Why become a member? ×

Pub gigs and setup

Skinnyman

12 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

The guitarist plays through a Headrush which is DI'd to the PA and panned to whichever side he's stood.

Headrush is fine but there's no point whatsoever in panning to one side or other. Stereo for live sound is complete waste of time with a pub band PA. Middle everything.

For pub work the wisdom in this thread lies in the three words mentioned above - keep it simple. 

No one has given bad advice but the quicker you can be in and set up, then packed down and out the better.

You need a simple rig which you know inside out, which can handle that unexpectedly huge pub but will still squeeze into the postage stamp sized corner space in the snug. 

A DI out whether from amp or pedal to the desk is a great idea,  quick easy and no special kit needed. Eq it so the mids are prominent FOH, no need for a sub that way, then hope that guitarist has discipline not to turn up throughout the evening. 

the last part is always out of our hands whatever we do. 

• Like 1

Well the simplest way to do it is a decent PA with subs and the band using in ears. No amps bleeding into drum or vocal mics, total control to whoever is running the desk, everybody can hear when they need to and the audience get the best full range sound possible. Literally takes two cables per band member.

13 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Well the simplest way to do it is a decent PA with subs and the band using in ears. No amps bleeding into drum or vocal mics, total control to whoever is running the desk, everybody can hear when they need to and the audience get the best full range sound possible. Literally takes two cables per band member.

Not if you have none of the necessary gear nor a sound man! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stewblack said:

We don't have a dedicated sound engineer although our guitarist is very good at it (he engineers for other bands). It's pretty set and forget really, if you want to hear yourself more you can turn yourself up in your monitor mix rather than turning your amp up so the FoH doesn't really change much. The Behringer X18 is £320 and my in ear setup cost £55, having a scout on eBay you cab grab an RCF sub for around £300. The standard of gear available for a cripplingly low budget is crazy high. For weddings we used to hire a PA and engineer but setting up and getting everything sounding great is so quick and easy now we don't bother, more money for us and the gear has paid for itself.

On gig nights I walk out of my front door carrying just a single gigbag, it's brilliant!

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

Don't need these with the previous page mentioned Bose L1 system and it's working more than well. 😉

One system for all band including a PA that is also the returns. What you hear is what your audience ear. Easy, no ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

Me too!

Then I get to the venue & realise that I've forgotten everything!

:D

Our mandolin player arrived from Oxford at a gig in London... without his mandolin. 

Years ago he was my guitarist and turned up at a gig in Bristol... without his guitar. 

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Our mandolin player arrived from Oxford at a gig in London... without his mandolin. 

Years ago he was my guitarist and turned up at a gig in Bristol... without his guitar. 

Ha! :D

*I've yet to actually forget anything for a gig

smiley

'Cos I is organised, innit!

24 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Clearly not! :P

You'll remember this conversation at your next gig when you realise that you've lost something vital.....

....most likely your marbles but might equally well be a strap or a lead.

But probably the marbles.

Again.

:on_the_quiet:

• Haha 2

On 21/11/2019 at 09:38, Skinnyman said:

Like many others on here, I'm a weekend warrior playing mainly pub gigs.

In addition to the drummer and singer there's just me and a guitarist.

The guitarist plays through a Headrush which is DI'd to the PA and panned to whichever side he's stood.

He has an FRFR speaker which he uses as a personal monitor.

In previous band I've always been part of a backline with two guitarists so amps and cabs have always been put towards the back of the 'stage' area, behind or in line with the drummer.

But with this band there's effectively no backline so inorder to get a decent sound that balances effectively with the guitar and drums, do I.....

1) set up along side the drummer as usual?

2) DI through the PA and have a small monitor in front of me? (bear in mind we don't have any subs and would rather avoid the expense if possible)

3) as an alternative to the DI above, just put my cab alongside one of the FOH speakers on the opposite side to the guitarist and, again, have a monitor in front of me?

4) try some other arrangement that i haven't yet thought of?

I've got a pair of Berg CN112s or a couple of BF One10s with sufficient amps and impedance flexibility to run any combination of them.

Again, this is small pub gigs which will either see us stuck away in a cramped corner or given half the dining area.

Any thoughts on how best to set up?

Option # 5)

Set up your amp at the far end of the venue car park  - run a cable to the stage area near the PA - but, and this is vital - don't plug it in.

Back at your amp - don't worry about power etc.  - you don't need it.

Unpack your 'bass' (Rickenbacker), and tune up normally, but don't connect to your amp.

Begin gig.

The onstage sound will now be vastly improved, and the equipment being used by your guitarist is no-longer an issue.

I really surprise myself at my own genius sometimes! :o

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

For room problems, there's the Room Perfect system by Lyngdorf.

Got this integrated in my hi-fi Lyngdorf amplifier, because I want to have a high-fidelity restitution. The system is working flawlessly and literally removes the room of the equation making your system sounding totally neutral. I bought this amp 6 or 7 years ago when I still was in an audiophile (and sometimes an idiophile) and it cured my hi-fi gas definitely.

This Room Perfect is partly integrated in the KRK Ergo, so at least the PA will sound right and your audience will have an extraordinary sound.

There's a new one there and they appear from time to time in the ads https://yourmusiconline.it/it/krk-ergo

Or buy the standalone Lyngdorf RP-1 which is way far better : https://www.hifishark.com/model/lyngdorf-rp-1

They are using similar systems in all decent venues to correct the room.

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

For room problems, there's the Room Perfect system by Lyngdorf.

Got this integrated in my hi-fi Lyngdorf amplifier, because I want to have a high-fidelity restitution. The system is working flawlessly and literally removes the room of the equation making your system sounding totally neutral. I bought this amp 6 or 7 years ago when I still was in an audiophile (and sometimes an idiophile) and it cured my hi-fi gas definitely.

This Room Perfect is partly integrated in the KRK Ergo, so at least the PA will sound right and your audience will have an extraordinary sound.

There's a new one there and they appear from time to time in the ads https://yourmusiconline.it/it/krk-ergo

Or buy the standalone Lyngdorf RP-1 which is way far better : https://www.hifishark.com/model/lyngdorf-rp-1

They are using similar systems in all decent venues to correct the room.

I may be missing something, but what does this have to do with PA at pub gigs?