Why become a member? ×

1973 Telecaster Bass

Interesting merger of old and newer. Is it just me thinking those Tuners look very close to the edge of the headstock? I'm sure reverse Tuners were discontinued by 1973 and anyway they did not have those little pointy shoulders by then? Seller says they are original.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Fender-1973-Telecaster-P-bass-guitar-Precision-Jazz-roadworn-70s-51P/274109536808?hash=item3fd2339a28:g:XmIAAOSw7xZd2E75

Saw that the other day, thought the headstock looked a little off at first. Might just be my eyes or the angle but the bump beneath the Fender logo seems to protrude more than it should, doesn't flow like a Tele headstock should to me and looks like it's been chopped down from a full size headstock. Here's the seller's:
s-l500.jpg

Here's a Google image:
im31005173409fender-telecaster-headstock

Might just be imagining it though, I don't really know much about Fenders!

28 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

The headstock should have a bullet truss adjuster. 

Hiding in plain sight!

27 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Hang on.. the seller says the neck isn't original in the description.

Yes, but they  do not mention it's a re-shape either! In fact they say ' The neck is from a reissue Fender Telecaster bass'!!!!!!!

Edited by yorks5stringer

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Yeah I read that, shape still looks a little off to me. Like I said I don't know much about Fenders though.

The shape is definitely not off an original Telecaster headstock and the decal is in a different place too.

Edited by yorks5stringer

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

I’ve had a few email conversations with this seller, he makes a lot of relics (which is what I wanted) but that’s not to say the parts here are cheap ones 

No,  just not as described..? Had a look at my Reissue P Blue Flower and the reverse Tuners are also very near to the edge of the headstock  however.

The head shape is definitely wrong. I have an all stock '72 Telecaster Bass which has a huge sound. I have seen some deals where Fender are currently selling Mex made  '51 P necks for £168, put one of those on the genuine body and you end up with a really nice vintage bass for around (£168 + £560) £728. Seems like a decent outcome. I'm sure the current neck would be worth £100 to someone.  So end up paying £628.

4 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Seller says it is a replacement neck.

But the title of the auction is:

"Genuine Fender 1973 Telecaster P bass guitar Precision Jazz roadworn 70's 51P"

The details then clarify that half of the instrument isn't "Genuine Fender 1973".

13 hours ago, prowla said:

But the title of the auction is:

"Genuine Fender 1973 Telecaster P bass guitar Precision Jazz roadworn 70's 51P"

The details then clarify that half of the instrument isn't "Genuine Fender 1973".

Really unusual to have an eBay seller try and mislead, isn't it.....?!

New:    Neck, scratch plate, pots and wiring.

Edited by yorks5stringer