Why become a member? ×

NBD SX SWB 5 Warwick / Spector "Style" Bass

spacecowboy

Apparently, it seems, after a little digging that these basses have been kicking around around since 2011, but I have only recently come across this SX “nod” to the Ned Steinberger Spector / Warwick ergo shaped bass, for argument let’s agree that this particular model looks, albeit loosely, like a PNUT / Stage 2 / Jazzman Warwick Streamer bass.

I’ve been keeping tabs on various outlets flogging this bass and managed to secure one on eBay recently and pocketed change from my £300.

Over the years I have personally owned 12 Warwick Streamers, mostly Stage 2’s in 4 and 5 string guises, a couple of Stage 1’s and 1 LX, these have ranged from handmade low numbered beauties from 1983 and some less lovely early 2000 models. Some good, some bad but I really love these basses… or do I? If I loved them surely, I would still have them? Or is it maybe that the resale value of them is always stable or in some cases you can sell it for more than what you paid and usually the demand for them is always healthy so selling them on is never a chore and quite irresistible when GAS strikes?

Anyway in short I’ve bought this relatively low cost 5 string homage to one of my favourite bass designs ever, I’m definitely not expecting early Streamer quality, nor am I expecting this bass to rival one of my previous Warwick ownership experiences, what I am expecting is a bass in thorough need of a good setup, pickup / preamp overhaul, a fret dress and a re string, but what might, after a little bit of effort, be a very playable bass that doesn’t get sold as quickly as the rest… It looks like a Warwick / Spector just without putting a dent in the bank balance.

Got to admit guys it’s a genuinely good-looking thing.

Any way it comes tomorrow so I’ll do a little unboxing video with some pics and some recordings in the next week, I'll give my honest feedback.

Does any one on here have one? 

512b1ecb9cab2.jpg.bb82caff00fb1289633726f6e0daea83.jpg535f5572aef90.thumb.png.b5bdd0cb996d272b0c54ba961eab2a29.png535f5572aff26.thumb.png.adfe837b3e3c1199b1bc22018eb10c1c.png

• Like 4

Well it looks the part, interested to hear about quality. Have heard good things about SX P and j copies but then again some people really rare Westfield basses for the price and I wouldn't call them anything more than a very basic beginner bass... I had a Brice from the same outlet as SX and have to say it was sh!te, hope this is good for you! 

Sorry about the long reply to this and anybody waiting to hear about it! 

Short review - Bass looks phenomenal for the money, doesn't sound budget but also doesn't sound pro, very light, very playable, setup was easy and the bass handled it well. Probably the best budget bass I've played but isn't a long term keeper.

frontfull.thumb.jpg.000c7a36a79e310e04290e8dace94116.jpgbackfull.thumb.jpg.24fa086d24806ac1a95fc70abd505373.jpg

Full Review - 

So the bass arrived, packaged well enough, no unboxing video as I opened it at work and I was uber keen to see what it looked like, you've missed nothing though, makeshift cardboard outer, SX printed fitted wedge cardboard inner with bare minimal padding, amazing the bass wasn't damaged, thought there was actually nothing in the box at all when I first got it... and with that point let's start there, 

Weight - Don't know if this is just something I'm not used to with the basses I play but this bass is really light compared to my other 5er's even my 4's and especially other Warwicks, the scales clocked this bass in at 3.2kg / 7lbs...

weight.thumb.jpg.49428e3a98d39ca33dddb69bdd152ab1.jpg

Initial Setup - Of course the bass wasn't setup very well, mile high action but intonation was perfect and neck was pretty straight.

Setup - Really easy bass to setup, Nut was filed pretty deep to start with and bridge was easy to drop in to a lower position, truss rod which was fully working, just needed a 1/4 turn tighten and everything was worlds better, the strings needed binning straight away as they felt and sounded bad, put some bright steel D'addarios on for some zing and now the bass is alot closer to what I'd want.

Fretboard and Frets - Didn't need to level or crown the frets I got the action low enough with the setup thankfully and have no buzz across the board. If this was to be a forever bass I'd spend the extra time doing that, but, the bass plays well enough for now, the frets didn't have sharp edges, all 24 were bedded nicely and the edges had been rolled neatly, impressive on a bass so cheap. The board was also a nice bit of rosewood, approx 6mm thick, decent grain and it drank up plenty of lemon oil again pretty damn good for a bass at this price point. White dot inlays across the board.

frets.thumb.jpg.766ab7569d79064863d650d92eb30022.jpg

Hardware - The bridge, knobs, strap pins and tuners are all "gold" plated, they're surprisingly really good quality, the tuners have held tune all week, the knobs turn as you'd want them, the mid point on the pot's don't "locate" as positively as you may want so it takes me a couple of rolls to be sure of the mid position before a roll forward or backwards, the bridge is a really good monorail style bridge which as mentioned previously is easy to move around to setup the bass as you'd want it to. Strap pins are good quality with some felt between the metal and the bass wood which again is a nice touch.

front.thumb.jpg.e1bbaea9efdacbbf193c22a317affb8c.jpgheadstockfront.thumb.jpg.68f3a3fbaabba06a6d7c182470b9290f.jpg

Woods - Very very light Mahogany body and neck with a Rosewood finger board, there is definitely 3 blocks used on the body and neck, 2 wings and a central neck & body piece, but the construction is flawless and the bass looks terrific, look at that curvature! I think it has been stained to look a little more like "Afzelia" as I haven't seen Mahogany look so "tanned" before, fingerboard wood is thick and as mentioned before has a nice grain pattern. Lovely matt finish to the woods.

