Why become a member? ×

Stiffness in hands the morning after gigs

Graham

This morning, and the morning after the last last few gigs, I've woken up with my hands/fingers feeling stiff; I've had it before and it'll go away before too long, but it looks like I'm now getting it consistently.

There's a history of athritis in my family and I've had auto-immune responses before, so I'm guessing it's related to that.

Has anyone else experience of this or found exercises that helped? As I'd like to try and address it before it gets worse?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Graham said:

This morning, and the morning after the last last few gigs, I've woken up with my hands/fingers feeling stiff; I've had it before and it'll go away before too long, but it looks like I'm now getting it consistently.

There's a history of athritis in my family and I've had auto-immune responses before, so I'm guessing it's related to that.

Has anyone else experience of this or found exercises that helped? As I'd like to try and address it before it gets worse?

Have you tried using those “Bowie" balls from the Labyrinth??!!...

I've heard it helps if you get the blonde mullet and leggings on the go as well (the tighter, the better).

If it is arthritis related I suspect the increased frequency is due to the cold weather. I have arthritis in my spine and its brutal during the winter. 

The only options I've been given (and I'm following this thread with interest for any more ideas to help) is pain killers (which I'm avoiding due to concerns around side effects) but mainly stretching and exercise. 

I have the early stages of arthritis in both hands and it certainly manifests itself in the way that you're describing - and as DoubleOhStephen points out, the fact it is becoming more regular at the time of year that it's getting colder is also a clue. That said, when it's at its worst my knuckles can become visibly swollen.

I wouldn't presume to be able to diagnose any condition but it sounds like a trip to the doctor's may be worth while. 

As far as dealing with it goes, it's just Ibuprofen for the pain/swelling and then I find that a few minutes using these finger exercisor things gets my fingers moving more freely again

Screenshot_20191124_092014.jpg

May be worthwhile keeping them warm after with some form of gloves, compression ones or regular when you sleep - also look into adding turmeric into your diet or supplements for anti inflammatory properties and don’t discount CBD products - they have been working well with arthritis patients 

Magnesium supplements are intended for bone strength...

Also multi-vitamin tablets are rumoured to do wonders.

Interesting story, I'll keep it brief;

A local bloke had developed an issue with his right leg where it would remain constantly numb and he'd feel only a “pins and needles" sensation throughout the limb. 

He was an older chap and after numerous visits to several GP's and doctors, none of whom could diagnose or cure the problem, he eventually learned to live with the numb limb and had adapted his movements and lifestyle to compensate this. 

One day however, several years down the line, a friend of his suggested taking a particular daily vitamin supplement.

With nothing to lose the chap would take these daily tablets and then one day on a stroll back from his local, the sensation started to return to his right leg. He stumbled and almost fell over...

It then took him two & a half hours to walk the half a mile home back from the pub as he had to retrain himself to walk the way that he used to when his legs were both fully operational...

To this day he still takes the supplements and both legs are in full operation!

So basically those “multi-vits" can provide what our bodies may be lacking from our diets of overly processed foods, however every person is different and what may work for one might not necessarily be right for another.

I'll update you with what those magic tabs were... 

(Probably turn out to be LSD or something... :sad: )

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
shameful grammar

I have had lots of issues with my hands, as I rode a road bike in my youth. No gloves in the spring time. Now my hands are cold, if the temp is below 25. I use wool gloves even during sleep.

One thing is to take care of the wrist area and the hand muscles. Both need some exercise. It is not so uncommon to fill hand muscles with lactate. Warm up, and if it is not enough, visit a manipulator.

By the way: White sugar is really bad for my wrists. No exercise and lots of sweet food make my hands hurt.

1 hour ago, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

Magnesium supplements are intended for bone strength...

Also multi-vitamin tablets are rumoured to do wonders.

Interesting story, I'll keep it brief;

A local bloke had developed an issue with his right leg where it would remain constantly numb and he'd feel only a “pins and needles" sensation throughout the limb. 

He was an older chap and after numerous visits to several GP's and doctors, none of whom could diagnose or cure the problem, he eventually learned to live with the numb limb and had adapted his movements and lifestyle to compensate this. 

One day however, several years down the line, a friend of his suggested taking a particular daily vitamin supplement.

With nothing to lose the chap would take these daily tablets and then one day on a stroll back from his local, the sensation started to return to his right leg. He stumbled and almost fell over...

It then took him two & a half hours to walk the half a mile home back from the pub as he had to retrain himself to walk the way that he used to when his legs were both fully operational...

So basically those “multi-vits" can provide what our bodies may be lacking from our diets of overly processed foods, however every person is different and what may work for one might not necessarily be right for another.

(Probably turn out to be LSD or something... :sad: )

No doubt Calcium and Magnesium for bone, we are often Vit D deficient due to mainly being indoors, but be careful with too much Vit D supplementation, it can bring out Calcium problems.

