Why become a member? ×

Unexpected parties

Bassforradio

Okay, I am trying to get a consensus on this.

More than once, my band has turned up to play a gig at a pub or a club only to discover that there's also a party booked.

My feeling is that my band would generally charge more for a party/event than for a standard pub gig, but my bandmates also feel like it makes no difference what's going on at the venue; we're paid to play the gig.

So what's the general feeling on this? I feel like the venue is taking advantage and getting a band on the cheap.

• Like 1

If it's a pub gig, in a pub, usual load-in, start and stop times, then it's a pub gig. Pub gig money. I always think if there's a party in there, more people will see the band that probably wouldn't have bothered.

I've even done private functions for pub gig money. I tell them, 'if I can treat it like a pub gig, arrive at 7.30, start at 9 finish by 11.30, then I'll do it for pub gig money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, police squad said:

If it's a pub gig, in a pub, usual load-in, start and stop times, then it's a pub gig. Pub gig money. I always think if there's a party in there, more people will see the band that probably wouldn't have bothered.

I've even done private functions for pub gig money. I tell them, 'if I can treat it like a pub gig, arrive at 7.30, start at 9 finish by 11.30, then I'll do it for pub gig money.

That would be my feeling... if it’s a pub gig where you’re playing to the pub’s punters and there’s also party/hen night etc that happens to be in that evening then you’ve just got a built in audience who are bevvied up and ready to hit the dance floor. Take that as a win! And point out to the landlord At the end of the evening what a successful, floor-filling band you are, and yes you would like to book 3 more gigs please...

If you’re booked for a private function by those throwing the party then band rates rise accordingly.

If you’re booked for a pub gig At pub gig rates and you arrive to discover it’s a private party... that’s more tricky.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, police squad said:

That’s about the size if it for me too. 

However if we’re booked for a party (ie in a venue, and we’re booked on the basis that it’s a party) we charge double or triple what we do a pub gig for, owing to the generally increased faff.

• Like 3