curvefront.thumb.jpg.d1b267262ae79a94ecbc8e62171da29f.jpgcurveback.thumb.jpg.5d632b5cb29a170f5c4eb9c0d193a398.jpg

Pickups and Electronics - So this is perhaps the "weak" point of the bass depending on which angle you come from, I'm an EMG 2 band fan and usually lace my basses with that circuit and pickups, I also play a Sire V7 5 string jazz as my main bass and that has the incredibly ludicrous 18v 3 band more control than you need preamp and super hot pickups (Thank god for the passive switch), so when playing this bass which has a 9 volt 2 band preamp there is a very different tonal palette on offer and as such I'll not compare apples for apples more describe what this bass offers, considering there is a MM and angled J pickup configuration combined with a pickup blend, treble cut boost and a bass cut boost there is a surprisingly low amount of workable tonal variation available, the bass excels when treble and bass are at mid point and you ever so slightly roll to bias the front J pickup, this cuts the loud and sometimes hissy MM pickup off enough so it's not annoying and allows the bass to be heard without too much "preamp" influence, the only other workable configurations for me and the music I play are full MM with treble boost for some nasal finger style and you've guessed it, full J and a flat mid and bass for some slap, which for some people is all you want, for me i'll miss the instant dial-ability and wealth of tones the EMG circuits give me, but such a snobby point when we consider this is still probably one of the best looking budget basses you'll see. The circuit was wired neatly enough, plenty of room to mod the hell out of it and stick a beefier preamp and extra battery in should the feeling take you.

electronics.thumb.jpg.770e122dc1f5b50639039d58a014715d.jpgbattery.thumb.jpg.4cad5f7bc345adcac498cf012cef3ab7.jpg

Overall - I wish this was available 18 years ago when I started playing, I bought a Peavey Dyna Bass back then for £300 and this bass would have absolutely smashed it out the park, I need to remember sometimes that I have been spoilt rotten in the basses I've owned and played over the time I've been playing and if this had of been my first bass it would have been absolutely INCREDIBLE, a really minor setup got this bass super playable, it's so lightweight, it looks fantastic and for the money you'll be hard pushed to find anything better. For me it's not going to replace any of my basses, so it'll be sold on in the near future preferably to someone like me who, 18 years ago pined for a Warwick so they could be Stuart Zender but couldn't flip enough burgers to ever afford one.

Edited by spacecowboy
  • Like 1

great review! these look really interesting, what is the string spacing at the bridge please? i had a rockbass 5 string a few years ago and couldn't get on with the 16.5mm string spacing no  matter how much i tried, just too tight for me. if this is more like 18mm then i might have to get searching for one!

Matt

5 hours ago, Kev said:

That packaging is unbelievable!

But wow, what a bass for the money it seems, where did you get it?

Hi Kev, yep they must be really sure of their couriers! Luckily nothing at all damaged here! 

5 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Nice review, and I think you're right - depending on what you expect of it, it will either be a belter or a bit lacklustre but plenty of space to make improvements to the EQ. 

Feel free to drop my a message when you decide to move it on. 

Will do! I'm popping a video up later today going through the pickup variations so people can make up their own mind as to whats going on.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Great review, at that weight, I might keep an eye out for a second hand one and then look at changing the pickups and pre-amp

It's super super light weight! Again i thought the box was empty when it arrived! 

2 hours ago, Matt P said:

great review! these look really interesting, what is the string spacing at the bridge please? i had a rockbass 5 string a few years ago and couldn't get on with the 16.5mm string spacing no  matter how much i tried, just too tight for me. if this is more like 18mm then i might have to get searching for one!

Matt

I'll get my calipers on it asap and let you know, I actually think this could be 15mm... could be totally wrong though!

4 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I hope you didn’t have to pay the 600 and odd dollars they suggest on the website as a recommended selling price. You could have a real Spector for that price.

Haha! yeah that would have changed everything and I would have stayed clear, I paid less than £300 shipped, so felt like a safe punt! 

5 hours ago, Kev said:

That packaging is unbelievable!

But wow, what a bass for the money it seems, where did you get it?

Oh and sorry Kev I got it from this ebay seller look's like they get stock every now and again!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SX-ELECTRIC-BASS-5-STRING-ARCHED-BODY-NATURAL-SATIN-FINISH/362566353664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Did a quick pickup test video at lunch today for anyone wanting to hear it. Dry signal, bass straight in to my Apogee Jam in to Garage Band on a basic "Ampeg" amp setup with everything flat.

First off I'm sorry you have to listen to the same riff over and over but that's the best way to hear the difference... if you can. 

I've kept the Treble and Bass flat on all, but hard panned the pickups so you can hear what they're doing, there's text on the vid so you know what's going on, at the end of the video there's what the bass sounds like acoustically picked up by the camera microphone, in the middle of it all of course there's a little bit of Space Cowboy.

Honestly it really doesn't sound that bad, I'd like a bit more nasal bridge tone but the neck pickup sounds good. 

Edited by spacecowboy
didn't link a video like an idiot
  • Like 1

I want it!  very badly!  a new seymour duncan musicman pickup in the bridge would solve the worst issues I'm sure, and worst case the preamp could be replaced too.

That light?  and it looks SO much like a warwick it's crazy, actually..... just missing the brass frets, nut and bridge (But who cares for this price).

looks built VERY similarly to my new-to-me old peavey grind bass..... great build quality, but shoddy electronics (Which is the easy part to replace).