Why become a member? ×

Idiot-proof synth pads

Richard R

Does anyone know of a really,  really, idiot proof program for windows which would let me play a series of synth pad chords by pushing one button per chord, holding it then pressing the next one as required? Ideally with a performance UI comprising just four buttons with the chords on 😁

We played a song last Sunday which was crying out for synth pads to define the chords. In the absence of that I just played repeated root notes on the bass, which actually worked quite well but isn't the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

how do you intend to trigger the synths? By hand (tricky when playin gbass as well) or by foot? I use a digitec stereo jam looper to scroll between multiple loop patches (including synths and organs) whilst playing (think shine on you crazy diamond for instance)

Edited by skidder652003

Foot pedal was the plan. Ideally set up the sounds in order, to sustain until the next one is triggered, then tap foot at appropriate chord change.

I already have a home-built foot pedal for turning music pages, so there is a high possibility for error in either direction 😁

Edited by Richard R

5 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

how do you intend to trigger the synths? By hand (tricky when playin gbass as well) or by foot? I use a digitec stereo jam looper to scroll between multiple loop patches (including synths and organs) whilst playing (think shine on you crazy diamond for instance)

Yep I do exactly this too. You can use tap tempo to quantise the loops too.  We are experimenting with complete backing tracks too using this method,  but struggling to get a good enough click to the drummer and for him to play to it! 

Only problem with this solution is that it would be quite tricky to play a synth chord, then swap to another and swap back again in the same way that perhaps a midi keyboard would work. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 13:16, Muppet said:

Yep I do exactly this too. You can use tap tempo to quantise the loops too.  We are experimenting with complete backing tracks too using this method,  but struggling to get a good enough click to the drummer and for him to play to it! 

Only problem with this solution is that it would be quite tricky to play a synth chord, then swap to another and swap back again in the same way that perhaps a midi keyboard would work. 

The Yamaha Clickstation (although discontinued) can be MIDI clock slaved and mounted on a hi-hat stand. It puts out a great click sound and allows your drummer to integrate with MIDI.

My drummer had 3 of them (2 backups) when I was playing a lot of Live DnB

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 13:16, Muppet said:

yeah I have to swap between Gm and C for the floyd stuff, its a real PIA to scroll up and down then activate whilst playing but I've got used to it. Other patches include a E drone for the Xanadu/Rush opening and air raid sirens for War Pigs, those are easy just press and go, sound awesome though!

I can't help with your quest but I can tell you what not to do, that would be use your phone for any type of sound reproduction. In a previous band we used to start the second set with Blockbuster, we had one red and one blue police light on top of the PA speakers and I had a five minute loop of the intro siren on my phone which was plugged into my Line6 X3. We'd turn the band lights off and just have the two police lights going while my phone blared the siren through the PA, it really was a great start to a set. We'd all kick in with the riff and I'd fade the sire out with the rocker pedal on the X3, it would keep looping and I'd fade it back in in the middle and end. The problem was when someone phoned me in the middle of Blockbuster once and as I faded it in for the middle build up, instead of a wailing police siren we had an old fashion phone ring, it completely threw us off. 😂

• Haha 2

I have been caught out like that. I did service at church a while back during which we prepared and cooked two sponge cakes on the platform as part of the service. Used my phone as the countdown timer, plugged into the PA so everyone would hear the cakes were ready and I would stop preaching.  Of course just before the end I had a phone call. From my mother who thought it was Saturday morning!

Flight mode is your friend!

Edited by Richard R
Typo, whas else?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1