Why become a member? ×

NBD x2. Tony Franklin and SR5 join the pack

Old Horse Murphy

Well, this year has been a pretty rough one for us but I’m delighted to say that things have turned a corner over the last week. I’m looking forward to ringing 2020 in though!

Anyway, the upturn in fortune compelled me to celebrate in style by getting rid of a few of my guitars and a nice valve combo that wasn’t being used and to reinvest in my main squeeze; the bass. 

Joining my trusty faithful P Bass and my recently acquired Jazz, I picked up a new Tony Franklin Fretless and a Music Man SR5. I really feel I now have every eventuality covered with these four which is a good thing as I planned on having a dry 2020 when it comes to musical gear! We’ll see....

7771C4E1-A38E-4777-BCF7-9F3AE1A260C2.jpeg

DF4120F0-6894-42A4-954C-634EC4908520.jpeg

8F328DC2-0BF9-46BA-B311-EECB4914297E.jpeg

E4E452FC-2489-4FE8-B354-CD956AF96C2B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Bollocks to the basses - that bari sax is lovely!

Thanks. It’s a P Mauriat and is the best blowing Baritone I’ve ever played.

The Sop is a Mauriat too and the Tenor is a Yanagisawa. I used to play Alto a few years ago but I could never get it to sound right to my ears. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear things have not been great, hope everything is ok now.

Lovely looking basses and the Tony Franklin is lovely. I came so close to buying one after playing the last one you had but I ended up going down two different roads for my fretless basses.

The body of the natural Jazz looks huge, is it just a standard Jazz?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Thanks. It’s a P Mauriat and is the best blowing Baritone I’ve ever played.

The Sop is a Mauriat too and the Tenor is a Yanagisawa. I used to play Alto a few years ago but I could never get it to sound right to my ears. 

I used to play alto, then a few years ago my youngest spawn started to play, so now I have one in the house again and I'm surprised how much I remember.

She is better than me though! :D 

• Haha 1

Glad to hear things have turned a corner Nick. I've got a hankering for a Stingray 5, yours looks a beaut. Funny, recently I was reminiscing about my old sunburst US Std P bass you bought a few years back... Wondering where it ended up. 

On 22/11/2019 at 16:58, fretmeister said:

I used to play alto, then a few years ago my youngest spawn started to play, so now I have one in the house again and I'm surprised how much I remember.

She is better than me though! :D 

I gave up for a number of years as I was playing lots of Rugby and Rugby and Sax playing don't mix! I was surprised too how much I'd remembered and actually, how much more comfortable I felt with playing again compared to when I was younger. 

• Like 1

On 24/11/2019 at 00:58, mr zed said:

I would love to own a Tony Franklin. Everything about them is just right!

I would heartily recommend getting one. Probably the best passive fretless I've ever laid hands on.

And of course, the OP has made the correct choice by getting the black one. (Congratulations on your tasteful purchase, sir!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2019 at 13:17, Linus27 said:

Sorry to hear things have not been great, hope everything is ok now.

Lovely looking basses and the Tony Franklin is lovely. I came so close to buying one after playing the last one you had but I ended up going down two different roads for my fretless basses.

The body of the natural Jazz looks huge, is it just a standard Jazz?

Hi Michael

Nice to hear from you and I hope you're well. The Jazz didn't last much longer I'm afraid as I struggle with the body shape for some reason and always look line in shooting ducks when I'm playing one! 

I decided to replace it with a stunning 2014 Classic Ray which is in absolutely spotless condition. It's a lovely weight too. 

Not quite two matching pairs, but pretty close :)

AE53F8C5-C1CD-4459-ABB6-BDBEB3D0BA27.jpeg

F35FE8C3-6858-43ED-8FF5-9E106C854E78.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Hi Michael

Nice to hear from you and I hope you're well. The Jazz didn't last much longer I'm afraid as I struggle with the body shape for some reason and always look line in shooting ducks when I'm playing one! 

I decided to replace it with a stunning 2014 Classic Ray which is in absolutely spotless condition. It's a lovely weight too. 

Not quite two matching pairs, but pretty close :)

AE53F8C5-C1CD-4459-ABB6-BDBEB3D0BA27.jpeg

F35FE8C3-6858-43ED-8FF5-9E106C854E78.jpeg

That Stingray 😍😍 I've resisted three this year that were exactly like that, stunning, just stunning.