Why become a member? ×

What makes this site work?

lemonstar

I recently finished reading "Watching the English", which is a serious anthropological study of English culture disguised as an entertaining pop culture book. Looking at many aspects of life the author tries to identify essential English traits, and there are longish discourses on pubs, special interest groups, and male friendships. There is no claim that good traits or bad traits are exclusively English, but she does try to work.out what the combination and proportions are.

BassChat works because it's like a proper but very friendly local pub full of blokes with the same interest. Very quickly if you understand the culture you are welcome, and if you don't then you aren't shunned, you're still welcome unless you're offensive.That culture includes being helpful, gentle teasing as part of bonding (stop sniggering), occasional willingness to share important stuff, accepting that it's not winning an argument here that counts it's getting the wittiest answer in, and a few other unwritten rules that I suggest you read the book to find out. It is almost a textbook example of the better traits of national character.The mods are the equivalent of the bar staff. 

I think the Bass Bashes help a lot as well. I have only been to one so far, but having met some of these folks they are now real people, not just strange avatars.

The only other forum I have found vaguely comparable is the Sound On Sound forum, which is also fantastic. However it is more focussed on the topic in hand and less likely to get sidetracked.  By soup, for example.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

I think the Bass Bashes help a lot as well. I have only been to one so far, but having met some of these folks they are now real people, not just strange avatars.

Some of these folks are also strange people.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Or is it the guys in the cellar ?

There are no guys in the cellar.

There are no strange noises coming from the cellar.

The power does not dip alarmingly shortly after Ray has gone into the cellar.

If we all stick to the same set of "facts" we'll be fine.

So, I say again;

There are no guys in the cellar..

There are no strange noises.......

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Cough cough. Aherm. 😉

I did say "it's like a proper but very friendly local pub full of blokes with the same interest", the like in that sentence is important. Clearly it's not a golf club where women aren't allowed, I've never seen even a hint of misogyny  or prejudice,  and the women usually outwit the men anyway.   But you must admit that much of the banter is very blokey and conforms much more to male conversation patterns than female.
I cite most of this thread as exhibit A.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, fleabag said:

....  Expect a weird knock on your door at some ungodly hour.  We cant say when, natch

Yeah... that's pretty much the norm...

Got the multi-dead latch thing going on, have had for a while... not to mention the panic room that leads down to the sewer works and out to the estuary...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I did say "it's like a proper but very friendly local pub full of blokes with the same interest", the like in that sentence is important. Clearly it's not a golf club where women aren't allowed, I've never seen even a hint of misogyny  or prejudice,  and the women usually outwit the men anyway.   But you must admit that much of the banter is very blokey and conforms much more to male conversation patterns than female.

LOL that's fine, no prob. :)

There are a number of women here who feel comfortable enough to post regularly. There are a few women hiding behind monikers that don't reveal their gender. Even counting them in, we're a small minority. I attribute that to the fact that this website's regulars tend to be mostly over 40, and there are far fewer women over 40 who play bass, compared to younger women.

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread, and I don't find it male-centric, to be honest. :)

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Yeah, it all went downhill when they got the vote.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, ead said:

Yeah, it all went downhill when they got the vote.

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

They've got the vote?

*sigh*

And it was all going so well......

:facepalm:

Why couldn't we stick to safe subjects? Like contract killing, human experimentation and body disposal?

Eh?

Oh no.....you had to go and lob that grenade in....

istockphoto-486708168-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.f9e22d6e59aa59ec93af041be92ba4f4.jpg

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

They've got the vote??? 

Apparently so.  I believe lady peeps are also alowed to have thier own bank accounts, even left-handed lady peeps.

Phew, safely back on topic.

Edited by ead
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Paul S said:

You are saying we are all bats, I think.

That would technically make us Batchat.  Could be worse, I suppose.  Where's Bill Oddie when one needs him...? It's well known that he is partial to a bit of heavyweight funk.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

this website's regulars tend to be mostly over 40, and there are far fewer women over 40 who play bass, compared to younger women.

And the younger generation are more likely to use social media platforms than web sites, which are a bit old school. So there is potentiality a large virtual community of younger female bass players using FB or equivalent, who avoid this site as mainly old farts and rockers...

I'm sure the OP said he had formed an answer to his own question. I'm hoping to hear it.

• Like 2