Why become a member? ×

New GK Fusion S heads

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

The BB2 will be the gigging cab of choice? 

Yup and it's effectively an upgrade from the SC which I got with perfect timing just before the start of the first lockdown.

The Fearless is set up for (pretty much) every day home use with the Mesa M6. Fantastic pairing and a hugely tough act to follow on the road, when eventually we get back out there at the end of May...😁

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The 4 ohm CN212 is significantly louder than my individual 112s Dave. Both cos its 2 x 12 and also because it's 4 ohm rather than 8ohm. It's an outstanding cab! And you're mad for selling it. You won't not be a bass player forever... 

it breaks my heart to sell it, but i need the money, and dont plan on playing bass live for a very long time.

At least i achieved tone nirvana with my current rig, and now have no need to mess with it. im going out on top lol.

The GK L8 was fantastic, but i felt too over priced for what it offered over what i had. Very, very happy with the Fender now, at less than half the price.

• Like 1

Just now, foxyFuze said:

For what it's worth, I've run my Fusion S 500 with BB2 at a couple of rehearsals with full band and it's easily kept up, 

That's very encouraging to hear!

Out of interest, what are you planning on replacing your S500 with?

Just now, Al Krow said:

That's very encouraging to hear!

Out of interest, what are you planning on replacing your S500 with?

I've a Bassman 100T which is simply excellent.  The GK comes close, albeit with its own character so holding onto both for variety and ease of moving will be no hassle if it doesn't sell. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup and it's effectively an upgrade from the SC which I got with perfect timing just before the start of the first lockdown.

The Fearless is set up for (pretty much) every day home use with the Mesa M6. Fantastic pairing and a hugely tough act to follow on the road, when eventually we get back out there at the end of May...😁

Maybe a 4ohm cab would be a better single cab solution? That way you’ll get the most out of any head you decided to get down the line. Lots of great deals out there too! 

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

Maybe a 4ohm cab would be a better single cab solution? That way you’ll get the most out of any head you decided to get down the line. Lots of great deals out there too! 

What have you got in mind that would give a BB2 a run for its money?

Besides, being able to put out 300W at 8 ohms is not a limiting factor here, so no pressing need to change cab!

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The 4 ohm CN212 is significantly louder than my individual 112s Dave. Both cos its 2 x 12 and also because it's 4 ohm rather than 8ohm. It's an outstanding cab! And you're mad for selling it. You won't not be a bass player forever... 

A 4 ohm cab is not significantly louder, the relationship is not linear without taking into account all the other things involved with cabs

51 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

A 4 ohm cab is not significantly louder, the relationship is not linear without taking into account all the other things involved with cabs

Agree, and as i gigged both the CN212 and F112, and rehearsed a lot with both, i can say that there is a noticeable difference between the sound of the two cabs, and how  the bass sounds, but not volume wise, at least, i never had to turn one up louder than the other. Very different sound signatures though, and I preferred the less in your face CN212. Obviously having 2 drivers will mean it can go louder, but no one runs their rig flat out, especially with a 800watt amp, even in to 8 ohms.

I think sensitivity is more important than watts and ohms. 

Edited by dave_bass5

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What have you got in mind that would give a BB2 a run for its money?

Besides, being able to put out 300W at 8 ohms is not a limiting factor here, so no pressing need to change cab!

Just suggesting that a 4ohm cab would get the most out of the majority of heads taking into account max power handling/cab rating etc etc.

Edited by krispn

Well I A/B'd exactly the same two cabs ie the F112 and the CN212 side by side and put the same volume / gain settings through them from the same amp, with no other competing noise from other band members. Guess what, the CN212 was louder. No surprise there. 

Not sure anyone said there is a linear relationship. 

Other things being equal (eg speaker excursion), increasing speaker cones from 1x12 to 2 x12 and reducing the load being faced by the amp from 8 ohm to 4 ohm will result in an increase in volume. That's not really a point we should be debating!

