Why become a member? ×

Humbucker Selector Switch (Active)

adamg67

I feel like I've missed a trick with my Maruszczyk Jake, it has the Delano MC 5 FE https://www.delano.de/mc_5_fe/mc_5_fe_details.html at the bridge but nothing to switch series / parallel / single. For how easy it is to add I thought I might add the basic on/on/on switch version (same one that's on page 9 here: https://www.delano.de/downloads/installation guide_2018_1.pdf ).

I've only ever done wiring on passive instruments though, so just wanted to check as the pickups have both wires going into the preamp (via the blend switch) and just the shielding going to earth, so I'm assuming I just leave the earth as it is and have the outputs from the switch replace the current outputs from the pickup, if that makes sense - drop the switch in between the pickup and preamp? I realise I'll get some output differences between the different positions but that's fine, and with blend and eq should give me an extra tone or two.

Edited by adamg67

2 hours ago, adamg67 said:

Leave the earth as it is and have the outputs from the switch replace the current outputs from the pickup, if that makes sense - drop the switch in between the pickup and preamp? I realise I'll get some output differences between the different positions but that's fine, and with blend and eq should give me an extra tone or two.

Spot on. I've done it a few times with Delano pickups.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/11/2019 at 14:36, BassBunny said:

Spot on. I've done it a few times with Delano pickups.

Hi @BassBunny – with Delano pickups, do you have to request extra wires/contacts for series/parallel etc, or is it straight forward to do with any pickup?

I'm building a new bass that has been routed for a Delano MM and a J and I'm exploring wiring options – I will create a new post shortly

Cheers

The Delano MM range all come with 4 wires, ( 2 for each coil ), and a shielding earth. Everything you need is there to wire up to the correct switch and you can get single/series/parallel switching. 

The link to the wiring diagram is in the first post but I'm sure it's included in the paperwork with the pickup.