Why become a member? ×

Peavey 700 tour or Hartke HA3500?

Samuel Burns

I have been playing only at home with a practise amp and at the practise studio with a PF-500 through an Ampeg 115. I decided to get my first rig, for maybe small gigs and to get my own tone in the practise room. Since it's my first, and I don't know how far I'm going to get with the band I'm currently in, I decided to go used in hope of to get good, cheap gear and if things go south I get to get back most of my money. I've narrowed my search down to the "Peavey 700 tour series" and the "Hartke HA3500". The Peavey is stronger, more robust while the Hartke comes with both a SS and a tube preamp but has less maximum output. Both have a bright band EQ and receive great reviews across many boards. Are there any pros and cons or any tips you could give me for each of these amps? Which would you recommend to a new starter like myself?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I have two (go figure..) Peavey Tour 700s.  Indestructible, not too heavy, not Class D and reliable. (500W into 8 Ohms  is useful)  Tone is good for what I want, I can get some 'valvey' grit / distortion (think Andy Fraser on the Free Live cd).  Graphic is good, the cosmos is a waste of time for me.  Where are you based?

Was going to offer to sell you my Tour 450, not the 700 but still packs a mighty punch. Played this one at an open air festival some time ago through my BFM Omni 10 (2x10 only one cab) and the sound guy had to ask me to turn it down because they couldn't hear the guitar player who was playing through a mic'd Marshall full stack :)

You don't know how proud that made me :) 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Samuel Burns said:

Just looked up the Weber Mywatt-a 200W is up for800€😲. Thank you for the offer btw.

£686 GBP - bargain compared to an original Hiwatt (which I had in my youth).  Hope you find the Tour 700 you are looking for.

Just broken my normal gigging amp so am back to my spare, Hartke HA3500. My goodness it's a good sounding amp and the tone control options are second to one, don't worry about the power either even into 8ohms it's way louder than I need to match the rest of the band. Mind you those Peaveys are good, I don't think you can go wrong here.

• 3 weeks later...

So I actually got a decent deal for the Tour 450 and a 410TVX for £250.The amp offers loads of different sounds, very present in the middle frequencies (found it very unpleasing), surprisingly quiet function I might add. Still messing with it, I'm having trouble having my Ray34 to sound like one through this amp.