Jump to content
Left leaderboard
NancyJohnson

D-Tuners/advice please.

Recommended Posts

My wife is asking me what I want for Christmas and I suppose I'm at the stage in life where if I want anything I just buy it, so pickings are short, really.  That said,  was thinking though about throwing a D-Tuner into the mix.  I have an old Aria Primary Bass that has a set of clover-leaf Schaller BMF F-Series machines, effectively these:

GEWA+34593.JPG

Schaller don't seem to make a D-tuner any more, but Hipshot make the BT2:

ex8y0wfe2apk9mhrpetq.jpg


The mounting holes look similar, so I'm assuming installation would be easy enough.  I'm wondering whether anyone has mixed things up and installed a Hipshot with Schallers?  If so, do the clover leafs line up properly in general use or look odd?  Also, could the clover-leaf/peg be swapped over from the Schaller to the Hipshot to match the patina of the Schallers (rather than having a shiny new one up against three old ratty ones)?

Thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a hipshot BT2 extender/detuner installed on my '81 precision (not currently installed on a bass so I *could* probably be persuaded to part with it.) When installed alongside the original Fender-branded schaller BMF tuners, the extender lined up with the original tuners perfectly. There doesn't seem to be a way to dismantle the Hipshot to remove the key, however I have had success with  'peek' metal polish to shine up nickel-plated tuners that had a fair amount of patina , So if you want them all to match, getting rid of the patina might be an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I had a hipshot BT2 extender/detuner installed on my '81 precision (not currently installed on a bass so I *could* probably be persuaded to part with it.) When installed alongside the original Fender-branded schaller BMF tuners, the extender lined up with the original tuners perfectly. There doesn't seem to be a way to dismantle the Hipshot to remove the key, however I have had success with  'peek' metal polish to shine up nickel-plated tuners that had a fair amount of patina , So if you want them all to match, getting rid of the patina might be an option.

The existing Schallers are in pretty good shape...if you want to hit me up etc.  I think a D-tuner is just something I could throw on there and rarely use, but (like compressors), it would be nice to try one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a hipshot put on a Mexican jazz alongside Gotoh basic fender replacement tuners. The luthier chap is very handy with all sorts of engineering and woodwork stuff and he had to grind down the edge of the hipshot to fit it on. If he hadn't told me I would never have known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The D tuner on my Wal is a Grover rather than a Schaller MB4. The MB4 version was no longer available when I wanted to order so Hipshot  and their customer service guys sourced me this direct, reassuring me it would slot right in and the aligning logs would match perfectly. It did and you’d never know the difference unless you’re looking for it...

Wal with the “wrong” tuner

685EB622-A4BB-4896-B66A-7BEA137DBE42.thumb.jpeg.4ac1109221d900b596e070e0b074b77c.jpeg

Wal with correct but unbranded tuner...

910D5E73-1B96-477A-AE52-D43590875972.thumb.jpeg.c3e585f0856c7bd3005090b1c667cf55.jpeg

If you’re uncertain on which model to order, drop them an email. I found them really helpful.

 

 

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2019 at 10:41, NancyJohnson said:

 

Schaller don't seem to make a D-tuner any more, but Hipshot make the BT2:

ex8y0wfe2apk9mhrpetq.jpg


The mounting holes look similar, so I'm assuming installation would be easy enough.  I'm wondering whether anyone has mixed things up and installed a Hipshot with Schallers?  If so, do the clover leafs line up properly in general use or look odd?  Also, could the clover-leaf/peg be swapped over from the Schaller to the Hipshot to match the patina of the Schallers (rather than having a shiny new one up against three old ratty ones)?

Thanks

PS, those aren’t mounting holes on the D tuner. They are the rivet holes holding the tuner to the rotating plate...

 

Hipshot often used the actual aftermarket tuners and incorporated those into their D-tuners. So if the OEM stops making the original tuner they can only use their own variations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

PS, those aren’t mounting holes on the D tuner. They are the rivet holes holding the tuner to the rotating plate...

 

Hipshot often used the actual aftermarket tuners and incorporated those into their D-tuners. So if the OEM stops making the original tuner they can only use their own variations.

It's OK, Trev, I know there's a plate under the riveted one!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's OK, Trev, I know there's a plate under the riveted one!

Ah, cool. You were just model matching. Hadn’t twigged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, just in case it's of any help in the future, I bought the Hipshot BT2 from Jose, the holes match up with the Schaller, so it was a straight off/on.  Five minutes.

The Schaller ferrule won't accommodate the shaft of the Hipshot (radius too narrow), so you need to fit the Hipshot one.

All in all, very pleased.  Took a couple of minutes to set up the drop.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Well, just in case it's of any help in the future, I bought the Hipshot BT2 from Jose, the holes match up with the Schaller, so it was a straight off/on.  Five minutes.

The Schaller ferrule won't accommodate the shaft of the Hipshot (radius too narrow), so you need to fit the Hipshot one.

All in all, very pleased.  Took a couple of minutes to set up the drop.

 

 

glad it worked out well! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...