogue envelope filters, bass overdrives with a clean blend, Source Audio C4, TAFM, 2x10 cabs or just try me
      Lived without using this for 6+ months so its up for grabs.
      Ungraded to the latest v3 firmware and sound bank.
      Includes UK postage.

• By Graemeross
      Selling my complete bass pedal collection. These pedals are all in perfect working order and cosmetically excellent - see photos. All have boxes unless otherwise stated. 
      Most of these were on my pedalboard at some time, I have left the velcro on the bottom. 
      Will post at buyers cost or collect from Woking. Will combine postage. 

Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus (no box) - £50 
      Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive - £50
      Boss DS-1 Distortion - £30
      Boss LMB-3 Limiter Enhancer - £45
      Digitech Bass Synth Wah - £80
      Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer - £90
      MXR Bass Envelope Filter (no box) - £90
      MXR Bass Compressor (no box) - £110
      Line6 MM4 - £110

Boss PH-1r (Japan 1980s) - £120 SOLD
      Boss GE-7 Equaliser (Japan 1980s) - £60 SOLD
      Boss LS-2 Line Selector - £55 SOLD
      MXR Phase 90 - £50. SOLD
      Boss LS-2 Line Selector (no box) - £45 SOLD
      Boss BB-1x Bass Driver - £115 SOLD
      Boss GEB-7 Bass Equaliser - £55 SOLD
      EXH Deluxe Bass Big Muff pi - £80 SOLD
      Line6 DL4 - £120 SOLD
      EHX Holy Grail Plus - £90 SOLD
      MXR Bass Octave Deluxe - £85 SOLD
      MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe - £90 SOLD

Open to offers and will consider trades.

• By Quatschmacher
      Copied from @Andras Szalay‘s TB announcement:

Dear friends,

No more “it is almost there!”, rather “it is here, really!!!”.

We have put an enormous work behind us. It was mentioned here on the forum that “Andras is a one man engineering team”. While this was the case in the beginning, the Future Impact v3 as released today is a product well beyond what any single individual could have accomplished. Over the last few months an extremely talented international team helped me, and the FI v3 is the result of our joint effort.

Let us all recognize and applaud the members of the team:

- Peter Kenney (UK): Product design, writing the User Guide , editor testing, sound design.
      - Gabor Lippenyi (Hungary): Product design, sound design, studio recordings, creating the video demo.
      - Zsolt Rammer (Hungary): PC and MAC Editor coding, graphics, sound design.
      - Gabor Gerenyi (Hungary): Product design, sound design, marketing.
      - Simon Iten (Switzerland): Product design from the very beginning, sound design.
      - Gergely Barcza (Israel): Design concept for EWI mode, EWI mode sound design, and demo recording.
      - Geza Barcsik (Hungary): main graphics designer.

You can find all product details at http://pandamidi.com. Let me cite here just a few of the most important features:

- modular type synthesis with flexi controllers
      - true multi effects processing
      - bass, guitar and wind instrument modes
      - ADSR envelopes
      - VCO3 and 4 acts as an extra LFO
      - redesigned look
      - new lower price
      - lifetime warranty
      - and as a last days result, integrated sound program database in the editor!

It is important to note, that the electronics of the FI v3 is identical with the FI I., so your current devices can be software-upgraded to be functionally identical with FI v3. Watch the video demo showing all the 99 amazing new sounds, cca. 10 seconds from each. Also you will find on our web page the FI 3.00 software upgrade with the bank of the new sounds and all documentation, naturally ALL FREE OF CHARGE!

I signed the bottom plate of the first 20 FI v3. Hurry if you want to get one of them!

Finally, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for your help, comments, critiques and suggestions during the development. These all contributed to giving you a better product. Enjoy!

Andras Szalay
    • By Svidasmile
      350GBP
      Collection preferred
      Trades accepted

Roland GR-55 with :
      - GK-3B divided bass pick up (147GBP new)
      - Roland GKC-5 Midi cable (47GBP new)
      - Usb cable connector
      - All the original cables and converters, manuals
      - No original Box

The synth works for guitar or bass, the pick up is only for bas

Everything is as new, perfectly functional and without a single scratch, used the machine only to practice and for studio sessions. 

Specs:

The Roland GR-55 is a revolution in guitar synthesis, with features never before available in any guitar processor. In terms of speed, it’s the fastest ever. It’s also the most accurate, thanks to newly developed pitch-detection technology.

As for sound, the triple-core generator houses a world-class array of virtual guitars, basses, amps, and synth voices, enabling tones and textures that have never been heard before.

Onstage or in the studio, you can instantly access the GR-55’s huge library of ready-to-use sounds, from pop to rock and beyond, with quick-access category buttons. Welcome to a groundbreaking new era in guitar synthesis!

New Sound Possibilities

The GR-55’s powerful triple-core engine comprises two PCM synthesizers (with over 900 tones powered by the latest Roland synthesis technology) and COSM® guitar modeling, featuring a virtual treasure trove of guitar, bass, amp, and synth models. Together, these combined technologies allow you to create unique, revolutionary sounds. The “Metal Synth Lead” preset, for example, combines two types of thick, brilliant synth textures with an overdriven solid-body/humbucking tone for incredible punch and power.

Lightning-Fast Tracking

Thanks to Roland’s decades of research and dedication to guitar synthesizers and powerful new pitch detection technology, the GR-55 is far and away the fastest guitar synth ever. Furthermore, the COSM guitar-modeling engine needs zero detection time, allowing the GR-55 to respond instantly and exactly as you play. The GR-55 detects pitch, velocity, and behavior for unprecedented response to your performance.

Instant Gratification

Get ready to rock…and fast! The GR-55 puts you instantly in touch with a huge library of amazing sounds, no editing required. The onboard lineup of ready-to-use presets (270, plus 297 user) takes the pain out of the process, with simple category buttons for finding the perfect sound fast. Choose from hundreds of great presets for pop, rock, and beyond, and kick-start your song or jam with unique, powerful sounds that will turn heads and raise fists.

Easy to Use

If you’re new to the world of technology, fear not. The GR-55 is powerful yet extremely friendly. For customizing sounds, the EZ Edit feature (made famous in the GT-10) and large LCD takes the guesswork out of the process. And for those who want to go deep, the GR-55 offers huge array of controllable parameters. Pros will appreciate the power of the GR-55 while beginners will love how quick and easy the unit is to operate.

USB Connectivity

The GR-55 conveniently bridges the guitarist to the desktop music production world with its two USB ports. The rear-panel port can be used one for MIDI/Audio data communication; the side-panel port is dedicated to real-time playback of audio files from a USB memory device (sold separately). The GR-55 provides foot control of USB audio playback so your hands never need to leave the guitar