Why become a member? ×

Pseudo-Ampeg (IKEA) Bass Cab Build

skej21

So, after spending hours carefully crafting my music room, the IKEA kallax storage unit (to some may look tidy!) was in my eyes, a problem that required a solution. With this in mind, I decided to find something that would make a good storage unit but also be more visually fitting in the space.

Edited by skej21

I decided to take challenge myself and make this as cheaply as possible, so used some old pallet wood from a new bath we had delivered, half a tin of hammerite black satin i'd had lying around to use up and some chipboard from another project. I paid £6 for some grille cloth off ebay, £8 for a replacement Ampeg logo from Amazon, £1.20 on a set of hinges and £10 on facebook marketplace for some locking castors (optional in my opinion but i was looking to complete 'the look'). In total, spend was £25.20 to create the front panel pictured, matching the size of the front of the Kallax storage unit.

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-26 at 10.49.54 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-26 at 10.49.54 (2).jpeg

Edited by skej21

...and then the end result. I'm pretty happy with it. Definitely could have more finesse (but i'm no DIYer!) but looks far better in the room disguised as a bass cab, hides away all the bass stuff i have lying around and didn't cost too much!

Hopefully a useful little idea to spark some inspiration for anyone looking for a neat storage idea that looks the part too!

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-26 at 10.49.54 (3).jpeg

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, skej21 said:

Thanks (i think?! based on your usual post style! 😂)

I just dragged my missus to the screen to show her your efforts and she was mightily impressed.

'Go back up,' she said. 'Show me the room again'.

I complied with her exhortation.

'That's lovely,' she said. 'You could do something like that'.

Seems like I owe you a beer (or even an entire crate) Matt :)

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...