Why become a member? ×

What makes this site work?

lemonstar

I'm on and have been on a few other music sites and lot seem to struggle to stay active and sometimes there isn't a good vibe but it's hard to say why.

I've not posted much on here but I've only just started thinking about playing bass recently so I had no reason to be here but it seems to me, on what I've seen to be a site that "works" - any idea why that is? I can see one difference that I think is working in favour of this site but I'll hold that back and see if anyone else mentions it. I've built several websites and still have a couple for my work and I know it's very hard to know how to make a site work - to get people to sign up and actually take part. It's also a lot of effort just keeping on top of installing patches for open source packages (which doesn't always go smoothly!).

• Like 1

I'll chime in first, with my unscientific observations:

The site is well designed and uses a very intuitive interface. Try using Thefretboard site and see how frustrating a poor interface can be.

Fair bit of chat suggesting here that bassist seem to be more 'reasonable' compared to other instrumentalists. I'd like to think this is the case!

The mods do a very good job of responding to feedback, scammers and threads going off the rails. 

I don't know the stats, but I'd say there is a good core of people who chip in more than most and are happy to help folks.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, foxyFuze said:

I'll chime in first, with my unscientific observations:

The site is well designed and uses a very intuitive interface. Try using Thefretboard site and see how frustrating a poor interface can be.

Fair bit of chat suggesting here that bassist seem to be more 'reasonable' compared to other instrumentalists. I'd like to think this is the case!

The mods do a very good job of responding to feedback, scammers and threads going off the rails. 

I don't know the stats, but I'd say there is a good core of people who chip in more than most and are happy to help folks.

Yeah, I'd go along with this. 

14 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

"What makes this site work?"

Elastic bands, bits of chewing gum and the knicker elastic from the last pair of knickers that Valerie Singleton wore on Blue Peter... mainly.

I wondered why I have to keep pulling them up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hiya Lemonstar :crigon_04:

The technical side is pixies and magic dust, I assume... :scratch_one-s_head:

(and hard work from the admins / moderators / other technical bods).

From a content perspective:

- Massive amount of experience and knowledge shared freely;

- Kindness;

- Humour;

- Friendliness;

- Silliness.

:)

• Like 10

For me BC is a font of knowledge about basses, amps, pedals, equipment, recording, ohms, etc, I’ve learned so much from here, any questions anyone asks is answered , there’s everyone from bedroom bassists to professionals, it’s a great community, full of great people , where everyone can have their say 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

One thing that helps massively is dominance - if you're the only forum/website on a particular subject area (and region) then people are going to naturally gravitate towards that one (network effect).

The second thing which really helps is the admin/moderation team being long-standing and thus quite experienced - too often I've seen sites where mods come and go; and the new ones either don't know technically how to do things, or the 'power' goes to their head and it goes all a bit wonky, then they eventually make a fatal mistake or burn out and go crazy.

• Like 1

Pixies. They come out at night when we're all asleep -- well, most of us -- and they tidy the place up a bit**, stick a new hamster in the wheel and away it goes.

** they have a request for Teebs, by the way; if you're going to leave those things hanging around, could you at least put them in a bin bag. One of the pixies is having great difficulty getting the stains out of his tunic.

18 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Basschat hasn't been the same since The Big Beef Chief was banned …

:facepalm:

Yup, it's been a lot nicer. ;) 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Pixies. B*stards! >:(

** they have a request for Teebs, by the way; if you're going to leave those things hanging around, could you at least put them in a bin bag. One of the pixies is having great difficulty getting the stains out of his tunic.

They weren't mine, honest! :o  Hellzero left them! :D

• Haha 2

It's just quite nice and friendly round here.

I don't know what the the magic ingredient is that stops a lot of the crap that happens on other forums, but a lot of it has to be down to the people that use it regularly and the laid back but highly effective approach of the moderation team.

• Like 3

The unscrupulous,  the conmen,  those hell bent on trickery and skullduggery , are soon dealt with by Ped and a vigilant team.

Anything more serious that needs the introduction of a set of stairs to the offender, and my boys will sort it, pronto, because we're watching you too.

Sleep well :)

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think in general it’s due to just having decent people on here. Of course there are people with differing opinions on a wide range of subjects but in the main we’re a decent bunch. In the recent thread about the upcoming election myself and a few others had differing views but on a thread I posted about having to leave my band a good few of those members put some very nice comments up. I think it’s maturity, we accept that we may disagree at times but unlike the modern trend don’t let it feed resentment.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, fleabag said:

The unscrupulous,  the conmen,  those hell bent on trickery and skullduggery , are soon dealt with by Ped and a vigilant team.

Anything more serious thats needs the introduction of a set of stairs to the offender, and my boys will sort it, pronto, because we're watching you too.

Sleep well :)

Which doesn't explain the revelations in the...

• Like 1

BC is a welcome safe harbour from the toxicity of political discussion that pervades Facebook and other social media and forums.

I've only been on here since last summer, but everyone seems friendly and helpful (and generally seems to avoid politics... Long may that continue). 👍