Why become a member? ×

Anyone using a Mono Stealth gig bag?

dave_bass5

As above. I'm still looking for the ideal gig bag for my Yamaha BBP34. I have a Gator Transit, nice bag but a bit bulky for what need. The Stealth looks ideal, but i dont see much talk of it. 

I had a Vertigo bag but that too was a bit too bulky. The Sleeve doesnt look quite as good although that's also on the list. 

Thanks but that doesnt look much different from my Gator. Both have walls, whereas the Stealth doesn't. My Gator isnt that big, but when I'm carrying  the bas and a bag on one shoulder and my cab in the oither hand its quite cumbersome. I have thinner gig bags that work fine but i want something in between. 

I should have pointed out I'd like a top loader for a change. 

I've not seen the Stealth before, but it looks like an evolution of the Bass Sleeve, with the large pocket replaced with discreet, smaller compartments for accessories.

I've used a Sleeve for a few years now and it's a great bag. Instrument protection is good and it's comfortable to carry. I do find large Fender style tuners will be nudged out of tune as there's no depth to the bag but that's not a big problem. I also wish it had better protection on the base for when you put it down, but mine is lasting well nevertheless.

If you're happy with the more limited storage I would think the Stealth would be a good buy.

• Like 1

Looks like the Stealth is the Vertigo without the "boot" and with reduced storage. So lighter than the Vertigo, less bulky and cheaper. Looks good if you are the only one who carries your bass.  I use a Vertigo but if anyone else is moving my bass the hard case comes out.

Thanks for the comments. I liked the Vertigo when I had it, until i found i couldn't fit it behind the front seats of the car. It was just slightly too bulky. It's only ever me that carries the bass so i dont need all the extra protection. With all my other bass I normally just use a very, very thin Levy's bag. No protection at all really, but it sits really low as on the shoulder, which is ideal. 

I remember getting the Vertigo over the Stealth as i planned to use my Sire bass, and the knobs stick out quite a bit and i was worried about them getting snapped off. None of my other basses would have this issue though, and i only want it for my Yamaha PB34.

Ended up ordering a Stealth from Thomanns. Should be here by the weekend so ill update the thread with a small review.

I was going to get the Sleeve, but what swung it for me was the ability to pack the straps away when not in use. All my bags have the unused straps either tied up or just hanging, as i only use one shoulder strap or the handle on them. I like the idea of not having too much hanging down.

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s why I chose the M80 over the Vertigo, if not using the straps nice to have the option to pack them away.

Yeah, and it seems Mono have added this to the Stealth but didnt on the Sleeve. Quite a price difference and to be honeset its more a luxury rather than a necessity, even buying a new bag is more GAS than anything else, but hey ho, its the BC way 🙂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

For that price I would want a bass as well. Can someone explain why they are worth that money?

I have plenty of basses that cost way more than £160 so for me its a non issue.

The price is what it is, same with anything these day. For me its worth it because it has all the features i want. Many cheaper bags have most, but not all in one bag.

Edited by dave_bass5

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I have plenty of basses that cost way more than £160 so for me its a non issue.

The price is what it is, same with anything these day. Fro me its worth it because it has all the features i want. Many cheaper bags have most, but not all in one bag.

Well answered. I also have plenty of basses that cost over £160.

I do think Mono cases are expensive, but they’re good. There’s a real feeling of quality and solidity to them that for me says unless something really bad happens my bass is safe inside it. And that’s the main thing, plus as @dave_bass5 says, they have all the features I want. Although I have a cheapy Fender gig bag for my cheapy backup bass, my main basses only go in either a Mono gig bag or a Hiscox hard case.

I admit i have no need to spend this money on a case, i don’t even take my Gator Transit out of the house, which is more than good enough as far as protection goes. I just fancy a top loading case, more compact than the Vertigo and something that will sit well on one shoulder. 

It's only money after all 😎

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had the bag for a week now, and its ok. Bigger than i thought (only slightly), very comfortable ot wear and doesn't sit too high, which is a big deal for me.

Only issue is that due to the tuning the tuners are at right angles ot the neck, so closing the bag is very tight. I dont mind it going out of tune, but i just hope its not adding more stress to the tuners.

As with the other mono bags ive had ill sell this at some point, but for now its doing its job.

Right, think I'm going to sell this. ITs really nice, but what's bugging me is the start headstock is just sitting on the neck support, meaning the bass isn't sitting as flush as it should be. Going to try a strip of thick foam in the bottom of the bag first (plenty of room to move the bass up a bit), if not, well i had to give it a go. 

That looks like a nice bag. I like my Gator, which is similar, but wanted something thinner, without the walls. 

I find it strange that none of my Fender style basses fit the neck protector properly. Ive got some thick foam strips arring tomorrow. Should just be thick enough to push the bass up inside the bag so it sits better.