Why become a member? ×

NBD - Vigier Passion

White Cloud

Saw it on Gumtree going for a song, made a tentative enquiry ... bang, before you know it, its bought! You know how it is.

I'm now the proud owner of a stunning 5 string thru-neck (graphite/flamed maple laminate) Vigier Passion 3.  It arrived today after two days in transit (still in tune) and it's a beauty. According to the previous owner there is a connection to Alphonso Johnson (he has provenance via Patrice Vigier). 

I owned a Vigier Arpege (ex Hue & Cry) back in the 80's but had to sell it to pay bills ... suffice to say, I'm a happy camper.

$_58 (2).jpeg

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, itu said:

Wow, a 5! Which year? 1990 or so?

To be honest I have no idea.

The seller revealed that he bought it used 16 years ago but wasn't sure of it's exact age. It has been unplayed for a few years, has a little bit of wear, but is in very good condition. Minimal fret-wear etc. 

Absolutely beautiful bass and the tone is to die for.

Nice, does that have Benedetti pickups?  I think that the earlier neck through Passion and Arpege models are really state of the art instruments, even more so than the newer bolt on models with Delano pick ups. Not that there is anything wrong with the newer models, they are still great too (I own a bolt on Arpege five string).

I already have an Excess and Arpege, so the Passion is the only one left for me to get to obtain the full Vigier set...once I have the funds...

• Like 3

Awesome! I just bought a Passion iv 5-string. It really is a beautifully built bass. I can't comment on the earlier series, but these pickups and preamp sound fantastic. This is the first bass I have owned where the blend actually works and doesn't function like a three way switch!

IMG_4071.JPG

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Nice, does that have Benedetti pickups?  I think that the earlier neck through Passion and Arpege models are really state of the art instruments, even more so than the newer bolt on models with Delano pick ups. Not that there is anything wrong with the newer models, they are still great too (I own a bolt on Arpege five string).

I already have an Excess and Arpege, so the Passion is the only one left for me to get to obtain the full Vigier set...once I have the funds...

Thanks!

Yes, Benedetti pickups... incredible sound. I would liken this bass to a Ferrari: an elite, top, top quality bass. I haven't tried a newer version but know just how good Delano pickups are. 

Nice family, really sweet! I also owned an Arpege back in the day. It was the best bass I've ever owned (better than my Wal).

Acquiring this bass has really fulfilled a long-standing wish to have another Vigier. They are like rocking horse poo...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Awesome! I just bought a Passion iv 5-string. It really is a beautifully built bass. I can't comment on the earlier series, but these pickups and preamp sound fantastic. This is the first bass I have owned where the blend actually works and doesn't function like a three way switch!

IMG_4071.JPG

Beautiful bass, congrats!!

Awesome!! I know you’ve been a big fan of Vigier for a while so I’m really pleased you’re now in possession of this one. Nice to have the proper case too - those are even harder to find than the basses!! I’d love to see some more pictures of it 🥰

Guessing this has the Preamp with sweepable parametric EQ, I have the original manual for it somewhere so will attach here when I find time. 

Cheers

ped

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

IMG_4071.JPG

That is gorgeous! Looks like an almost satin finish rather than a gloss finish? I love it. 

Also, I see that it has got the big high mass bridge like on the Excess models. When the new line of Passions and Arpeges were first launched back in 2009 or so, they all had monorail bridges, i.e. a tiny individual bridge for each string. My Arpege has monorail bridges. I much prefer the big single bridge though (trying to clean and getting rid of dust in between the monorail bridges is a pain!).  Wonder if that is now the standard Vigier bridge replacing the monorails?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thodrik said:

That is gorgeous! Looks like an almost satin finish rather than a gloss finish? I love it. 

Also, I see that it has got the big high mass bridge like on the Excess models. When the new line of Passions and Arpeges were first launched back in 2009 or so, they all had monorail bridges, i.e. a tiny individual bridge for each string. My Arpege has monorail bridges. I much prefer the big single bridge though (trying to clean and getting rid of dust in between the monorail bridges is a pain!).  Wonder if that is now the standard Vigier bridge replacing the monorails?

Hey,

Its a super high gloss finish. Didn't photograph very well. I spoke to Vigier before buying because I was confused. Does the current Passion have mono bridges or the one piece. Turns out the one piece bridge is the current one.

I would have preferred a parametric mid control, but saying that the tone is bloody marvelous. I even turn the treble almost all the way off to make it less hi-fi.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ped said:

Awesome!! I know you’ve been a big fan of Vigier for a while so I’m really pleased you’re now in possession of this one. Nice to have the proper case too - those are even harder to find than the basses!! I’d love to see some more pictures of it 🥰

Guessing this has the Preamp with sweepable parametric EQ, I have the original manual for it somewhere so will attach here when I find time. 

Cheers

ped

Thanks Ped.

I'd really appreciate a gander at that manual 👍... that's very kind of you. 

I've firmed up on the history a little: Mr Vigier himself confirmed that the case belonged to Alphonso Johnson and has "Been around the world a couple of times". 

As a long time Weather Report fan I'm super happy.

• Like 4

Absolutely stunning Vigier you

On 21/11/2019 at 23:34, White Cloud said:

Saw it on Gumtree going for a song, made a tentative enquiry ... bang, before you know it, its bought! You know how it is.

I'm now the proud owner of a stunning 5 string thru-neck (graphite/flamed maple laminate) Vigier Passion 3.  It arrived today after two days in transit (still in tune) and it's a beauty. According to the previous owner there is a connection to Alphonso Johnson (he has provenance via Patrice Vigier). 

I owned a Vigier Arpege (ex Hue & Cry) back in the 80's but had to sell it to pay bills ... suffice to say, I'm a happy camper.

$_58 (2).jpeg

Absolutely stunning. Crikey what a corker! That is an amazing find, may you get many years of pleasure playing this bass.

I remember going to the Bass Centre at Wapping in the very early Nineties and playing a few Vigiers. They were just about the best basses in the shop, to my taste anyway. I would have bought one there and then but I found the pickups to be a bit microphonic under my plucking fingers, according to my recollection.

May I ask what the string spacing is on these?

• Thanks 1