Why become a member? ×

Timeless one hot wonders

Barking Spiders

King - "Love & Pride", which, IMO, is a near forgotten 80s classic

Pigbag - "Papas got..." acknowledge that they did have a minor hit with something else which I can't remember.

Just Brothers - Sliced Tomatoes, which admittedly wasn't a hit when released but became associated with Mr Tarantino.

Quantum Jump - The Lone Ranger, which really only got known (originally banned by the BBC) because of the sample used by Kenny Everett on his radio show.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

This is probably my favourite one hit wonder...

Good set of pipes that lad on the old joanna... wonder whatever happened to him... ;)

My other two faves are...

...of course, better known as “the music from the Holiday programme on telly. Gordon introduces it at shows by saying “And now I’m going to play a medley of my greatest hit.”

And finally a little slice of NWOBHM... love this tune... it wasn’t exactly a hit but it was in the UK singles chart for 2 whole weeks. Fab bit of typically daft Rodney Matthews on the cover too...

• Like 1

On 26/11/2019 at 14:45, EliasMooseblaster said:

Sleeping Satellite by Tamsin Archer.

Doesn't seem to get a great deal of radio play these days. I'd more or less forgotten about it until a few years ago, when the band shared a bill with a singer who included it in her set. The lyrics make no sense, and the production pigeonholes it very much to the '90s, but I can't deny it's a good tune.

The lyrics make a lot of sense when you consider what it's about. The sleeping satellite is the Moon. I shall leave it to the reader to research the relationship (for example) of the eagle.

Owen Paul didn't quite hit number one with "My Favourite Waste of Time" (got to number 3) but didn't do much subsequently.

Buggles and "Video killed the radio star". Eludes the Guinness records as there was a subsequent number 16 and a couple in the low 30s.

I was going to suggest Sonique and "It feels so good" but a quick bit of research showed that the single after that hit number 2.

On 26/11/2019 at 13:02, Twigman said:

I was going to nominate Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson and Clover but then I realised they did the original of I think We're Alone Now - but was it a hit for them or was the cover version (Tiffany?) the only hit version?

Lene Loveitch did a version in 1978 - got to No 3 in the charts. Way before Tiffany

8 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Lene Loveitch did a version in 1978 - got to No 3 in the charts. Way before Tiffany

She did but wasn't it the Bside or aa side of Lucky Number ? [Edit: no it wasn't] LOL - I link a youtube of it in a subsequent post.

Tommy James and the Shondells never released it as a single in UK though, making Mony Mony their one hit and bizarrely had someone else get to #1 with another of their songs....the initial point of this thread, no?

Edited by Twigman