Why become a member? ×

NBD The Jabba has arrived

Chopthebass

I just took delivery of my Mayones Jabba 5 Classic. Not even taken it out of the case yet, as I am still at work designing roundabouts! First impression is the stunning finish! I opted for birdseye fingerboard, 3-band eq and 18mm spacing, which meant Delano pickups. Should play nice as they PLEK all their guitars. Impressed so far.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SirMoxie said:

It's beautiful!  Enjoy it!  Would love to hear how you think it compares to other J basses you've owned/played.

Hey SirM, Here are my comments comparing it to my Fender Elite 5..

The build quality of the Mayones is completely flawless. The shine and flatness of the lacquer is amazing. I can usually find fault with most finishes or build quality but not with this. Even the Elite has very small things that are noticeable. Like trying to get the battery cover off! I had to sand it slightly smaller once I eventually prised it out!

The Elite has a compound radius and also an asymmetric neck rear profile. It is very nice but I can't say it feels noticeably different to the Jabba. I wanted 18mm string spacing so it does feel a little slimmer than the Fender Elite.

The Jabba has better balance when standing. It has Hipshot Ultralights that probably help. The Elite is very slightly neck heavy. Although not in Warwick Thumb territory!.

Both the Jabba and Elite preamp balance controls don't do a good job of blending. You turn the knob from centre detent slightly, then you are on front or back pickup. They both have an active passive switch and passive tone. The Elite EQ is much more subtle than the Jabba. I opted for a 3-band Mayones preamp. You need to be gentle boosting the bass or mid. Very powerful.

The Jabba preamp sounds the same in active or passive when the controls are flat. No change in volume or tone. Not the case with the Elite. I do prefer the Elite's passive tone over its active tone. Just a shame you can't adjust gain to level it out.

The Jabba is PLEK'd as standard. Which explains why the action was super low. In fact too low for me. I had to raise it. I opted for birdseye maple fingerboard. I can't get the Elite as low without some buzz when digging in.

The Jabba is 24 fret and upper access is great. Also has a contoured heel to help.

I haven't gigged with it yet, but just playing at home through my Berg rig I am very please with the tone from the Delano large pole pickups.

The only downside with the Mayones was having to wait 10 months for it!!

I would be seriously tempted to sell the Elite and get another. There you go. Can you tell I like it? :)

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 08:51, owen said:

Is it bad that my first thought was that a bass made by @Jabba_the_gut had made it into the wild?

Don't get me wrong, it looks lush. 

Ha ha! Yes it is a crap name! God knows why they came up with that. Maybe in Poland it means something else! It is super lush though.

4 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

Ha ha! Yes it is a crap name! God knows why they came up with that. Maybe in Poland it means something else! It is super lush though.

I'm not 100% sure but I thought I remembered reading that it was named after a luthier who worked (or works) there with the last name Jabba.