Why become a member? ×

Bass + idiot + sticker =

AndyBass

So for whatever reason I decided to put this big Posada sticker on one of my basses. I kept checking under bits of it that fading was even etc  but then sure enough I removed the whole thing today and there's a clear, brighter shape where the sticker was.

I've seen luthiers work some magic over scratches with varnishes etc - anyone know if anything can be done about problems like this?  It's a ply Strunal, if that makes a difference.

And "go back in time and don't be an idiot" isn't helpful advice 😀 Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Andy, if it’s adhesive residue we are talking about, try rubbing some almond oil gently into it.  There are some citrus based adhesive removers available too, and I have used them very successfully to remove stickers from a a Gibson guitar I had just for sale. That was a les paul junior with a fairly thin finish if I remember well, but I suspect any double bass, ply included, would have a much thinner varnish, so I would proceed with caution and try the natural oils.

if it’s not a problem of adhesive residue but rather of varnish having been ripped away, I don’t know. There is a double bass luthier forum on Facebook which is a worldwide group with some great people on it you could try. To my limited knowledge people are quite respectful on it. I hope you get it sorted. 

How long was the sticker on for? Couple of years?

Easiest solution, cover up the rest of the bass with opaque tape, making sure you leave the offending patch exposed.

Open your curtains.

Leave bass in full sunlight for 2 years.

Bosh.

Sorry, couldnt resist being a Richard....

Is it 1 - the wood that has faded, 2 - the lacquer that has yellowed over time or 3 - the finish that's got scratched and worn where the sticker wasn't? 

If 1, then short of PaulKings suggestion (not that mad if a strong UV lamp was used) there's not a lot you can do. If 2 or 3, then a good polish with a suitable compound may bring the finish back to the level that was under the sticker. 

Hi folks, thanks for the ideas so far. Unfortunately it sounds like there’s no one commonly known easy fix. Damn. Anyway I couldn’t say if it’s the lacquer or what, definitely not residue. Think it’s likely UV exposure fading/darkening the wood or the finish from what I read, though I never gig this bass and it mostly sits in the dark. Might actually try taping it off and using a UV lamp on it. As if it wasn’t going to be hard enough to sell a lefty bass, now I gotta sort this first!