But what I'm actually interested in is not to debate cab volume 101, or my choice of cab which I'm very happy with, but to find out what folks experience, if any, is with these new GK S-range heads. 

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well I A/B'd exactly the same two cabs ie the F112 and the CN212 side by side and put the same volume / gain settings through them from the same amp, with no other competing noise from other band members. Guess what, the CN212 was louder. No surprise there. 

Not sure anyone said there is a linear relationship. 

Other things being equal (eg speaker excursion), increasing speaker cones from 1x12 to 2 x12 and reducing the load being faced by the amp from 8 ohm to 4 ohm will result in an increase in volume. That's not really a point we should be debating!

But what I'm actually interested in is not to debate cab volume 101, or my choice of cab which I'm very happy with, but to find out what folks experience, if any, is with these new GK S-range heads. 

The initial statement by yourself earlier came across that a 4 ohm cab is significantly louder than an 8 ohm cab - that is incorrect.

Perceptible volume increase with a 1x12 vs a 2x12 is entirely feasible due to the second speaker. 
You did mention the 2 together, but even that does not necessarily mean it’s significantly louder.

We can spare the physics as per your request (the linear relationship comment was a nod towards this) but as we all know threads do meander on and off topic and debate is welcomed by all, especially to correct something not quite precise and correct so as not to perpetuate ‘myths’.

I am sure you would agree that is reasonable, as well as to find out what the heads are like

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

I really like mine.

I just wish I had chance to use it now and again... ☹️

Thanks mate. Just been back and re read your excellent review post on March 10th - I see you got the amp at around the same time as I got my BB2 i.e. just before first lockdown. Ugh. 

The thing that jumped out at me re-reading your post was that you were comparing it favourably to your Genzler 800. I know that the GM800 has a huge amount of love on BC, so for me that is high praise indeed. Would you still stick by your first impressions post and also continue to summarise it as having "depth and clarity"?

Thanks also for reconfirming my understanding of the difference in output for S500 and the S800. Quite a quirky difference of approach between the two! 

Edited by Al Krow

30 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Would you still stick by your first impressions post and also continue to summarise it as having "depth and clarity"?

Absolutely. 

Over the years I’ve had a Genz Benz 6.2, a Fender Bassman 100T, an Aguilar TH350, the Genzler Magellan and, most recently, the GK Fusion.

I’ve liked them all in their own way but the GK is my favourite of the bunch - largely because it seems to be an amalgam of all the others. It can do the “dirty” sound of the Fender and the Aggie at one end of the scale and get close to the “clean” of the Genz/Genzler. 

If one wanted to be picky, it lacks some of the build quality of the Genz(Ler) and it’s not as simple to use as the Aguilar but it’s certainly not flimsy or badly built and once you’ve found the sounds you want between the two channels, it’s easy enough to find them again.

I tend not to play around with my amp settings that much - I might swap between a clean sound and something with a bit of grit but that’s about it - so once I’ve got an amp to sound the way I like I tend to leave it there. If I was playing lots of genres and needed to keep changing the fundamental sound of my bass then maybe the Genzler is a better and more flexible choice - or a Helix and an FRFR speaker. But as the amp that lets me find “my” tone, the Aguilar and the GK have been my favourites and, of those two, the GK has just that bit more versatility and character.

I used to have a couple of Bergantino CN112s which I swapped out for a pair of Barefaced One10s so the pairing of GK head and One10 cab may have more of an impact than if I was still using the Bergs. That said, those Bergs were incredibly good and I wish I’d had chance to play the GK through them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just wanted to add this, then ill shut up and go back to my keyboard corner 😁

While I understand what you are saying, or quoting, these are quotes from Alex on the BF website in regards to the BB2 (a 1x12).

Anyone using a good 2x12" or 4x10" but wanting deeper cleaner lows and more accurate mids and treble without any loss of loudness.

• It's the first 1x12" to compete with great 2x12" and 4x10" cabs for tone, bottom and loudness
  • It's so sensitive you can gig with a 150W amp but it'll handle 800W amps without complaint for maximum output and headroom
  • Like 1