Why become a member? ×

Bass "Showcase" songs

xgsjx

I follow a couple of Facebook "Musicians Wanted" groups.  Not that I'm in a position to join a band just now, but hopefully in the future I shall.

Something I have seen for function/covers bands (& even some originals) it to learn a couple of their songs & also a song that shows what you can play on bass.

Got me thinking to what's good to learn as a showcase song.

It used to be "Shy Boy" (the Billy Sheehan song) for me, but it's been a good few years since I've played that one.  Now it's possibly Wynonna's Big Brown Beaver (Primus) or Hit Me (Blockheads).

So...  What's Your "showcase" song?

If somebody was joining a function band of mine, I would be more impressed with a show reel of I dunno, 40 clips of function fodder, than some epic display of fire that may have taken months/years to learn. I would need to know that somebody can be told about a first dance the day before a gig and turn up and I've got enough confidence for them to nail it first time through.

The best function players aren't necessarily the ones with the chops - it's the ones that are reliable and have repertoire under their belts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

If somebody was joining a function band of mine, I would be more impressed with a show reel of I dunno, 40 clips of function fodder, than some epic display of fire that may have taken months/years to learn. I would need to know that somebody can be told about a first dance the day before a gig and turn up and I've got enough confidence for them to nail it first time through.

The best function players aren't necessarily the ones with the chops - it's the ones that are reliable and have repertoire under their belts.

^This

Truth. 

Being able to change key of a song you already know is also invaluable. Especially if you want to dep, knowing the numbers system is more helpful than being able to tap like mad! 

But, yeah, Hit Me I guess, or a Level 42 tune. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacko said:

To answer the OP's actual question (and not offer loads of undoubtedly 'good' advice), Mine would be Dune Tune. 

And you probably wouldn't get the gig along with m@23 - because the first thing I would think of (and other potential band leaders) is... ah Level 42 fan. How long til this guy starts busting out inappropriate slap chops over function fodder?

Edited by EBS_freak

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Been a while, but:

Colorado Bulldog - Mr Big / Sheehan

The Real Me - (The Who) but the WASP version with Johnny Rod on bass is better. Yeah, I said it!!!

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder / Nate Watts.

Sir Duke is a good call. Standard function fodder. Who plays Colorado Bulldog or the The Real Me in the function world?

Audition for the band you are trying to be in rather than the band you dream to be in.

In the originals world, I would look at their influences and tailor a piece to something of that genre. If you are trying to be in an Indie band, are then interested in your inappropriate 6 string bass... or your slap chops?

If you are going for a Dirty Loops cover band, than yeah, start learning some Snarky Puppy covers, or get some Level 42 down by all means. But ego tends to not get you hired.

Edited by EBS_freak

36 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Sir Duke is a good call. Standard function fodder. Who plays Colorado Bulldog or the The Real Me in the function world?

Audition for the band you are trying to be in rather than the band you dream to be in.

In the originals world, I would look at their influences and tailor a piece to something of that genre. If you are trying to be in an Indie band, are then interested in your inappropriate 6 string bass... or your slap chops?

If you are going for a Dirty Loops cover band, than yeah, start learning some Snarky Puppy covers, or get some Level 42 down by all means. But ego tends to not get you hired.

I agree with all of that. But you can't be accused of having an ego if you get asked something "play something to show us you can play", then play something you wouldn't do over an Ed Sheeran tune. But, I wouldn't go to an audition that asked that of me anyway! I'd never ask it either, as an band leader. It probably shows that they don't know how to assess the things that actually matter. Or, they dish out loads of solos; and bass/drum solos on function gigs are cringe, but that's probably an argument for another day 😂

Edited by M@23
  • Like 1

And you probably wouldn't get the gig along with m@23 - because the first thing I would think of (and other potential band leaders) is... ah Level 42 fan. How long til this guy starts busting out inappropriate slap chops over function fodder?

Which is fair enough - I don't want a gig in a function band thank you very much BUT the OP asked what our bass showcase songs were

" & also a song that shows what you can play on bass."

• Like 3

Granted this is true. I guess the real point is, a showcase song should be one in that is keeping with the band you are applying for. If somebody gets a gig in a Beatles tribute or and Indie originals band due to their show piece being blistering slap chops, I'd say it's more a reflection of poor decision making by the band rather than the player (who should have been playing something more appropriate anyway).

The first few posts make a very good point & one which I totally agree with.  I’m not joining any kind of band just now, I was just giving reference as to how I thought of this.

The thread’s just for a bit of fun, what’s your song that shows your skills off.

A showreel should be relevant to the genre/act that you’re trying to impress, even if that is well below your level of ability.  I dare say Cliff Williams is capable of much much more than he ever played in AC/DC but he played the role required.  The same should be true for all of us - playing what is wanted/needed and not overplaying things.  

6 hours ago, xgsjx said:

I follow a couple of Facebook "Musicians Wanted" groups.  Not that I'm in a position to join a band just now, but hopefully in the future I shall.

Something I have seen for function/covers bands (& even some originals) it to learn a couple of their songs & also a song that shows what you can play on bass.

Got me thinking to what's good to learn as a showcase song.

It used to be "Shy Boy" (the Billy Sheehan song) for me, but it's been a good few years since I've played that one.  Now it's possibly Wynonna's Big Brown Beaver (Primus) or Hit Me (Blockheads).

So...  What's Your "showcase" song?

Mine's either “One Note Song" by “Tenacious D" or The “Stu Hamm" solo heralded as “The Greatest Bass Solo Ever"... 

Both seem to work, I never get shows... 😒

• Haha 1

If by 'Showcase' you mean what I'll play in a soundcheck for the FOC engineer (was any bass player really ever hired by being able to play solo pieces?), it's normally a rip off of Tower of Power's Squib Cakes, or Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally Through The Alley. If I'm feeling proggy, Spirit of Radio wins the day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

When the bridesmaids start getting off with the guests and there's a bit of pushing and shoving at the food table - then a function band can play whatever they like! :D 

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

When the bridesmaids start getting off with the guests and there's a bit of pushing and shoving at the food table - then a function band can play whatever they like! :D 

It's the band getting off with the bridesmaids... if you're doing it properly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never been asked to play that kind of song for an audition. Its always been from the bands set list. Usually they pick 3-4 songs and ask me to select one from their set.

I don't actually have a song that i show off with.

I've always been able to play any song i've been asked. Some easy and some took a couple of days to get spot on to my satisfaction.

I guess i'd lose that job then :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

I've never been asked either.  But if a band asked you to give them a song to learn that would put your bass playing skills to the test, what would it be?  Forget whether it's a function band or covers, that was really irrelevant to the question.

Another that's good fun to play & sounds great too is 24K Magic (the Bruno Mars song).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

I've never been asked either.  But if a band asked you to give them a song to learn that would put your bass playing skills to the test, what would it be?  Forget whether it's a function band or covers, that was really irrelevant to the question.

Another that's good fun to play & sounds great too is 24K Magic (the Bruno Mars song).

Bruno Mars?!...

Insert “Vampire reeling at a cross noise"