Why become a member? ×

The little rascal!

Andyjr1515

31 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Haven't MM copyrighted/patented the 3+1 machine head styling???

Be careful

8VXICZjl.jpg

Yes they do.  And especially the term 3+1 which is a registered trade mark in itself.  Which is why I never refer to it, and I don't do this commercially ;)

• Like 1

Definitely on the final furlong.  Last 'mechanical' bit done - fitting the bridge and making sure it all lines up:

4SNFTFXh.jpg

I use a couple of old strings to line it all up - you can do it with a long ruler but I find the real thing is more accurate.  The double check is that the lipsticks have a centre line - so a rule from the middle of the nut should run right down the middle of all of the dots, along the pickup lines and to the centre of the bridge.  To my admitted surprise, it does! :)

Now I can do the final tweak of the pickguard to make sure it is all square with the bridge.

And this morning, the electrics and knobs arrived :)

So, still to do:

- final tweak of pickguard

- sand neck

- apply finish to neck (it will darken just a touch)

- square up tuners and add back screws

- Level, recrown, polish and fret-end the frets

- Check the conductivity of the body chamber and copper line if necessary.  Copper line the pickguard

- Fit the electrics

- Final setup

The next big project after this is...the bathroom.  Oh joy ;)

Oh, and just for completeness sake, here's the back:

kgVshEnh.jpg

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, scrumpymike said:

If the next job is the bathroom, I'm surprised you didn't manage to stretch this one out a bit longer - to around April 😊

I took it to mean that he'd not been for a long time, such was his intent on getting the bridge set, and was looking forward to the next jobbies.

Didn't Walt Disney used to do that?  He'd work until he was busting to go and then run to the bathroom knocking people out of the way as he went.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Didn't Walt Disney used to do that?  He'd work until he was busting to go and then run to the bathroom knocking people out of the way as he went.

I'll never be able to look at Mary Poppins in the same way now I know that!  

From years of battling with trying to get Stratocaster pickguards to fit, I now know that step one is to take and impression of the carved chambers! :

OvYIXR2l.jpg

Then you can mark up the pickguard where the wires have to run:

cB003Z6l.jpg

Note the dogs b******s CTS push pull :)  Hmmm....more about that shortly

4CGNiaNl.jpg

Oh... and note the super detailed genuine Fender wiring diagram :) Hmmm...more about that later...

Xcrgbowl.jpg

Here's the finished wire-job:

qNxkb8rl.jpg

Well...before assembling it, finding out the error in the Fender wiring diagram and the fact that the top quality CTS pot is, in fact, duff.  The pushpull works a treat, but the pot itself is shot! On full, crackle, off kind of shot.

No matter - it will be a 1/2hr job to swop round when I get the replacement.

But - aside from having to swop the pot out, here we have it:

v8WS3EVl.jpg

W4Re9jbl.jpg

Oj1m2Fkl.jpg

Like all my stuff...not perfect.  But certainly pretty ;)

And the pickup combinations?

Bridge

Bridge+middle

Middle

Neck+middle

Neck

Neck+bridge

Neck+middle+bridge

That should distract @scrumpymike enough while the rest of his band is trying to get through their repertoire :)

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

From years of battling with trying to get Stratocaster pickguards to fit, I now know that step one is to take and impression of the carved chambers! :

OvYIXR2l.jpg

Then you can mark up the pickguard where the wires have to run:

cB003Z6l.jpg

Note the dogs b******s CTS push pull :)  Hmmm....more about that shortly

4CGNiaNl.jpg

Oh... and note the super detailed genuine Fender wiring diagram :) Hmmm...more about that later...

Xcrgbowl.jpg

Here's the finished wire-job:

qNxkb8rl.jpg

Well...before assembling it, finding out the error in the Fender wiring diagram and the fact that the top quality CTS pot is, in fact, duff.  The pushpull works a treat, but the pot itself is shot! On full, crackle, off kind of shot.

No matter - it will be a 1/2hr job to swop round when I get the replacement.

But - aside from having to swop the pot out, here we have it:

v8WS3EVl.jpg

W4Re9jbl.jpg

Oj1m2Fkl.jpg

Like all my stuff...not perfect.  But certainly pretty ;)

And the pickup combinations?

Bridge

Bridge+middle

Middle

Neck+middle

Neck

Neck+bridge

Neck+middle+bridge

That should distract @scrumpymike enough while the rest of his band is trying to get through their repertoire :)

I was just going to say that I like d the look of the CTS although I don’t rattle  their normal pots When I read the “ duff” part.

• Like 1

"And the pickup combinations?

Bridge

Bridge+middle

Middle

Neck+middle

Neck

Neck+bridge

Neck+middle+bridge

That should distract @scrumpymike enough while the rest of his band is trying to get through their repertoire :)"

Although the original Fender Rascal didn't work for me due to the quirky body, I absolutely loved the unique pick-up/switching configuration - which is why I decided to have 2 custom versions made from the original Rascal.  Every position gives a distinctly different but equally giggable tone, and I use them all in our classic rock set.  Looking forward to seeing how the 'budget' Artec pick-ups and Eden neck compare with the OE Seymour Duncans and Fender neck.  Both were ruled out of this Mkll build on the grounds of cost and availability.

Another great job Andy, this just looks so darn coooool 😎

• Like 1