Why become a member? ×

Death of the big cab?

BaggyMan

I had a 4x10 Trace combo I bought from the bass centre in Wapping in the early 80s. Sounded great, but it was damned heavy. I lived on the third floor of a house converted into flats in Acton, and there was no lift. Every gig and rehearsal meant carrying the damn thing down the stairs and, even worse, carrying it back up afterwards!

11 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I had a 4x10 Trace combo I bought from the bass centre in Wapping in the early 80s. Sounded great, but it was damned heavy. I lived on the third floor of a house converted into flats in Acton, and there was no lift. Every gig and rehearsal meant carrying the damn thing down the stairs and, even worse, carrying it back up afterwards!

Before my back went I used to carry my Trace 4x10 one-handed. I could do 2/3 of a single arm curl with it.

I used my quilter with an svt 8x10 cab last night.

Those cabs are fantastic. Soft, cushiony feel and fit lovely in the mix. I genuinely think a lot of the ampeg svt magic is in those cabs, not just the amp heads.

I'd never have one though. As much as I'd love one. Far too heavy and impractical. x2 4x10s make much more sense if you need a full stack, and even then that's only for massive outdoor gigs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I used my quilter with an svt 8x10 cab last night.

Those cabs are fantastic. Soft, cushiony feel and fit lovely in the mix. I genuinely think a lot of the ampeg svt magic is in those cabs, not just the amp heads.

I'd never have one though. As much as I'd love one. Far too heavy and impractical. x2 4x10s make much more sense if you need a full stack, and even then that's only for massive outdoor gigs.

But in order for anyone else to get the benefit of this "magic" the cabs need to be mic'd up rather than the bass DI'd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

But in order for anyone else to get the benefit of this "magic" the cabs need to be mic'd up rather than the bass DI'd.

But nobody mics up the cab... they usually mic up a single driver... which doesn't capture the sound of the cab anyway. In a band situation, if you want to capture the sound of the "cab", you are likely to have completely unmanageable bleed.

If you want the sound of cab out front, as you know... modeller. Takes the studio sound of the cab on the road with you. Perfect.

• Like 1

Oddly enough most PA's i've played thru have a nice warm deep bass tone no matter what amp (D.I.'d) i've been using. My Mesa seemingly more so but that might just be my wishful thinking :D. The difference for me is on stage sound. I like to hear that same warm tone on stage. My Mesa seems to give me that. When i've played smaller gigs with just vocal PA my Mesa seems to fill the room better with its warmth and depth. 

To be fair tho i've never played thru a decent monitor system where i couldn't hear my own bass amp.

Dave

12 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Quite surprised - are you doing an A/B test? Or is a perceived sound in your head that you're looking for?

I've A/B them at playing level through ok PA - Mackie etc and to me the emulators seem more harsh and modern.

I've used them on recording at low levels and they do sound great there.

I know the emulators are in fact just more complex eq patches, but I feel it's just missing something.

If anyone has a good svt 8x10 IR let me know.