Why become a member? ×

Oh no, it's ANOTHER Geddy Lee Jazz!

OutToPlayJazz

Well, two days on & it's appeared via UPS... Setup even with the stock strings is sublimly low & fast. Everything they say about the neck on the GL is true... It's the loveliest jazz neck I've ever played on! Will need to bring the action up a little when I change the strings later, as I usually take my basses down to 35-90's.

this is probly a really dumb question to you guys but ive been unsure of this for a while a cant get a definate answer; are the player custom basses you can buy, like the geddy lee mex's and the artist's custom is the USA custom shop model?

Edited by SiOfBass

The Geddy Lee sig model is made in Japan as an exact replica of the original bass owned by Geddy Lee. There is a post in the general discussion forum that links to bassplayer.tv and there are interviews with geddy who explains that the neck of the original bass has finally worn out so he took one straight off the production model and put it on the original body. He changed the tuners on it and Fender are now going to change the tuners on the new ones (which is great cos the E tuner on mine is all over the place and really lets the whole thing down, will get round to changing it one day)

Soooooo... the answer to your question is that it is about as similar as it is possible to get without nicking the original
(which i am not advocating, endorsing or encouraging in any way shape or form your Honour)

Edited by chris

[quote name='SiOfBass' post='41297' date='Aug 4 2007, 04:20 PM']this is probly a really dumb question to you guys but ive been unsure of this for a while a cant get a definate answer; are the player custom basses you can buy, like the geddy lee mex's and the artist's custom is the USA custom shop model?[/quote]

The Geddy Lee model is made completely in Japan (MIJ). Maybe someone else here can fill us in on Fender's US activities - aren't some US models (MIA) - ie the Highway One - just put together in the US with the components being built in Mexico? I'm really not sure about this.
P

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='40366' date='Aug 2 2007, 10:30 AM']Well, two days on & it's appeared via UPS... Setup even with the stock strings is sublimly low & fast. Everything they say about the neck on the GL is true... It's the loveliest jazz neck I've ever played on! Will need to bring the action up a little when I change the strings later, as I usually take my basses down to 35-90's.[/quote]

Congratulations; that looks a peach. Where did it come from?

I played a GL signature straight out of the box at Sam Ash in Las Vegas last September. I was stunned how good it was. I asked the guy in the store whether they had any in stock and he just sauntered out back and opened the fresh from Japan shipping box for me. It was beautifully set up, didn't need any adjustment except to tune it up a tone. It sounded amazing.

As a footernote here, amongst the thirty or so basses I played that afternoon was one of the Squier '75 reissues - essentially a clone of the Geddy, but in ash/maple sans the BadAss. There was absolutely no comparison, other than it was tuned to EADG. It was quite simply an entry level bass. Don't let anyone try and fool you into thinking those Squiers are 'just like the Geddy Lee model now I've added a BadAss bridge'.

P
x

Thanks, NJ - It's from Thomann in Germany... Cheapest around without going to great lengths to get one from the USA. Yes, I know what you're saying about the Squier VMJ, as I had one earlier this year. It was a nice enough instrument to play, but the Geddy has it nailed in every respect. Played through my MarkBass rig it's more than a match for my Warwick $$, if not packing quite the punch. In short, the best jazz I've ever played, including US models, which I've always found cumbersome and awkward to play. This one is fast, lithe & "slinky"!

SiOfBass,

The Geddy Lee signature is a made in Japan model, with lovely build quality to boot. You are right, some of the current Fender artist models are made by the custom shop division, but only the Pino Palladino Precision & the Reggie Hamilton Jazz models. I'd hope these two were pretty good, being as they usually have price tags in excess of £2,000!

Bass_Junkie, let's see... The Japanese build quality is supreme (some even say better than the MIA models), the whole neck/fingerboard is glossed, the signature model has the neck further shaved down in thickness (thumb to fingers) the same as Geddy's original neck on his 72, so it's an ultra fast neck. The badass II bridge comes as standard, it has the vintage USA pickups, so the bass frequencies are very warm, while the top end is Marcus Miller sharp.

All in all it's a fantastic bass for the money. (I got mine from Thomann.de for £588.) Look at the spec of all the bits & none of the rest of the Fender range comes close for the money. Don't get me wrong, I've had a standard Mex Jazz 5-stringer & it was lovely, but this is just in another league for playability :)