Why become a member? ×

LOCAL BAND PRACTICE SESSIONS

Boogiebass

3 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

What I hate is not having a clue how the song goes and being expected to make it up on the spot - hence why jam nights are not really for me.  I'm not against "jamming" in the true sense, more that I'm not going to magically get the bass lines for Mustang Sally at the drop of a hat, and nobody wants to hear me try

Same here.

I don't like those 'jams' when it ends up being a run through a bunch of songs that some people there know very well. They're invariably songs I don't like :D

You want to jam? Then let's jam. Choose a few chords if it makes it easier... and let's just jam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty much the story with anything I try to join in with at the moment, there's a uke group I go to on a Monday night, I've got the chord sheets and lyrics but know very few of the songs and the chords just don't match what I'm hearing in my head even when I try to practice them at home. Looking at chord sheets and tabs online is no better, some tabs are f'cking awful and just seem to get cut and pasted between sites. So disillusioned that when I'm trying to work out/learn a song I learn the lyrics, work out how to play the melody and work out a bassline from there.

Love the idea of taking 3 or 4 chords and going from there or maybe just choose a key say G then a progression say 1,5,8 just go random and see what happens 1,5,flat7,8 is quite cool if you bend the flat7  or 8 maybe slide flat7-8 and then you can just work the pattern around the Major L shape 😆 all over the neck

Edited by dave moffat
senility

Another week hopefully more improvement. Last night Uke orchestra thingy, been struggling with the rapid chord transitions especially as it's arranged around tenor/concert/soprano tuning while I'm playing a baritone and not really my thing but it is challenging and making me a better musician (I think). Made a start on their Christmas tunes booklet. I've been on the point of chucking it in but I'm really improved so signed up for the next year.

Today is all bass, practice our playlist in the afternoon, possibly another guy joining us so maybe more of a jam. Pub jam tonight think I've got most of the lyrics chord sheets printed off, just need to put them in a folder. Hopefully make a better fist of things this week, with luck the other bassist will be there to keep me right and missus is calling in on her way back from college so she'll just join in with vocals tonight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good practice this week, made a start on a couple of numbers which had been languishing on the back burner, Duelling Banjos kept fking up the chords as my mind was set in DGBE mode b ut I was playing a tenor (GCEA) and IF, made acceptable progress, worked out what key we need for me to be able to do the vocals.

Doing a straight swap of my Kala tenor Uke for a Lanikai baritone to tune GCEA and there's a luthier lined up to defret the next addition to my Bass collection. We're going to fit in a jam over the festive season, the other guy's B-I-L is coming over from Ireland and another who may be joining us on a regular basis. Tuesday's jam was a bit of a washout from my POV as they were running through their set for Sunday's gig which is fair enough, great to listen to though and I probably learned more than I'm was aware of.

Missus joined me for the UKe group social on Monday although she hardly touches her uke she didn't make a miss note/chord until after 2hr in and really enjoyed herself. Looking for a lightweight keyboard for her xmas, to jam with cos I'm not lugging the fekin great DCX640 around. She'll be asked to gig way before me, she really is that good (grade 8 and then some) and there's not that many keys players.

Son has retrieved his bass and guitar with the permission of his missus, so I have a bit more room for my collection, I'm trying to implement a 1 in 1 out policy so I think that counts as 2 out 😎