Why become a member? ×

GAS Dilemma - Semi's

Skybone

Don't ask me why, but I've been hankering after a Semi for some time, but which one?

I really like the look of the Warwick Star Bass, classic looks but still relatively modern, single coils, passive, ticks a lot of boxes. Unfortunately, not cheap.

The Chowny CHB2 is another contender, long scale, but comes with humbuckers.

The Italia Rimini... Love the look of the Rimini, unfortunately don't seem to come up very often.

There's a Gear4Music semi that's el cheapo, looks like the Star, anyone got any experience of that?

What else is out there that's worth looking at?

My semi history is  in 1976 (first bass) a 1962 Gibson EB2 which I sold after a  couple of years as it was not cool!

Then a 2016 Korean Warwick Star Bass 5 in Gold Sparkle, also sold, as not cool for an Americana band!

Earlier this year got this, a long scale Chowny and now sold on.

P1050089.thumb.JPG.bf24b27997521e4ba5dd918d2979f64b.JPG

Finally got this a couple of weeks ago!

0DC7048E-244F-4CB6-9CF5-CEEF57A69740.thumb.jpeg.6d0e7487a6abddbd4f93b888c61523ae.jpeg.3baf6a3c029c7b9563df9f2904adbd9b.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roger said:

Short scale? If that’s ok check out Duesenberg, love mine

896AD175-6DC7-4C4B-AD8E-AF1BBA5CD429.jpeg

How heavy are these, please?  I looked on the DB website and they tell you pretty much everything other than the weight.  There is a small part of me that is whispering to the rest that the croc finish is a must have :swoon:

I suppose it also depends whether you want full semi or semi semi O.o, by that I mean hollow or a solid centre block. My semi's, Yamaha Bex4 has a centre block and is a great bass, Hofner Club bass is properly hollow and also great, but very different sounding. I really fancy giving an Epiphone Jack Casady a whirl but I have my Faker 4005 which is similar. 

If your after shortscale then guild starfire, Hofner Verithin or on the long scale front seems to be some really nice Warwicks the star as mentioned or the infinity. Someone on here had a semi streamer that looked really interesting.

Here are mine anyway 

20191121_191420.jpg

20191121_191451.jpg

4 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Must admit I've only ever played a long scale, so shorty's don't really appeal, medium's could work, but I think I'd need to try one first, but long scale is my preference (as are single coils).

More research required I think!

I tried the Guild a couple of years back and really didn't feel any major difference with the short scale. But then I might just be plain weird!

15 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Must admit I've only ever played a long scale, so shorty's don't really appeal, medium's could work, but I think I'd need to try one first, but long scale is my preference (as are single coils).

One thing on your typical hollow body to watch out for is balance/neck dive, due to the lack of upper horn (so the strap pin ends up in a non-optimal place), and the longer neck (because of the saddle position compared to a solid-body bass).  Obviously the last point is more pronounced on a long-scale instrument.

22 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Nobody's mentioned the Spectorcore hollow body. What you're after with a modern look..

Image result for Spectorcore

Plus 1 for the Spectorcore and it comes in 5 string version. However if you want more conventional shape at a reasonable price Ibanez AGB or the Dean. Then there’s the Hagstrom or the Epiphone Jack Cassidy or Rumblecat and finally the Gibson Midtown - long scale version of the EB2, currently 2 on eBay under £700!  If you can find one the BaCH was very good, shouldn’t have sold mine.

077D3370-F4B3-427D-8378-57D607D546F2.jpeg

9061693E-91C9-4DC2-B2F9-D13D0E0E747D.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Epiphone Jack Casady FTW. I'm about to acquire my third (paying it up in January). Stupidly sold my first one when I was buying/trying lots of different basses, sold the second one for financial reasons. I regret selling both, but that pain is dulled by the fact that the one I will receive next month is the 20th Anniversary special edition. 

What can I say about the bass? Long scale, great core sound, flexibility with the impedance selector, looks fantastic in any of the finishes, is well put together, is a true signature bass (in that Jack Casady uses the very same product live that you or I can buy in a shop, "no ringers" as the man himself has said), light because of the mostly hollow body, can have fun with feedback if you want to because of that.

Downsides? The bridge is the admittedly sucky Gibson 3 point bridge. I love my Gibsons but there's no love here for that bridge. 

Well, no bass is perfect, right? ;) But this is one bass I keep coming back to. 

4 hours ago, Meddle said:

Used Rockbass Star Bass might be a good option. I love hollow basses but there is a fine tipping point between having a modem sounding hollow bass with modern features, and having a hollow bass with too many period quirks.

The pickups tend to be a point of weakness, both in location and design. Many hollow basses have one pickup at the neck and another at the bridge. This limits them sonically.

A used W RB Star would be fantastic, but they're a bit like rocking horse do-do. Ideal body shape, twin pickups, etc.

The G4M looks like a bit of a Star, long scale, and importantly, won't break the bank. It could potentially be upgraded with Warwick pickups & decent pots etc. too.

I accept the pickup "problem", however, my main bass has a similar "issue" (see avatar), and it's far from sonically limited. :D 

On 21/11/2019 at 15:08, Paul S said:

How heavy are these, please?  I looked on the DB website and they tell you pretty much everything other than the weight.  There is a small part of me that is whispering to the rest that the croc finish is a must have :swoon:

Mine is 3.8 Kg or a shade under 8.5 lb.

• Thanks 1

Noticed someone mention the GIbson Midtown - just as an FYI it's not really a semi-hollow in the strictest sense - it's a solid chambered body with a solid top, more like weight saving than a true semi-hollow in terms of construction (as in separate formed sides, back and top with/without centre block).  I had one, it was OK but I didn't gel with it and sold it on.

Mind you, if the Spectorcore is in the mix (which I have had a go on and was very impressed with the sound, particularly from the piezo) then I guess this distinction is moot, as it'll be the same construction type.

/pedantic geek mode off/