Why become a member? ×

SWR crossover limiter bulb quick fix

ATJD

Hi all. I noticed the tweeter wasn’t working in my Goliath jr 2  cab and discovered a failed limiter Bulb in the crossover circuit. Having struggled to find a direct replacement, I sourced some 12v 10w Osram bulbs from RS components. These bulbs have an 8mm holder whereas the original is 10mm. So I decided a simple fix would be to take the 10mm holders off the original and solder them onto the Osram bulbs. This has got my tweeter working again, but if anyone could point me to a UK source of original bulbs, that would be much appreciated. 😀

78DE2CF4-7854-4C77-9E38-6177E3935DDF.jpeg

BE54D293-E3B2-4124-A27A-D98420920C0A.jpeg

942C0A7B-8A34-47BF-A419-86FD79D41F20.jpeg

If there are any numbers on the original bulb, put them into an Evilbay search and you'll probably find a few sources that will ship a couple for not much cost.  I did this recently to replace a missing mains fuse and holder on an old SWR.  From memory, those were common USA auto indicator bulbs?   

I’ve never blown one, but did have a broken fuse holder, many years ago.  I’d get a few of the old Sylvania ones posted from the US, as it looks like the LED versions are rapidly taking over - better auto bulbs, but no good at looking after your tweeter 😳

Might be worth contacting Marshall as they own Eden these days, and all the old Eden cabs used the same fuse (they designed and built the early SWR cabs). They probably have a few somewhere...