Why become a member? ×

Death of the big cab?

BaggyMan

On 21/11/2019 at 14:50, BaggyMan said:

Hmm, just bought a 4 * 8 ashdown on a whim.  small but bloody hell its a heavy li'l dude.

I had one of those (if it's the mini 4x8). I thought it would be light and easy to move. It was like lifting 10 tonnes of lead.

7 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've heard plenty of stage monitors that can out perform a typical bass rig, it's not that they aren't out there it's knowing if there is going to be one at your gig or not.

That's a good point. At least with your own kit you know it's going to be there!

What stage monitors have you found that match up to a quality bass cab (BF, VK, Berg, Fearless etc)? 

• Like 1

I think EV do a professional range that I've used a few times but there are others, D&B monitors cost around £6k each , you'll need a tasty rig to get close to those!

Like most setups is more about how it's used imo, if the whole band are using wedges up front then you aren't trying to make your wedges fight the guitarist's Marshall stack pointing at your ear holes! 

24 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I think EV do a professional range that I've used a few times but there are others, D&B monitors cost around £6k each , you'll need a tasty rig to get close to those!

Like most setups is more about how it's used imo, if the whole band are using wedges up front then you aren't trying to make your wedges fight the guitarist's Marshall stack pointing at your ear holes! 

£6k for a monitor that matches a quality bass rig!! 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

A quality 1x12 or 2x10 works just fine for this and will also cover smaller (e.g. pub) gigs

Complete and utter balderdash!!..†

If you really have to, and I mean ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, compromise on an 8x10 for the local pub gig, then I'm afraid the only other options are either a 6x10 or at a push... maybe... a 4x10 (check out my Bergantino AE410 for sale in the Marketplace forum of this very site :i-m_so_happy: , suitable for all pub gigs ESPECIALLY the tiny ones with an acoustic guitarist on lead)*

† (Not at all “balderdash")

* My opinions and views should not be taken likely, any and all comments made under the title of “Ted Theodore Logan, III" should be completely ignored and dismissed instantaneously.  I hold no responsibility for any consequence(s) that may arise from heeding my advice.

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
because he can!..
  • Haha 1

I'm seriously considering selling my Barefaced Super Twin ((#001) as I rarely use it now, and when I do, I always realise that my Super Compact would have done the job with less lifting in and out of cars. etc. To be fair, this comes from the perspective of having a major (right) hand injury 4 years ago.

But as Mr B.R. Cross says, any gig where you need the acreage of speakers that an 8x10 offers is likely to be DI'd anyway. We played three nights in Germany in June and I was not able to take my rig, just made do with whatever the combo was that the organisers offered. Couldn't tell the difference, the backline is simply there to keep me & the drummers happy, plenty of bass through the monitors and the soundman doesn't want the backline interfering with the FoH mix.

My currently most-used rig is an Ashdown Rootmaster 800 and Barefaced Super Compact, I can carry both and a bass at the same time with ease. 

Anyone want the first Super Twin off the line? Please form a queue….

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

I love an 8x10, but the reality is i never really run them hard. If i do, i cant hear the drummer. So it renders the whole thing a bit pointless.

Only time I've ran an 8x10 hard has been at big festivals on large stages outdoors when we dont get anywhere near a sound check or chance to amend anything.

My lightweight 4x10 is all I'll ever need from now on.

3 hours ago, owen said:

D&B are the bomb. 

Pretty amazing, aren't they? The place where I work has an all D&B system (which was installed for the Olympics). I reckon it must have cost around £500k. There are a dozen or so subs under the seating and 50+ top boxes hung from the ceiling, all driven by D&B and Powersoft amps. Sounds fabulous when we play music through it. I run a Fohhn PA (also German made and approaching D&B stuff in price). I once combined my two Fohhn powered subs with my Phil Jones cabs and AG700. Made a stonking bass rig.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

Bass started off with no amps at all for a good few hundred years, briefly moved to small amps for a few years and then big amps emerged for the lucky few who could afford roadies. That time passed and we are now back to small amps and the future looks like we're heading to no amps again.

We've gone full circle and when the apocalypse happens and electricity gives out double basses will be king again. The guys who held on to their 810 cabs will be laughing, at least they'll have somewhere to live.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

And acoustic guitar amp, electric amps, keyboard amp, vocals, backing vocals, horn section, percussion, mandolin etc etc etc....

They're not something you'd have for the dog and gun.

We're fortunate to use M2/4 quite a bit. They're fantastic. Used L'acoustics a bit over summer too, not sure which model, but they were very nice. I'll take them over an 8x10.

Edited by M@23
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Depends what you call a quality bass rig.

Price up the Meyer rigs of Gordo, Anthony Jackson, Lesh... and Stings Clair Bros rig...

Defn - from the krap-Krow book of bass, and trying to keep it relevant:

A quality bass rig = one that a competent BCer on the Clapham pub circuit would consider to be something that he or she would be happy to use in a band mix for gigging. 

In my case (not making any particular assertions on my level of competency!) I could easily put together such a rig for a fraction of £6,000.

I suspect most of us could. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My combo cost me £130 S/H and one was good enough to make Mark King's reputation... I'd count it as 'quality' 🙂

Remind me again - which is the combo that he didn’t DI to send to front of house? Or use in the studio with a whole host of post processing?

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My combo cost me £130 S/H and one was good enough to make Mark King's reputation... I'd count it as 'quality' 🙂

If you're talking about trace elliot, MK was using four 4x10s on stage. Not quite what I'd call combo.