Why become a member? ×

Bass "Showcase" songs

xgsjx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGNR-gv0sRI

"Do I Do" is a great song and the bass part is quite tricky with a mix of groove section, syncopated line with the horns, and some exposed improvisation.  Even Nathan Watts can't play it perfectly!  (Very very very slight trip-up around 0:49)

Edited by jrixn1

47 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

I've never been asked either.  But if a band asked you to give them a song to learn that would put your bass playing skills to the test, what would it be?  Forget whether it's a function band or covers, that was really irrelevant to the question.

Another that's good fun to play & sounds great too is 24K Magic (the Bruno Mars song).

When i was younger i used to enjoy doing Roundabout by Yes while waiting on drummers setting up.

Fool For Your Loving by Whitesnake or Neon Nights by Sabbath were others i'd pick the good bass parts from and do snippets from them while setting up.

I'd go with Roundabout as i play finger style it seemed to impress people that i managed to get that Ric click sound from a Jazz bass. (I used my finger nails to catch the strings)

Think that's the best i have to offer.

Dave

41 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

When i was younger i used to enjoy doing Roundabout by Yes while waiting on drummers setting up.

Fool For Your Loving by Whitesnake or Neon Nights by Sabbath were others i'd pick the good bass parts from and do snippets from them while setting up.

I'd go with Roundabout as i play finger style it seemed to impress people that i managed to get that Ric click sound from a Jazz bass. (I used my finger nails to catch the strings)

Think that's the best i have to offer.

Dave

Playing that, finger style is pretty impressive. 

• Like 1