Why become a member? ×

Stiffness in hands the morning after gigs

Graham

Plus one for making sure you are properly hydrated. I do find that, after double bass gigs, I am often 'sore' but I have always put this down to basic fatigue and not being particularly match fit. It is always less of a problem when I gig regularly but I am finding, as I get older, that I am not playing as much and so get increased problems of this kind when I do gig. The hydration thing is often spoken about on double bass forums.

37 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

Interesting and something to keep in mind

No worries - often when is middle aged blokes batter out Achilles’ tendons trying to do young people exercises as well as an eccentric loading force ya being dehydrated has a massive influence

Great advice on this thread! I for one definitely need to look into supplements. My elderly father swears by turmeric btw. 

Regarding stretches, I follow all the exercises in this particular video as part of my morning and evening routine now even if I'm not playing that day. A great help. 

+a million for staying hydrated! 

• Like 2

I had this about a year ago, it lasted about 6 months. Fingers stiff and painful first thing in the morning, I was convinced it was arthritis.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/334923-morning-finger-stiffness/

Thankfully it seems to have gone away. I joined a new band a few months ago and have been practicing loads and still no problems. At the time of the issues I think I was trying to learn some fast stuff and was playing with far too much tension in my fingers, I’ve since forced myself to relax when playing faster stuff.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Update

I gave up trying to get a doctor's appointment, as even answering the phone turned out to be a bridge too far for the surgery.

I bought some arthritis gloves - there's two sets of fingerless gloves in the pack, a warm pair which I've found quite useful for driving on cold mornings and a set of lycra(?) compression gloves.

Last weekend, I wore the compression gloves on the drive home and while I could feel it in my hands the next morning, they were definitely less stiff than they'd been in the past.

Last night, I forgot to take the gloves with me and had quite stiff hands this morning, so put the gloves on for about an hour and now feel a lot better.

So, I think the best thing to do is buy another set and keep them in my gig bag.

I'm also going to try taking turmeric capsules, but haven't bought those yet.

• Like 1

I've noticed the tendons on the back of my right hand for the ring and pinky fingers can get a wee bit stiff and sore. I use an ointment called Joint Ace if I'm going to be doing a lot of strumming, put it on about an hour before, rub it well in then rub off the excess as it can get a little gunky on the fingers, I've also started to wear 'silk' gloves out of mountain warehouse outside, especially when I'm travelling to where I'm going to be playing. I'm also being more diligent about warming up, usually just some scales and arpeggios.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I know we’re all different, but I’m pretty sure my Physiotherapist would have a few things to say about that. This may well be OK for someone who has no issues with their hands, but I don’t think it’s great advice for someone who already has unless you know exactly what the issues are. I’ve been going to my Physio for several years now and not once have we ever bent any of my fingers back as shown above. My tendons and pulleys are already buggered and that would not only be very painful, but would also make them worse. At present I am wearing a splint every night to keep the fingers straight. It’s quite painful once I wake up, but about five minutes after it’s off, I’m pain free. I’m also having ultrasound and laser treatment every Monday. That’s helps hugely. There’s also another thing she does that I can’t remember the name off involving a smouldering lump of black stuff held over each joint. She doesn’t do that every week, but it’s good. I’ve also recently been experimenting with putting ice on my fretting hand for a few minutes then soaking It in warm water. Also helps.

Wise words. 

Best of luck with all of the above and I really hope the treatment you're receiving helps you to continue playing for a very long time to come. 

• Thanks 1

On 02/02/2020 at 09:11, Graham said:

I bought some arthritis gloves - there's two sets of fingerless gloves in the pack, a warm pair which I've found quite useful for driving on cold mornings and a set of lycra(?) compression gloves.

Oh no! For goodness' sake don't let @Al Krow know you are wearing compression gloves...

On 02/02/2020 at 09:53, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There’s also another thing she does that I can’t remember the name off involving a smouldering lump of black stuff held over each joint.

I think that in physiotherapy circles the technique is referred to as "spliffin' up".

• Haha 1