Why become a member? ×

Light combo for on-stage monitoring below £300

Fiorenza2

I was wondering what sort of options were available so that the rhythm section can hear me better on stage?

In recordings the bass sounds great through a PA front of house, but on stage it tends to get lost (especially when the keyboardist has a low frequency patch). Furthermore, the foldbacks I've been using don't really provide the 'thump' that I'm accustomed to.

I was thinking a Fender Rumble 100 V3 would be a good option (+ tilt stand), but was also tempted by a used Markbass Minimark 801/602, since I've had very good experience playing through various different Markbass amps, and these are marginally smaller so more convenient.

Ideally I'd want something that's loud/thumpy enough to cut through on stage, but also light so I can walk in/out of gigs with it in hand.

Thanks!

• Like 1

It all depends on how loud/thumpy is 'enough' for you...but I use a Rumble 100 in the acoustic (guitar) trio with a drummer, and it's enough when I tilt it back for me to hear myself onstage, although I'm looking to fit an Eminence Beta 12 to give it a little more. It's certainly light and convenient enough...

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

Sorry, but you're only allowed to pick two out of three...

Which is the least important?

I'd say the price in this case? 😁

44 minutes ago, Muzz said:

It all depends on how loud/thumpy is 'enough' for you...but I use a Rumble 100 in the acoustic (guitar) trio with a drummer, and it's enough when I tilt it back for me to hear myself onstage, although I'm looking to fit an Eminence Beta 12 to give it a little more. It's certainly light and convenient enough...

Fair, I'd like to stress it's really just for monitoring, so even if it's a bit nasty sounding at higher settings, FoH won't hear it since they'll be getting full on PA. The biggest band I'm in is an 8 piece with a horn section, but I figure if I place it near myself and the drummer at least we'll be able to hear it? Appreciate ideally everyone in the band should hear me loud and clear, but being honest it's not exactly pro-level gigging here...

To give an idea of the current situation, if the keyboardist is playing a bass-heavy patch through foldback I basically can't hear myself. If an amp can get me into a situation where I can resolve which notes I'm on then I'd count that as a win.

In the past I've used a Markbass Traveller 102P which was more than adequate, but that was a one-off.

Edited by Fiorenza2

I tried out the new Ashdown Studio 12 combo recently.  Was impressed with its sound, and it was certainly light..great all rounder, especially if you can DI into the PA. Was going for £299 but wouldn’t be surprised if it could be found for a bit less 😎

• Thanks 1

Might not be light, but you'll get a loud and well built trace elliott combo for under £300 that will be awesome - except the weight!!

Have you thought about a class D head and single 12" neo cab? - granted - you're not going to get one for under £300.

Maybe look for a used Trace ELF head and a Barefaced Midget or something. - more like £500 or so used though.

Maybe a TC combo?

Thanks everyone for your responses! It feels to me that a single 100W amp should be sufficient to make myself audible on stage as long as I tilt it. I actually practice with a pretty lousy 300W amp by Behringer (so probably really much less) and even that's way too loud for a 7 piece with horns (nothing volume-wise is past 12 o'clock), so I imagine 100W is plenty just for on stage monitoring.

As some have highlighed, a few different brands have entered the sub £300 lightweight amp market (i.e., Ashdown, Fender, Hartke, etc.) so I'll shop around and pick the one with the tone that works for me.

I really think 300w minimum as a rough guide.

I'd genuinely get an ashdown abm combo for second hand money and put wheels on it. Failing that splash a tiny bit more and a rumble 300 v3.

As others have said, you'll be lucky to get loud and light for £300.

Sounds to me like your keys player is drowning you out on stage. Work together to find frequencies you can both be heard in. Failing that, roll your bass back and add in mids.

One of the TC Bg250 combos would be right on the money. 

250w so plenty loud enough, a range of speaker sizes to choose from depending how compact you want it to be, very lightweight, comfortably under budget new but well under half your budget used. 

Edited by Painy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Fiorenza2 said:

Thanks everyone for your responses! It feels to me that a single 100W amp should be sufficient to make myself audible on stage as long as I tilt it. I actually practice with a pretty lousy 300W amp by Behringer (so probably really much less) and even that's way too loud for a 7 piece with horns (nothing volume-wise is past 12 o'clock), so I imagine 100W is plenty just for on stage monitoring.

As some have highlighed, a few different brands have entered the sub £300 lightweight amp market (i.e., Ashdown, Fender, Hartke, etc.) so I'll shop around and pick the one with the tone that works for me.

Have you tried the Behringer on stage? Some of their amps are quite good if you take the power ratings with a pinch of salt.

• Like 2

Peavey max 112. 300 watts, 18kg very loud £280, I bought a rumble 100 and the Peavey to A B them and the rumble went back. Nothing wrong with the Rumble, but the Peavey beat it hands down in every department, the only thing the rumble has over it is a send return, but the newer Peavey has that now. 

Great sound on its own as well the Peavey but I mainly run it pretty clean with my stomp but not it. 

Its right price right watts (loud) cannot recommend it enough. 

• Like 1

I mustard mit I scored, for £50 on FB, a Studiomaster powered monitor / pa top. 

It's literally all you need. But Stew I hear you cry, can it possibly be loud enough? Well, I gigged with it as backline in a large pub, playing with a 7 piece. So yes. 41gOn9CaP5L._AC_SY400_.jpg.3d96401812bb1326fc30dd2bd9d9bb18.jpg

As others have said deep bass isn't helpful on stage especially if the keys are down there too. It's clear mids you'll hear. 

Edited by stewblack

16 hours ago, Painy said:

250w so plenty loud enough, a range of speaker sizes to choose from depending how compact you want it to be, very lightweight, comfortably under budget new but well under half your budget used. 

This, I'm well impressed with mine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Have you tried the Behringer on stage? Some of their amps are quite good if you take the power ratings with a pinch of salt.

So honestly I would, since it keeps up well enough in rehearsals (hence my relative confidence in less than 300W of power), but it's a deceptively heavy beasty, and kind of belongs to the practice room.

On 22/11/2019 at 22:43, Painy said:

8 hours ago, BreadBin said:

This, I'm well impressed with mine.

From what I gather one could also go with a TC Electronic BAM200 + BG208? Pricewise going with this Head + Cab seems similar/cheaper (less power though), plus there's an added benefit of being able to shove the head in my gig bag, which makes the load on the hands even lighter.

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

41gOn9CaP5L._AC_SY400_.jpg.3d96401812bb1326fc30dd2bd9d9bb18.jpg

As others have said deep bass isn't helpful on stage especially if the keys are down there too. It's clear mids you'll hear. 

How many watts would you say is needed in this case; 150W?

Edited by Fiorenza2

Reading through this I think a PA monitor could be right for you too this would be my pick at £300 https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_312_a_mk_iv.htm#bewertung

Having said that I've used a really old Hartke kickback 10 for this purpose, you have to filter out a little bass with the tone controls but I found it perfectly adequate.

Edited by Phil Starr

Played 2 consecutive gigs with the Rumble 100 for onstage monitoring with the trio. It was plenty loud enough. 100w is fine for monitoring if you position it well and the band isn't too loud onstage. I was right next to the drummer on a tight stage, tilted it back to point and my head, all good.

• Like 1