The pathogenesis of arthritis is that of inflammation, hence turmeric and CBD, once you have worn down the cartilage etc and getting bone pain, it’s quite advanced, but nothing wrong in keeping all things strong 

Thanks for the replies chaps, I think I'll make a doctor's appointment as it's taken longer for my hands to recover this morning.

I'd never considered seasonality as a factor, but I'm sure the temperature/climate will be playing a role.

My wife's quite into herbal remedies, so she's going to look at a termeric paste to keep in

• Like 2

+1 for Turmeric 1/4 teaspoon twice a day or a or capsules from the like of Holland and Barret

If like me your on an acid pump inhibitor (Lanzoprazol, Ranitidene etc) they inhibit the body's ability to take up magnesium so taking a mag supplement might help

Vit D, this time of year I reckon is a good idea unless you work outside

Finally keep your hands warm (gloves?) and warm up exercises at the start of a session

and yeah I've been getting pain in my right hand after longer practice sessions recently - bass (finger picking) the middle of the back of my hand; uke/guitar (mostly strumming chords)  the outside of the back of my hand.

• Like 1

oh and I started making a powder to add to sandwiches &etc which you'd think would be pretty vile but it's great lightly sprinkled on steaks, chicken breasts and things 

equal parts

ground turmeric, anti inflamatory

ground black pepper, helps the body absorb the turmeric quicker

ground ginger good for the circulation especially in the legs

ground dried garlic, great all round digestive and circulatory properties and mild antibiotic

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dave moffat said:

oh and I started making a powder to add to sandwiches &etc which you'd think would be pretty vile but it's great lightly sprinkled on steaks, chicken breasts and things 

equal parts

ground turmeric, anti inflamatory

ground black pepper, helps the body absorb the turmeric quicker

ground ginger good for the circulation especially in the legs

ground dried garlic, great all round digestive and circulatory properties and mild antibiotic

Oooooh!! Natural remedies, me like...

You don't per-chance originate from Totnes do you?... Oh, wait, you eat meat...   Probably not then...:laugh1:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Graham said:

Thanks for the replies chaps, I think I'll make a doctor's appointment as it's taken longer for my hands to recover this morning.

Do you play hard? Dig in?

If so change your right hand technique and play lighter. Then you can drop the action and give your fretting hand a break as well.

56 minutes ago, Graham said:

Lots of well-intended advice here, but a surprising amount seems to be about building strength and tightening your grip. That may well be the answer to all your problems, but in that case you'd be the polar opposite to me. 

Playing bass involves keeping both hands and their fingers under more-than-usual tension for long periods. What I need is not more tension but more stretching to loosen everything up.

As an experiment, try this. Use your left hand to stretch back each finger (and the thumb) on your right hand, one by one, as far as is comfortable with the web between fingers feeling the stretch. Don't overdo it, don't hurt yourself. Then reverse hands.

Repeat this randomly all day while you're watching TV or staring idly into space, and see how your hands feel later.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Lots of well-intended advice here, but a surprising amount seems to be about building strength and tightening your grip. That may well be the answer to all your problems, but in that case you'd be the polar opposite to me. 

Playing bass involves keeping both hands and their fingers under more-than-usual tension for long periods. What I need is not more tension but more stretching to loosen everything up.

As an experiment, try this. Use your left hand to stretch back each finger (and the thumb) on your right hand, one by one, as far as is comfortable with the web between fingers feeling the stretch. Don't overdo it, don't hurt yourself. Then reverse hands.

Repeat this randomly all day while you're watching TV or staring idly into space, and see how your hands feel later.

Cheers Jack, will give that a go

43 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Totally agree. If the OP is gigging regularly then he obviously has enough strength already. 

You beat me to it, as I was also going to suggest gentle stretches.

OP...before you go on for a gig, try doing some gentle stretches (as mentioned above by Happy Jack..or from the clips below. There are lots of others on YT). Spend a few minutes doing them. Do the same immediately  after  the gig and again just before you go to bed. It may seem like a nuisance, but each session should only take a few minutes and IMO is well worth the (minimal) time and effort.

Edited by Coilte
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

Oooooh!! Natural remedies, me like...

You don't per-chance originate from Totnes do you?... Oh, wait, you eat meat...   Probably not then...:laugh1:

Ahh Totness, the centre of the universe allegedly erm nope. I'm in the Galloway hills (turn left at Gretna.......)

Used to look after cattle and sheep which are alleged to cause heart attacks, they do, along with fractures, missing digits and depression but only while the b@strds are alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

Possibly vitamin D. My brother suffered pain for years until being diagnosed with chronic vitamin D  deficiency, he now has to take twice the RDI. A few days without and he starts to get back pain.

Plenty of sound advice above. I'd also suggest having a look at and perhaps changing the setup of your instrument and even the way you play it. If you are getting on a little and may have a tendency towards developing arthritis, playing an instrument with heavy strings and/or a high action (if you do) will aggravate the situation. Posture and the way you hold the instrument is important, too. If you tend to use a 'claw' type of technique that puts your hands under tension, that will not help matters. 

• Like 1