Why become a member? ×

Timeless one hot wonders

Barking Spiders

I always like The Screaming Blue Messiahs apart from the not very good novelty record that was their only chart hit, "I Wanna Be a Flintstone". They had far better tunes like this one, "Sweet Water Pools". Bill Carter was a brilliant guitarist, loved the noises he got out of his axe. I know I've gone off piste slightly but never mind.

Edited by upside downer

2 hours ago, odysseus said:

I can't decide whether I ever liked this or not, but the damn thing wouldn't leave my head when I was a wee laddie...

Landscape's bass player was the excellent Andy Pask - obviously not on this track, though.

I used to go and see the band when they were unknowns working round the pub circuit in North London around 78 - 79.  Andy was a very talented player and a bit ahead of the game.

I understand he went on to write the theme tune for 'The Bill' - so that must have been a useful bit of pocket money for a few years  😊

• Like 1

Should Blondie have an honourable mention in this thread? Not one-hit wonders themselves, of course, but they made hits out of at least a few singles that had otherwise sunk without trace - Hanging on the Telephone (originally by The Nerves), The Tide is High (originally The Paragons), and Denis (Randy & the Rainbows, originally titled Denise).

16 hours ago, steantval said:

Layla - Derek and the Dominoes 

I used to think the main riff for Layla was easily the "best" (catchiest anyway) thing Clapton had done, until I discovered out, not even that long ago, that it was  Duane Allman who wrote it. 

21 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Sleeping Satellite by Tamsin Archer.

Doesn't seem to get a great deal of radio play these days. I'd more or less forgotten about it until a few years ago, when the band shared a bill with a singer who included it in her set. The lyrics make no sense, and the production pigeonholes it very much to the '90s, but I can't deny it's a good tune.

Isn’t it Tasmin Archer? I used to really like that tune. 

I seem to remember some comment once about Carl Douglas and Kung Fu fighting, him being a one hit wonder. IIRC his response was something along the lines of “at least I had one, which is more than many can say”. 

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 13:26, Rageofklugman said:

How about Stiltskin - Inside. I had the album on cassette and it wasn't bad, but seeing as none of the other songs featured on a jeans advert they were never heard from again.

It was ok until the vocal started.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, steantval said:

I stand corrected, you are right Sir.

No, I wasn't. 😁 I just expressed surprise -  out of my Dutch background. Same with Golden Earring: one hit abroad, and dozens in Holland, like for example "Se flies on strange wings" from '71.

Just now, AngelDeVille said:

on this side of the pond they are

Ah fair enough, I'm using the mobile version of the site so I can't see locations. You're in the States then I assume? 

As an aside, the bass player, Tony Butler, lives about 15 minutes from me and gives lessons, he had a pretty unique style and sound from memory. 

🙂