Why become a member? ×

How to get the sacking wrong

Happy Jack

Sounds familiar.
I was in (& managed) a well known tribute for 26 years and shared the social media control with my fellow founding member. We agreed many times that, when either of us decided to call it a day, the band would fold so as not to dilute our hard earned excellent reputation or confuse venues/fans etc. If the other person still wanted to continue then the band could change its name and find a replacement member.

Sadly, haven given months of notice, the day after I played my final show I was ejected from the band page & blocked.... and the band continued on with the same name. 26 years of supposed friendship & loyalty gone overnight - and this guy was even Best Man at my wedding. Oh well, seems loyalty counts for nothing.... and his speech was shite tbh! lol!

I'm pleased to say that the 2 other (non-founding) band members then jumped ship leaving him having to make replacements for 3 of us. The new version now play to half the audiences and gig reports suggest they aren't anywhere near as good or authentic. Karma is a beach... especially as I'm now out doing bigger and better gigs with superior musicians & singers ;)

Onwards and upwards.... living well is the best revenge!

Edited by cetera
  • Like 4

On 23/11/2019 at 23:47, Silvia Bluejay said:

Nah, doesn't work like that. :) The gentleman in question was the owner of the page, in that he created it before HJ and I met the band. Then he handed over its day to day running to me. I'm possibly the only person who hasn't explicitly fallen out with him, but he obviously can't have me around any more on whatever's left of the page (if anything).

I'm working on the new page, but it's almost bedtime, so I'll continue tomorrow.

You can have multiple managers and admins of a page. 

2 hours ago, ambient said:

Never be envious, enjoy what you do. That’s all that matters 😁

Thats the way I regard things.  I admire achievement and ability but am never envious of it - in a world full of people who have achieved more and with greater ability my life would filled with envy and negativity 😂.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

Yeah you can have multiple admins. I'd have thought the bare minimum criteria for being an admin on a band's page would be that, if you ever chose to stand down or leave the band, you'd do the necessary to hand over the admin to another.

It’s not just that. What happens in the worst case scenario and your admin dies?

You have to build everything from scratch.  

In reply to the admin discussion: you can have multiple admins, all of whom have the same authority, on a normal FB page. If the page is part of a 'business' entity created by one of the admins - the 'owner' - before the page in question was tagged on to the business and other admins added, the business owner will always have the power to kick any of the admins off the page and block them, but not vice versa.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2019 at 23:50, Silvia Bluejay said:

HAHA! Exactly. FWIW, I'm currently in control of all the Dynamites' social media, if we include the new FB page. But I'm technically not in the band, which I think is slightly safer for everybody. :D

It's actually a good point worth raising that in an ideal world it would be a good idea for all bands to have a 'webmaster' that isnt directly involved with the band and would take no sides when someone leaves or is sacked just for the reason set out in the OP but its frequently not very practical.

5 minutes ago, KevB said:

It's actually a good point worth raising that in an ideal world it would be a good idea for all bands to have a 'webmaster' that isnt directly involved with the band and would take no sides when someone leaves or is sacked just for the reason set out in the OP but its frequently not very practical.

If one of the bandmates happens to be married to a professional social media manager, who will in any case always follow a code of conduct in the managing of any account, whether belonging to family or friends or simply to strangers, I believe that to be an even better idea.

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

I am envious of anyone who is more successful than I am. The answer is to use that envy to push yourself to do better.

I'm envious of solo acts when bandmates frustrate me (not often but it happens sometimes).
I use it to push myself to do better, and that's why they're still alive, as I successfully control my murderous urges and I am a better calmer person as a result ;)

• Like 1