Why become a member? ×

What makes this site work?

lemonstar

Well, I don’t know anyone on here, yet have still had nothing but great experiences buying, selling and from posting generally. It’s largely down to a community of decent people. I could count on one hand the number of threads I’ve seen in years on here that have descended into sniping. Most posts on most forums are the opposite of that IME...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

... It’s largely down to a community of decent people...

Before I discovered Basschat I would never had put the words “decent people" & “bassist" together but I guess this site is simply a magnet for the most genuine of bass players out there!!!  

Every post that I have read from this site either shows great comradery, fantastic support, a HUGE depth of musical knowledge or something that leads me to question why they are allowing the inmates of St Helen's institute for the mentally insane to have access to the World Wide Web?... :crazy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

If you're looking at it from a web developer's point of view, I'd say it's more to do with the content and community rather than the site design and features.

The design is great of course, but it would still succeed if you stripped all those bells and whistles away.

So I guess if you want to make a site succeed, you need to fill it with bassists!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

I just joined the site to shift some stolen bass gear but it turns out these guys are a bit of “alright"... :i-m_so_happy:

You are now in a world of deep sheep dung, my friend.  Expect a weird knock on your door at some ungodly hour.  We cant say when, natch

• Haha 1

Why is BC successful?

* The owners have got their heads screwed on and they're basically nice people, ditto the mods

* The forum's been going for years and years so everyone pretty much knows what to expect and how to comport themselves. 

* There are loads of sub-forums there's something for everyone

* Fairly busy For Sale marketplace with interesting inventory at usually fair prices

* The prevailing attitude is 'Whatever floats your boat'. Dogmatic intransigence (though not unknown) raises eyebrows

* Fondness for puns (particularly fish, cheese)

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Earbrass said:

The "Ignore User" button. 

Maybe you're joking, but that very aspect always stands out to me on here: virtually no need to use it.
Been on fora for keyboard players (from synth to pipe organ), guitarists and drummers, and those fora were invariably insufferable without heavy use of the ignore button.
Not so here.

Born as a keyboardist, I do think the bassist thing has something to do with it, but probably also the Britishness thing. Not that bassists and Brits are "better", but to me there is something with their style when disagreeing - something we call "roundness" in Norway. Dunno if that translates well, but guess you get it.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Maybe you're joking, but that very aspect always stands out to me on here: virtually no need to use it.
Been on fora for keyboard players (from synth to pipe organ), guitarists and drummers, and those fora were invariably insufferable without heavy use of the ignore button.
Not so here.

Born as a keyboardist, I do think the bassist thing has something to do with it, but probably also the Britishness thing. Not that bassists and Brits are "better", but to me there is something with their style when disagreeing - something we call "roundness" in Norway. Dunno if that translates well, but guess you get it.

There are a few on here that I've used the button for, that seem to want to antagonise for the sake of it. It's a nicer place without them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

There are a few on here that I've used the button for, that seem to want to antagonise for the sake of it. It's a nicer place without them.

1) You should be sleeping right now. 😉
2) Yup, and I have one person on ignore for that reason, and previously had one person on ignore coz he only was here to try and sell his products (I think he's gone). To me, BC is not the perfect forum, with perfect people, but simply far better than should be expected, and, to me, the best.
If that sounds too rosy, I have had moments of great sadness also on here. But in balance...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassTractor said:

1) You should be sleeping right now. 😉
2) Yup, and I have one person on ignore for that reason, and previously had one person on ignore coz he only was here to try and sell his products (I think he's gone). To me, BC is not the perfect forum, with perfect people, but simply far better than should be expected, and, to me, the best.
If that sounds too rosy, I have had moments of great sadness also on here. But in balance...

1. I know! 😂

2. Agreed, this is a fantastic forum and a credit to it's owners, staff and inhabitants. There will always be those who seek to manipulate discussion for their own sense of enjoyment and achievement, I choose not to engage with them.

Edited by BreadBin
Corrected!

9 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes dear, of course he did. And I suppose he was the one who sewed your nametags into them as well..? Tsk.

Gaaargh! :facepalm:

I've been framed by that Hellzero/Poirot character!

He's 'stitched' me up good & proper! :o

Youse gotta believe me,  D̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶m̶o̶u̶s̶e̶, erm, I mean Rich!

:D

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

There will always be those who seek to manipulate discussion for their own sense of enjoyment and achievement

There you touched on my mentioned element of sadness:
One might think some people act for their own sense of enjoyment and achievement  - whilst actually misunderstanding their posts and motivations.
I see (very few!) sad examples of this, where people unjustly hold a grudge against certain others for years after having totally misunderstood.
It saddens me, but is not defining for my overall enjoyment of BC.

10 hours ago, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

...or something that leads me to question why they are allowing the inmates of St Helen's institute for the mentally insane to have access to the World Wide Web?

Because it's cheaper than sending out the ambulance every time one of us goes a bit extracurricular.

This place is a marvel. I'm completely impressed.

• Like 1

Why do you all ignore me ?

Wait a minute, I can write whatever I want as nobody will read it, even the mods as the "Ignore Button" is directly linked to my pseudo, whoever you choose to ignore.

So here we go : the worst band in the world and linked to a province by the first digit in the title of a perfect film with an American accent which is a good idea and I'll meet you at the front of your relatives or two other than you can have a very sensitive nose with the bass comp on your computer games to play.

Signed and deciphered : @Teebs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Why is BC successful?

* The owners have got their heads screwed on and they're basically nice people, ditto the mods

* The forum's been going for years and years so everyone pretty much knows what to expect and how to comport themselves. 

* There are loads of sub-forums there's something for everyone

* Fairly busy For Sale marketplace with interesting inventory at usually fair prices

* The prevailing attitude is 'Whatever floats your boat'. Dogmatic intransigence (though not unknown) raises eyebrows

* Fondness for puns (particularly fish, cheese)

You forgot:

* General good behaviour thanks to the ever-present threat of being lured to a deserted warehouse and shot in the face.

• Haha 7