Why become a member? ×

What makes this site work?

lemonstar

Any forum needs turnover and lots of visitors 

Not knocking this one but I use a 10th of it if that,

a look at whats for sale and whats wanted and an occasional look at general stuff

Whats your favourite strap ? etc isn't for me

.I use a local footy forum which has non footy section and  is showing 1,111 people online now !

That means fast turnover of topics and posts and regular visitors .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rich said:

You forgot:

* General good behaviour thanks to the ever-present threat of being lured to a deserted warehouse and shot in the face.

It seems you didn't get my retirement memo, Rich.

All wet work  and deniable black flag ops are now in the capable hands of @lozkerr and her team of Albanian gangsters. (10% extra for the sonic disrupter).

49 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

Whats your favourite strap ? etc isn't for me

God, yes, the trouble we've had in the past with threads about straps. Blood up the walls, mods being carried out on stretchers.

I hesitate even now to mention the word 'strap'. Just too divisive.

• Haha 9

On the whole BC is a great bunch of folks with a common interest, which doesn't include denigrating that interest. Yes there is the odd spat in Off Topic, but this is normally settled down as it it is dealt with quickly and efficiently by the admins and mod (tugs forelock/doffs hat as sign of respect :hi:). What never ceases to amaze me is not only the depth of knowledge of EVERYTHING (bass playing, plumbing, contract killing, you name it) but the empathy shown to others when things aren't going well (I refer you to the depression thread for a prime example).  I visit here many times a day and BC has become an intrinsic part of my life, I'm so happy I found it.

Now back to work you lot, or you'll get a lick of the cat I tell 'ee! *

*Tiddles isn't keen on the experience either, but we need to have some form of incentive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Selflessness makes it work. And the ability to mute the very, very few agenda driven types who are so in love with what works for them they can't see why it shouldn't work for EVERYONE.

Even they, I like to believe, sincerely want to help other people by sharing the truth they've discovered.

The rest give so freely of their knowledge and experience it makes BC a joy to be here.

Apart from introducing me to a seemingly unending way to spend money BC has introduced me to some amazingly helpful people. Just today I passed on two broken amplifiers to a guy I met at the Bash last year knowing he will sort them. My cables are made either by our own @obbm or with bits he supplied, the cabs and amps and basses I use I discovered here and almost exclusively bought here. I discovered my bass tutor here and that was the most important thing I've ever done. Even after playing bass since the early 80s I discovered the joy of being taught what I didn't know. I'm reading and writing music thanks to him and the great work of @TKenrick given freely here.

Sure people will get hot under the collar about things that, in the scheme of things, don't matter. God knows I can get defensive about brands I like - which is utterly ridiculous - but when I've struggled with life folk here have offered real life, real world help, kind words, and genuine support.

An online forum which enriches my life - what's not to like?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

God, yes, the trouble we've had in the past with threads about straps. Blood up the walls, mods being carried out on stretchers.

I hesitate even now to mention the word 'strap'. Just too divisive.

Oh great, you just had to bring that up. It's taken me 18 months of counselling to get to a stage where I could even think the S-word without hyperventilating, and now that's all down the drain. Back to square one. Thanks a bunch.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

"a lack of snowflakes"

See this kind of baiting would have once upon a time got me up in arms, but I don't see why anyone else here would benefit from reading a point scoring political row between two strangers. Even if one of them was as charming and eloquent as me.

So I let it float past.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Is it the forum moto, which roughly translates:

"Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should."

👍

I can't remember who said it first but I'm fairly sure the Forum motto is

'Whoever dies with the most toys wins'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm reading, I'm following - I'll reply a bit later - I kid you not when I say I have to make some soup before my wife gets in from work.Honestly - it was a serious question about something that baffles me. Signing up for different musician related forums over the years has been akin to venturing into an unknown cave and flicking the torch on to find a great empty cavern  - finding basschat is startling - like finding a cave where the roof is covered in bats!

Edited by lemonstar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5