Why become a member? ×

NBD Ultra Precision

TrevorG

Just needed a lighter guitar to practice on. Ended up with one of the best bassesI've ever played. Feels boutique, sounds classic Fender. Workmanship is stunning. Active and passive. Massive tonal range and four pounds lighter than my Spector. If there was such a thing as an ears-shoulder-and-fingers doctor I'm sure he would prescribed this bass.😁

20191123_192858.jpg

20191123_192927.jpg

IMG-20191121-WA0002.jpeg

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, mr zed said:

This is one of the new American Deluxe/Elite jobbies isn’t it? I recently acquired an Elite and it is Awesome. Hope you get as much joy out of your new Ultra as I am getting with the Elite. Lovely bass!

It had been unpacked at the store the same day I went in a bought it. I thought the seller was going to cry. Yes, the new Ultra series. I tried the Elite and was blown away. I think there may be a difference in the preamp and some body shape differences but that's it. Sadly, there were none in a colour that didn't clash with my snobbery.  Great basses.

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

The ultra is 6 pounds?! Bloody hell. Looks like Fender have taken some serious leaves out of Sandberg’s SuperLight book

That's what I meant by "feels boutique". Along with the active board and the insanely fast neck the whole thing has the presence of a workshop special... only with a genuine Fender sound!😀

10 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Good to hear that Fender aren’t just putting a premium moniker on a standard type instrument and coining it in, but are actually turning out a proper, high level bass. Congrats on your purchase, enjoy.

Many thanks. I'm no fender devotee (in fact the last fender I owned was horrible)but it feels like fender have gone looking for the player who can afford expensive copies but would prefer the real McCoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedVee said:

Nice looking Bass!.......I am tempted to get the Mocha P Bass, but why on earth did they get rid of the truss rod wheel?

Seen talk of this elsewhere on the net. Never used it so I don't miss it but I heard you still needed adjustment tools to use it so I'm not sure of the advantage. P.S The Mocha looks really good!!

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CameronJ said:

The ultra is 6 pounds?! Bloody hell. Looks like Fender have taken some serious leaves out of Sandberg’s SuperLight book

That is very light.    I had a look at Sweetwater website and the four they have are around 9lb.  The 6lb one be an outlier - does it balance ok?

2019-11-24-20-04-49.png

Interesting that Fender have used the tuner mounted string retainer on the A string for the Ultra series but not the American Professional range despite having the same tuners. Wonder if it actually does anything or something else that they added to give it every bell and whistle to make it Ultra in every sense?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Interesting that Fender have used the tuner mounted string retainer on the A string for the Ultra series but not the American Professional range despite having the same tuners. Wonder if it actually does anything or something else that they added to give it every bell and whistle to make it Ultra in every sense?

I’ve put these on my US Precisions, never had a problem before I knew of them, just figured it’s a safeguard worth having, seeing as the A is known as being pesky for some.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

That is very light.    I had a look at Sweetwater website and the four they have are around 9lb.  The 6lb one be an outlier - does it balance ok?

2019-11-24-20-04-49.png

The balance is lovely but I may have got the weights wrong. The brochure I have says six pounds and it's a lot lighter than my Spector which is advertised as 10lb9oz. The basses in the picture are made from Alder. I have the aged natural which it's made from Ash for the grain. Alder is more dense. Maybe that is where the difference idea...

Edited by TrevorG