Why become a member? ×

Opinions on a local band The Lost Himalayas.?

bubinga5

I can see what they are trying to do, it’s a bit generic sounding, like a poor mans jamiroquai/Brand New Heavies/Incognito, but with a good band,  live it could be a lot better and more dynamic. The singer needs to be put out of his misery or find the auto-tune software on his computer.

I would say with a kick-*ss singer and a good band it could be good.

Edited by NJE
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

It would be interesting if you said more about why you ask the question.
They're indeed a local band, and lack both large studio budgets, studio experience and a wide compositional scope - or depth for that matter.
Not that I'm criticising them for it; one is what one is.

As @NJE says, it's a bit generic sounding, and if they wish to develop, I think they do need to have harsh looks at these songs, and find out about how to improve them.

The singer's not wrong to me though. I think this mainly is about lack of experience and lacks in production and mixing. Both singer and rest seem to me to be slightly overwhelmed by the studio situation, and for example the drummer seems like one who accompanies rather than one who drives. I'd love to play with that person though.

Live, they indeed might be a lot better.

Of course, if this is a band with 60 years of experience behind them, then I'd say "Carry on!", and scarper.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

It's difficult to be objective when it's not really your thing, and this is definitely not my thing. As said above, it's definitely got a Jamiroquai vibe to it. Which is another band that's not really my thing, but I quite like in moderation. I would say the same about this band. If all their stuff had this kind of vibe I would tire of it pretty quickly, which is a personal taste thing and not necessarily a criticism of the band. Having said that, I like this track. It's got a cool, laid back feel, and a catchy chorus. It's the kind of thing I would tap my feet to on the radio, and maybe sing along with in the chorus, but I wouldn't go out and buy. I think the above criticisms of the singer are a bit unfair. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with his voice, and it suits the style of music, but the vocals could be much better processed. They come across as a bit "raw" if that makes sense. 

This track would certainly be enough to pique my curiosity and go and see what else they'd got if they were playing local. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Well i wanted an unbiased opinion as ive been asked to join the band so yes some were right. 😆

I was asked to stand in last minute on these recordings because the other bass player had some personal issues, so thats my last minute playing. I was just playing as simple a bass line for the songs. Im still not sure as im not a fan of the vocals either. I have played live with them once.  How do you tell someone there vocals arent up to scratch. Hmm.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Thanks for the feedback. Well i wanted an bias opinion as ive been asked to join the band so yes some were right. 😆

I was asked to stand in last minute on these recordings because the other bass player had some personal issues, so thats my last minute playing. I was just playing as simple a bass line for the songs. Im still not sure as im not a fan of the vocals either. I have played live with them once.  How do you tell someone there vocals arent up to scratch. Hmm.

"How about getting vocalist in, then we could make more of your excellent guitar skills..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

Thanks for the feedback. Well i wanted an unbiased opinion as ive been asked to join the band so yes some were right. 😆

I'd quite like to play in a band like this, if it was me I'd take the gig!

I liked your tone on the first track, your playing supported the song nicely and I digged that little funky fill at 3:02 - had a bit of a Zender vibe to it.

The vocalist is a bit hit and miss in places but I don't think he's a complete mis match, especially on the second track you posted.

How long has the band been going ?? Is it fairly new, or been around for ages.  If it's fairly new I'd be even more tempted as so much opportunity to grow.

20 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I'd quite like to play in a band like this, if it was me I'd take the gig!

I liked your tone on the first track, your playing supported the song nicely and I digged that little funky fill at 3:02 - had a bit of a Zender vibe to it.

The vocalist is a bit hit and miss in places but I don't think he's a complete mis match, especially on the second track you posted.

How long has the band been going ?? Is it fairly new, or been around for ages.  If it's fairly new I'd be even more tempted as so much opportunity to grow.

Yeah its very new. A few months.

• Like 1