Why become a member? ×

Pekka Pohjola live with Made in Sweden, 1976

BassTractor

43 minutes ago, Earbrass said:

Thanks for posting. Just wanted to add that, despite the band name, the rhythm section comprising Pekka Pohjola and Vesa Aaltonen was actually made in Finland 😊.

Aye, and even called that: "Made in Finland", though not officially. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, itu said:

The late Bass General did lots of progressive and somewhat complicated music

Methinks he made many luvverly albums under his own name as well as with The Group, and I also love much of the Wigwam stuff - a lot.
That said, listening to his albums, and I think I've got all of them, I tend to feel a longing for something slightly more adventurous.

Fun fact, in the late seventies or early eighties, I played in a Dutch band called "The Group". We were so famous that we sold at least 13 records, maybe even more than 15, and when I once told some Dutchman our band was called "The Group", he looked at me in awe and went: "You play with Pekka Pohjola?" 

Well, it's one way of hearing about a musician you later learn to appreciate! 😄

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

To clarify my previous comment, I downright love his music and playing. I even had a chance to see him playing live maybe two, three times. The bands were so tight and at the same time so relaxed. The just played! Bass General is one main reasons I still play. I covered some song of his while applying to a music school in my late teens and got in.

Now, I am far away from his level but his playing made me try to develop and reach for more. His son, Verneri Pohjola is also an honored musician. Fathers and sons...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, howdenspur said:

Like that, though not my usual diet. Is it me, or is that a remarkably good quality video/film recording?

It is to my ears too.
Apparently it was made by our local "BBC", called NRK. It probably was broadcast at one point.

Which reminds me: we lived in times when it was possible for national TV to give us for example a one hour prog gig...
...on Saturday...
...at 8PM.

Whoa!

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 3