Why become a member? ×

Pro refinishing recommendations

Soledad

I'm considering having someone refinish a bass body for me. Did a Google, Sims Workshop comes up and they are fairly close to me but don't have much detail info on their site.
I'm undecided yet between nitro and poly, I know the pros and cons but not firm either way yet. It's a Fender and I'll probably go for Lake Placid Blue.

Does anyone have any recommended painters - doesn't matter where in the UK really as I'll strip the bass down to body only so can ship reasonably easily. Advice and recommends appreciated 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joeystrange said:

Give Martin a ring and have a chat with him about what you want, I’m sure he’ll give you all of the information you need.

Cheers @joeystrange - just what I needed. I'll give him a call.

Thing is I have this really fab P that is my main gigging bass (a Jazz the close second) and it is all-round excellent except it's black and that is just not me - get the colour right and it's a lifer.

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

I'm considering having someone refinish a bass body for me. Did a Google, Sims Workshop comes up and they are fairly close to me but don't have much detail info on their site.
I'm undecided yet between nitro and poly, I know the pros and cons but not firm either way yet. It's a Fender and I'll probably go for Lake Placid Blue.

Does anyone have any recommended painters - doesn't matter where in the UK really as I'll strip the bass down to body only so can ship reasonably easily. Advice and recommends appreciated 👍

I'd try David Wilson in Hexham. 

I had a body and a neck refinished by him and was very happy with the results, plus David is a great guy.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002025970885

• Thanks 1

Well, what a morning. Spoke to a guy at Sims (apparently Martin is a bit part-time these days and wasn't there but their paint guy spoke to me). So, bass dismantled but poly finish left on for them to strip, then poly new colour, approx £650. Nitro add 50% to the paint part, comes in about £870... fork a duck.

As an aside spoke with Mark at Limelight recently and he will do me a 60s LPB Precision for a grand, so for £130 more than a nitro refin I'd get a whole extra bass - and a right nice one too.

SO> spoke (well FB'd) David Wilson - we're on. Around £310-ish for a full strip and nitro refin solid colour (3TSB may be more, dunno). He sounds ace, nice work on FB page. 6 - 8 weeks but I'll get some pics of the body in it's current black and then WIP and back in the LPB - just to share experiences and spread the word.

As usual on BC, if you ask for help you get it quick, good and true. Big thanks to all above👍

The Limelight will need to wait... sorely tempting tho'

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Well, what a morning. Spoke to a guy at Sims (apparently Martin is a bit part-time these days and wasn't there but their paint guy spoke to me). So, bass dismantled but poly finish left on for them to strip, then poly new colour, approx £650. Nitro add 50% to the paint part, comes in about £870... fork a duck.

As an aside spoke with Mark at Limelight recently and he will do me a 60s LPB Precision for a grand, so for £130 more than a nitro refin I'd get a whole extra bass - and a right nice one too.

SO> spoke (well FB'd) David Wilson - we're on. Around £310-ish for a full strip and nitro refin solid colour (3TSB may be more, dunno). He sounds ace, nice work on FB page. 6 - 8 weeks but I'll get some pics of the body in it's current black and then WIP and back in the LPB - just to share experiences and spread the word.

As usual on BC, if you ask for help you get it quick, good and true. Big thanks to all above👍

Interesting, I’m considering doing the same and had looked at Sims’ website. The cost they’ve quoted you is prohibitive for me, I’ll consider David Wilson instead. 

Thanks for inadvertently helping me.

6 hours ago, Soledad said:

Good choice.

Don't let the cheaper quote fool you, his work is really good.

On 25/11/2019 at 10:42, wateroftyne said:

Limelight are awesome, and Dave Wilson is a wizard. Great choices to have!

Who said anything about choice ;) OK, I suppose I could sell a body-part.

Just one of those coincidences that I happened to be discussing a 60's P with Mark, and the cost of that really puts the Sims quote into perspective.
So, I'm about to break down my P to send body to Dave W - he reckons about 6-8 weeks.

And still in contact with Mark re a Limelight, though that might need to be Olympic/tort now. As a reminder to us all, here's a Limelight 60s P (recently made for a BCer I believe) - just how GOOD does that look??

limelight.jpg

Edited by Soledad

25 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

...and it sounds as good as it looks 🙂

Aha, yours then? That'll be the one five back on the left rack at your meet.

Does it sound reasonably OK through the Acoustic rig? Like, north of acceptable.

On 25/11/2019 at 12:06, EBS_freak said:

Bow finishing.

Thanks, had a look and I'm sure they could do what I need very well, but having spoken to Dave Wilson by then I have committed already. It's a '90s bass and I will use it quite seriously so it'll get marks and dinks over time anyway.

9 hours ago, CamdenRob said:

“light relic” was the best that could be offered.

I understand that, I think if you want a Limelight you are happy with a replica roadworn / relic'd bass. I've discovered that perfect as new finishes cost at least one third (Dave) of a whole Limelight. I still don't know how Mark does such a great bass at that price and from what I've seen his light relicing is really convincing anyway. But it'll have to wait.

On 25/11/2019 at 10:39, Soledad said:

£870 for a P body refin? Blimey. Limelight all the way for that money.

Nice to hear about David Wilson, always handy to have refinishing options. 

On 25/11/2019 at 20:06, EBS_freak said:

Bow finishing.

Awful website, awesome finishing. https://www.bowfinishing.co.uk/

I was going to recommend them as well.  Sei (Martin Petersen) used to get their instruments finished there before getting Simms involved.   Simms are insanely expensive for an off-the-street punter.  I've finished instruments and yes there's a lot of labour involved in a gloss finish with all that hand rubbing with 800 grit towards the end.  But not 850 quid's worth.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

I have used Joseph at https://www.josephkayeguitars.com/ for a '66 Precision in sonic blue with light relic.  Fantastic finish and paint job.  Very lightly crazed.  Looks fab.  This guy really knows Fenders.

Like his site - he looks like he really digs the old stuff, handwound pups, GEC valves... very handy to know about.
Also interesting to know who Martin P has used and uses, because his output is obviously impeccable. Thanks @Kiwi