Why become a member? ×

Ah Via Musicom

thegummy

Does anyone have any info on the bass sound on Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom? Specifically the track "Desert Rose" but other tracks also.

One of my favourite bass sounds but can't find any info on it really.

Is it just a DI'd Jazz bass? Were any amps used also? Any other info at all, even strings, playing style, pickup etc.

Fingers crossed!

Been a great fan of Eric Johnson 3 decades ago. Roscoe Beck with his 5 strings wide strings spacing signature model on this record, but not on all titles. I think it's not him on Desert Rose, but Kyle Brock. Need to find it back and give it a new run after 2 decades to see if still can listen to that kind of music.

Edited by Hellzero
3 decades, not 2...

One of my favourite albums of all time. The sleeve notes list both Kyle Brock and Roscoe Beck as playing bass on Desert Rose. At the time, Roscoe would’ve been playing either his ‘60s Jazz Bass or his Stevens’ custom 6 string (this eventually morphed into his Fender signature). Kyle played a P bass with an added humbucker (a double J type affair) in the bridge. Amp wise Kyle used Hiwatt and Seymour Duncan rigs live and Roscoe was a Trace Elliot player at the time, IIRC.

• Thanks 2

+1 here for EJ - glorious ecstatic playing and tone. Re. the singing... go with it. Allan Holdsworth's catalogue has some distinctly 'iffy' singing but it doesn't detract from the other musicians. Even got used to the clunk of 'the secrets of life in his attache'!